Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night was a delicious tuna steak that I picked up on Saturday, simply seasoned with S&P and lime juice. Served with sauteed potatoes and wilted spinach.

5AC94F26-21FF-49F8-B0E9-8250D8F115F3_zpsap8hvmxc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well, after a couple of evenings just having sambos I did myself starter & main last night.

Roasted marrow bones with toast & garden salad (a bit heavy on the french dressing)...
    304797.jpg

Ribeye with fried onion & tomato gravy & sauteed spuds...
    304798.jpg

Barbera d'Asti for swallying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried and grilled chicken thighs; potato rosti; braised sweetheart cabbage; pea, baby broad bean and edamame mix; pan juices.

8jDVdD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

At Hill Billy, where'd you get the marrow bones, had them once in South Africa, they were delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night I was too late for Boojum (Sunday hours always catch me!) So we went into the noodle place next door. I think it's called Wok Inn. Anyways, it was absolutely delish. I got the chicken noodles with sweet sauce and a chicken satay skewer. The skewer had amazing flavour, chicken was a bit dry but it was very tasty. The chicken noodles were very tasty as well, nice bit of a spicy kick throughout.

I was both tipsy and hungover, though, so I'll have to go back in better shape to give it a proper go :D

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    At Hill Billy, where'd you get the marrow bones, had them once in South Africa, they were delicious

I those from the meat chiller in my local supermarket here in Switz.

But, just ask your local butcher - they should be able to give you a few. A mate of mine gets them from my butcher back home in Skerries for his dogs to chew on.

I those from the meat chiller in my local supermarket here in Switz.

But, just ask your local butcher - they should be able to give you a few. A mate of mine gets them from my butcher back home in Skerries for his dogs to chew on.

Cheers Hill Billy
    I have a butcher and he's top notch and generally very helpful if you ask for stuff like that ;) must say it to him the next order I'm putting into him. He's sound out like that. When i did the christmas order I asked him to stick in a few bones for the dog and there was a massive bag of them when i went in to collect it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Chili con carne with brown rice. A family favourite in our house.

Nice one Brinty. Just ask him to saw them into 2 inch rounds. Sprinkle with sea salt & 15 minutes in a 220C oven. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Had a chicken and chick pea Korma with cauliflower rice. Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Lasagne for us tonight, with plenty of cheese. Yum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sweet chilli chicken & noodles nom nom

304858.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I visited my folks house and we had roast chicken with lots of veg. And wine.

We had ice cream cones for dessert and I was instructed by my 4 year old niece to ensure the ice cream went all the way down the cone. I spent ages filling the feckin thing and then got my own back by telling her I put her leftover broccoli in the bottom of the cone mixed with ice cream. I've never seen a child eat a cone with such suspicion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Guys & Gals, I think we all need to go a bit easy here...the standard is just getting too high! Some serious food envy going on with me!!

We had my Dad over Friday night and fillet steaks with onions, green beans and roast potatoes. Washed it down with a few bottles of wine and a nice bourbon afterwards.

Sat night we had ribeye steaks - first time buying these from Ashley O'Neills in the English Market (usually buy lamb and pork there) and mother of God they were the nicest steaks I've ever eaten! Polished off with 2 bottles of St. Emillion.

Milanos for family pizza on Sunday

Last night we had my bestest ever lasagne. It was in the slow cooker for 6 hours on Sunday and rested overnight. Mrs. Loire made a salad with a load of herbs from the garden and it was divine....LOVE this time of year when fresh herbs can be picked for free and transform a meal!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Grilled Lamb last night which I picked up from the butcher. Had a disappointing experience with some very fatty lamb over Easter but these pieces were spot on. Seasoned with lots of cracked pepper and some sea salt.

Served with fried bread and wilted spinach (ingredient of the week!). I made a garlic, mustard and red wine vinegar dressing to top.

A3096DAE-0F82-469B-B8C3-59DB052FFA58_zpsc5qg3n8r.jpg

Loire wrote: »
    Guys & Gals, I think we all need to go a bit easy here...the standard is just getting too high! Some serious food envy going on with me!!

We had my Dad over Friday night and fillet steaks with onions, green beans and roast potatoes. Washed it down with a few bottles of wine and a nice bourbon afterwards.

Sat night we had ribeye steaks - first time buying these from Ashley O'Neills in the English Market (usually buy lamb and pork there) and mother of God they were the nicest steaks I've ever eaten! Polished off with 2 bottles of St. Emillion.

Milanos for family pizza on Sunday

Last night we had my bestest ever lasagne. It was in the slow cooker for 6 hours on Sunday and rested overnight. Mrs. Loire made a salad with a load of herbs from the garden and it was divine....LOVE this time of year when fresh herbs can be picked for free and transform a meal!

Loire.

Is that not the idea Loire, that we all help each other out and improve ;)

Had rib eyes on Sunday cooked by Mrs Brinty, they were savage good

I did boring oul Spag bol last night, threw in a bit of paprika and tabasco to spice it up a bit, lovely smokey taste off it and a little punch to it

Must start into making up some good salads now we're heading into the summer!!

brinty wrote: »
    Is that not the idea Loire, that we all help each other out and improve ;)

Was only joking...should've put in a smiley or something :pac:

A pretty light dinner that was big on taste last night.

Tri tip steak, done on the gas BBQ/grill thinly sliced with a teriyaki(ish) sauce.
    Pickled beetroot, carrot, ginger and garlic.
    Salad of red mustard leaves and rocket with a miso wasabi dressing incorporating the red pickling vinegar.
    Japanese rice.

7468DA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Chicken Maryland with feta, cherry tomatoes, watercress, rocket and baby spinach salad in homemade French dressing.

2014-04-29%2020.35.43_zpsqhicj2yw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chilli conHOMNOMNOM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I made this salad with cherry tomatoes, cashew nuts, broccoli and feta cheese with a grilled chicken fillet.

I found i really dont like feta :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Went to my parents today. Dad cooked home-made Irish stew (old family recipe!) which was delicious.
    It's never too warm for stew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

This looks faitlly normal, but... I recently bought a water oven, so pork fillet, remp set at 64degrees C... and 4 hours oh the timer, short cut by filling with hot water and cut the warm up time.
    The result, soft succulent pork. quickly seared in a hot pan, cut and served.

Together with roast apple, with some cloves and cinnamon, Greek salad, feta cheese, black olives and tomatoes... new potatoes, again in the water oven.

Followed by Strawbs and Chantilly cream, the strawbs were cut and dressed with icing sugar and allowed to stand.

72QcwW.jpg

5ANWeH.jpg

herisson wrote: »

I found i really dont like feta :o

I just don't get feta either.
    I generally dislike cheese in salad.
    The only exception I can think of is tomato, mozzarella and basil which I love (even with crappy mozzarella) but generally, cheese with salady ingredients doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight I made Dopiaza using the sauce from Aldi with the spices on top, have to say, I'm not sure if it is for me.

I didn't add any seasoning to it as I wasn't sure if it would be hot or salty or what so I just cooked it and used the spices that were in the lid.

It was very bland (due to the lack of seasoning I imagine), and it had a sweetish flavour, there was also no kick to it. I don't particularly like hot dishes, but balti, rogan josh and newari dishes are nice and have a kick without setting me on fire and I was disappointed this one didn't have that kick.

I'm half tempted to try it again and fire in a load of cayenne pepper or chilli flakes or something....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Quinoa pizza base with a topping of buffalo mozzarella, anchovies and black olives. Nom!

Last night I made a chicken Tikka using a jar from Aldi. First time ever using these jars and my first time using a jar in easily 8 years. The reason I tried one is due to the reviews here about them, and boy are they right - cracking stuff! I made it with chicken, mushrooms and cherry tomtoms with boiled rice - went down a treat. We've been treating ourselves to an Indian on a Friday night recently and I'm going to cook this instead and save the 25 euro.

Thanks all!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tonight I made Dopiaza using the sauce from Aldi with the spices on top, have to say, I'm not sure if it is for me.

I didn't add any seasoning to it as I wasn't sure if it would be hot or salty or what so I just cooked it and used the spices that were in the lid.

It was very bland (due to the lack of seasoning I imagine), and it had a sweetish flavour, there was also no kick to it. I don't particularly like hot dishes, but balti, rogan josh and newari dishes are nice and have a kick without setting me on fire and I was disappointed this one didn't have that kick.

I'm half tempted to try it again and fire in a load of cayenne pepper or chilli flakes or something....?

Try the Madras/Rogan Josh or Balti-they're packed with flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The dopiaza and tikka massala are the two from that range I really don't like. Not a fan of tikka massala in general as I find it too creamy and sickly, but I agree that the dopiaza is bland, I only had it once and wouldn't bother again. I stick to the madras, rogan josh and balti!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

tmc86 wrote: »
    Grilled Lamb last night which I picked up from the butcher. Had a disappointing experience with some very fatty lamb over Easter but these pieces were spot on. Seasoned with lots of cracked pepper and some sea salt.

Served with fried bread and wilted spinach (ingredient of the week!). I made a garlic, mustard and red wine vinegar dressing to top.

TMC, that looks amazing, I'm definitely going to try that this evening!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement