Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

The dopiaza and tikka massala are the two from that range I really don't like. Not a fan of tikka massala in general as I find it too creamy and sickly, but I agree that the dopiaza is bland, I only had it once and wouldn't bother again. I stick to the madras, rogan josh and balti!
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Try the Madras/Rogan Josh or Balti-they're packed with flavour.
    I actually have the rogan josh, balti and jalfrezi in the press so I'll try one of them tomorrow maybe.

I wouldn't be a fan or korma or tikka massala, I find them heavy and sweet tbh.

What's the madras like, is it hot? I might pick it up next week and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I actually have the rogan josh, balti and jalfrezi in the press so I'll try one of them tomorrow maybe.

I wouldn't be a fan or korma or tikka massala, I find them heavy and sweet tbh.

What's the madras like, is it hot? I might pick it up next week and try it.

The Madras is hot...not "blow your head off" but it is probably the hottest of the range.

I tried the Jalfrezi and Balti too and I found the Balti a bit sweet.

I'm like you; I don't like Tikka Masala or Kormas either.

Give the Madras a go, I reckon you'll like it.

Oh, and Aldi's naan breads are lovely, too, and only 79c for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Oh man I LOVE the Aldi Tikka Masala. In fairness though I adore sweet/creamy Indian sauces in general. Chicken Makhani is my idea of heaven. I bought a couple of the other mild/medium ones the other day, can't wait to try them.

And Loire, you're right, they are an excellent substitute for the takeaways!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Loire wrote: »
    Last night I made a chicken Tikka using a jar from Aldi. First time ever using these jars and my first time using a jar in easily 8 years. The reason I tried one is due to the reviews here about them, and boy are they right - cracking stuff! I made it with chicken, mushrooms and cherry tomtoms with boiled rice - went down a treat. We've been treating ourselves to an Indian on a Friday night recently and I'm going to cook this instead and save the 25 euro.

Thanks all!
    Loire.

Welcome to the Club! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I made a strangely 'hearty' stir fry today.

Just beans(Haricot), red onion, soy suace, chilli and garlic. Stir fried a little then put on egg noodles.

Very very tasty. The haricot went really well with the soy sauce and the chill and garlic really went well with the red onion (only lightly cooked.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Actually, just on the Aldi sauces, well the Tikka one anyway, the ingredients didn't look too bad for a jar. There's a bit of acidic ingredients and the salt is higher than I would like but the rest of the ingredients look OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Two big pieces of pan fried rainbow trout with balsamic beetroot, avocado and spinach.

I was a tad heavy handed with the natural yoghurt & horseradish sauce!

F492E9B8-4004-4974-A04D-DA8D5378DCE2_zpsgs2ruoix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Cooking club Pad Thai as made by my lovely husband.....yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Moroccan chickpea and chicken stew with mint and lime couscous. It was exquisite!

dinner_zps1c72274c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Beef and stout stew with a scoop of mash and a scoop of buttered green cabbage and a can of Beamish.

Browned the beef, removed to a plate. Threw in a know of butter and fried about 4 small cloves of roughly chopped garlic for a minute, added carrot, onion and celery, heat to medium low, lid on, sweated for 10-15 minutes giving them a stir now and then.
    Sprinkled over 1-2 tbsp of flour, stirred together, cooked for 2-3 minutes, started slowly pouring in stout (I used a can of beamish today because I was shopping in lidl and it's a good price there) adding about 1/4 the can at a time and stirring it out to stop lumps forming.
    Once all the can was in there I added about 1tbsp of tomato purée and stirred that through, then added the beef back to the pot, stirred that through and then added a handful of baby button mushrooms. Broke in a beef stock cube and topped up with a little hot water (maybe 250ml?), brought to the boil, reduced and simmered for an hour.

10329293_10152342493916294_8317846888083943687_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonight we're having buttery creamy mashed potatoes, spinach grilled streaky rashers, grilled tomatoes and fried eggs. Odd combination but nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Roesy wrote: »
    Cooking club Pad Thai as made by my lovely husband.....yum!

Hi 5!
    Deliciousness Maximus.

2014-04-30%2019.10.49_zps7uhg4wej.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Hope you don't mind TMC, but I copied your idea on the lamb :)

Grilled lamb chops with fried spinach and fried bread, served with a salad and garlic, mustard and vinegar dressing.

Thanks again for the inspiration! Was really nice and went down very well :)

13889046609_b8eafe68cf_c.jpg20140430_185918 by Oregato, on Flickr

14072510992_1301c8a14f_c.jpg20140430_185925 by Oregato, on Flickr

13889045720_ed319bfcfe_c.jpg20140430_185929 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I've had a very busy few days so on Sunday night I marinated a load chicken and left it over night

4K7JJA.jpg

Cooked it Monday so I've loads of chicken to keep me goin for a few days, and I've loads in the freezer too.

It's yummy, sticky and finger licking good!!

5wTBym.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had beef goulash tonight. I used shin beef and it was in the slow cooker all day so it was meltingly tender. We had it with baby potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

ChewChew wrote: »
    I've had a very busy few days so on Sunday night I marinated a load chicken and left it over night

Cooked it Monday so I've loads of chicken to keep me goin for a few days, and I've loads in the freezer too.

It's yummy, sticky and finger licking good!!

That looks sinfully delicious. I need to know what you marinated it in:eek:

Mine was roasted marrow bones (Thanks Hill Billy!!), with a bit of salad.
    DAJ5qUem.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A light, late dinner of stirfried veg & turkey with lots of Franks. Eaten off my new fishy plate which was bought to serve crisps and olives off but I couldnt' resist.

11db7c2813fd43ab9638cac52b8adae9_zps010928ac.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice one .Kovu.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

OREGATO wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind TMC, but I copied your idea on the lamb :)

Grilled lamb chops with fried spinach and fried bread, served with a salad and garlic, mustard and vinegar dressing.

Thanks again for the inspiration! Was really nice and went down very well :)

Looks delicious! I'd say the feta salad was lovely with it, bit of salty freshness!

For legal reasons recipe credit must go to Mr. G. Ramsey :p

Last night I made oven baked seabass with roasted garlic and lemon butter. This was served on a bed of 5 spiced cabbage.

0024C269-05E2-44B3-9CCE-4B6183EAB3FE_zpskvoluq8k.jpg

Since my dinner was simple and quick to make I wanted to make something else, the result being cappuccino cupcakesfrom Faith's recipe (cooking club). Her recipe was spot on and since I don't have a processor it was easy to do by hand.

I don't often make sweet things and certainly not indulgent desserts like these so I brought them in to work this morning much to my colleagues' pleasure/annoyance!

93A78E4D-681D-4DEB-8125-0624466CEE07_zpslet5jukn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Always a good time for a good Irish Stew with lots of pearl barley:D

5SbM7N.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonight is going to be home made spaghetti bolognese :D which I love. And tomorrow...... well tomorrow is my home made Chicken Chow Mien that some of you have asked for the recipe for. And t'will be yer lucky day as tomorrow is my day for the Cooking Club. So keep your eyes open after dinner tomorrow for the recipe to go up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

I love this thread. So I just picked a random page and found something that looked nice and decided to try it.

Tonight, chicken and broccoli bake with potato croquets and roasted spuds (croquets and roasted spuds from the freezer) the chicken and broccoli bake made with condensed chicken soup. Was nice :) Left over potato cake as well on the side

Note to self, don't use low low cheddar cheese, it doesn't burn!
    13896268590_324441c27b_c.jpg20140501_182740 by Oregato, on Flickr

14079708022_687c4daf87_c.jpg20140501_182956 by Oregato, on Flickr

14082849745_bc0c9a0159_c.jpg20140501_183002 by Oregato, on Flickr

Lamb Rogan Josh using that sauce from Aldi, again, I'm not happy with it. It lacks flavour (despite me adding in some condiments). I also added some cayenne pepper and chilli flakes and there wasn't a kick to it at all. Very disappointed. I still have the balti and jalfrezi to try so hopefully they are nice, and spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I agree I have had that sauce before and even adding in extras it 'struggles'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

In a drunken trip home last night I purchased a bag of chips and a tray of Hot'N'Spicy Wings (sauced).
    I'd been out at Pitts Bros (brisket, very impressed. Mac & Cheese, meh, I should have known that Mac N Cheese has a low "Wow" celing, unless it's the cooking club recipe) earlier in the day, so there was absolutely no need for this, but that's what alcohol does.

Anyway, I ate the chips and threw the wings into the fridge for today.
    Reheated wings were never going to be good, so I came up with a back-up plan. Asian Burritos!

Tortillias, fried rice (again, cooking club), shredded chicken wings, some spring onions, sliced water chesnuts topped with sweet chili sauce.

Awfully happy with myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Yesterday i marinated butterflied chicken fillets with olive oil, the juice of half an orange and the zest, and chopped chillies. Grilled them with peppers and onions.

Had them with noodles and beansprouts.

tonight we tried a new mexican place that opened up in Carlow. I got a burrito bowl with shredded pork, sweetcorn salsa, pinto beans, cheese and sour cream. It was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

herisson wrote: »
    Yesterday i marinated butterflied chicken fillets with olive oil, the juice of half an orange and the zest, and chopped chillies. Grilled them with peppers and onions.

Had them with noodles and beansprouts.

tonight we tried a new mexican place that opened up in Carlow. I got a burrito bowl with shredded pork, sweetcorn salsa, pinto beans, cheese and sour cream. It was nice.

*takes note*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    *takes note*

You where Bosco's used to be across from the Tullow Street entrance of Dinn Ri? Its there. Its no Boojum but oh lawd its still nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

herisson wrote: »
    You where Bosco's used to be across from the Tullow Street entrance of Dinn Ri? Its there. Its no Boojum but oh lawd its still nice.

I do indeed. Still, I've never had Mexican food out so I'll have to give it a try next time I'm down. Thanks for the tip :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was pan fried cod lightly dusted in seasoned flour and crushed fennel, oriental stir fry mixed veg and steamed Jasmine rice.

2014-05-01%2018.48.35_zpsr2wza1ay.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement