Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Tonight we had sweet potato mash, red cabbage with onion, nutmeg and balsamic vinegar sauteed with slow cooked ribs using a recipe I got off here.

The sauce will be getting used for chicken tomorrow and were thinking maybe on some slow cooked beef or pork the weekend.

9cfe176e-bb53-4ac8-99da-5d12291dc52e_zpsa554ba28.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

More spaghetti, wild garlic pesto & cod. With accompanying belly, chest & neck burns from where I splashed the butter I was frying the cod in onto my top :( Clever.

8cd464378f3142e39321a82cfdcc6947_zpsbc599c94.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

59DE54B032324379903D7C279D61D1BD-0000353053-0003558814-00800L-EBD1BF7C96774D6CB2C24F4C96DF428E.jpg

Filled Conchiglie - less messy to work with than Cannelloni ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Homemade chilli con carne with rice and wraps :)

Washed down with a glass of red

14117079505_86d7f61330_c.jpg20140505_213409 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Potato, garlic & watercress soup with floury baps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

More spaghetti, wild garlic pesto & cod. With accompanying belly, chest & neck burns from where I splashed the butter I was frying the cod in onto my top :( Clever.

<mod snip>

Love the fishy dishy MissFlithworth!

sillymoo wrote: »
    Love the fishy dishy MissFlithworth!

Thanks! This is the cooking equivalent of a 'Penneys, five euro' reply to a complement on my shoes but they're from Tiger and were really pocket friendly (€3 for the fish I keep eating off and €5 for a larger serving fish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night was medium-rare steak, pepper sauce, chipper chips, onion rings. And more asparagus.

After a hard day studying, I deserved all those bad fats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Quinoa pizza base recipe from the cooking club with mozzarella, Gouda and port salute slices. (I'm lactose intolerant but worth it).

Sweet potato fries topped with paprika and then garlic tear apart bread. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night I had a marinated duck fillet, pan fried and finished in the oven. Mushrooms cooked in the duck juices and grilled asparagus. Served with sauteed potato cubes which were seasoned with a garlic and coriander oil.

6188578D-6D2C-42B3-B64E-76B86EF07673_zps0zvalqvf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Yesterday's dinner was a half a sheet of puff pastry with red pesto, Aldi Angus meatballs that I tore up into little chunks, a chopped up red chilli, cherry toms and mozzarella, with a generous dollop of Frank's. My first time making what I shall now call a "puff pastry pizza" and byjaysus, twas good. Ridiculously easy to make and smells unbelievable while cooking as well.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

fussyonion wrote: »
    Here's the porridge bread whoopsadaisydoodles has been telling us all about in the "What have you eaten/drank so far today" thread:

Oh man. That looked so good I memorised the recipe, ran into the kitchen and made it straight away.

Unfortunately, I'm old, and my short-term memory would make a goldfish blush, so I used baking powder instead of bread soda. The recipe also didn't specify an oven temperature, so I went with my default "safe" setting of 180 (I'm guessing 200 would be a better bet).

And it was still awesome.

I can't wait to make it again, only without screwing it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Oh man. That looked so good I memorised the recipe, ran into the kitchen and made it straight away.

Unfortunately, I'm old, and my short-term memory would make a goldfish blush, so I used baking powder instead of bread soda. The recipe also didn't specify an oven temperature, so I went with my default "safe" setting of 180 (I'm guessing 200 would be a better bet).

I made it too, I wasn't that impressed, even with a LOT of cooking it is a very dense bread. Almost like those European black breads. I might try it again however if you were suffering from a lack of roughage in the diet, it'd be great!

Animord wrote: »
    I made it too, I wasn't that impressed, even with a LOT of cooking it is a very dense bread. Almost like those European black breads.

Heh. Her Indoors is Danish; we thrive on thon dark-ass rye breads. This was positively fluffy by comparison. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Another puff pastry pizza this evening, this time with basil pesto, Black Forest Ham, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and a nice shake of hot chili flakes.

I thought it looked awesome before it went into the oven so I included a 'before' pic as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I put it at 180c but my oven is a fan oven and I cooked it for 50 minutes.
    I thought it was brilliant :)

Heh. Her Indoors is Danish; we thrive on thon dark-ass rye breads. This was positively fluffy by comparison. :)

lol - fair enough, if I had been expecting something dense I might have enjoyed it more. I did think if it was sliced very thinly with smoked salmon or something on top it would have been good. I will have some more tomorrow to give it another chance! And I put too much bread soda in which gave it a slight flavour of indigestion remedy... I will give in another go next weekend.

Animord wrote: »
    I did think if it was sliced very thinly with smoked salmon or something on top it would have been good.

Strangely enough, we had it for lunch with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and it was, indeed, very good.

Strangely enough, we had it for lunch with cream cheese and smoked salmon, and it was, indeed, very good.

Clearly great minds do think alike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I cooked the duck differently to normal after a conversation I had last week about cooking duck breast (with a 22 year old:eek:). I simply scored the skin as usual and put the breasts, skin side down in a cold pan and put on a medium heat. What was different is that I never turned the breasts, just spooned the hot fat over them periodically. When I guessed that they were done, I put them on a warm plate to rest for 10 minutes. They were quite rare but meltingly tender. Usually if cooked this rare they'd be a bit chewy. The meat is never in contact with the hot surface and has a lovely thick layer of skin and fat protecting it so it never gets shocked and contracts. Definitely my new way of doing duck breasts.
    When it comes to food you never stop learning :D

I had duck breast cooked like this - it was awesome. Thanks for the tip. On the side I had some spinach and cauliflower cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Went vegetarian tonight. Courgette and leek risotto with halumi cheese

7B21E2FE-24E4-49BD-9762-BE9195EFAE4E_zpswn39ga1p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

We had savory mince with lots of carrots, turnips, celery and onion, served with baby steamed potatoes, baby corn and fine green beans.

Bowl of freezer and fridge scraps. Soya beans, steamed carrots, quorn fillets & halloumi. All swimming in Franks. No photos as it was a bit ugly looking. (Also am watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi while eating and feeling like a serious underachiever. I don't think Jiro would touch my bowl of green stuff and white stuff swimming in orange stuff with the longest chopstick in Japan)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Bit of a left over stir fry tonight :).

37803fa8-d173-4cf3-85cb-b94e30665f2c_zps61503da7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A simple chinese chicken noodle soup. Poached a whole chicken with ginger, garlic, spring onion, star anise, white peppercorns, soy, shaoshing rice wine and a couple of spoons of tahini.

Shredded the chicken and ladled the strained stock over noodles, shredded napa cabbage and finely sliced spring onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chinese cabbage, chicken and prawn stirfry, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

It was duck again last night, pan fried and finished in the oven with a pinch of 5 spice.

I thought I had noodles in the press but I was wrong so I looked to the spaghetti as the next best thing! Cooked with spring onion, water chesnut, red chili and sesame seeds.

I used the duck juices from the pan with some soy sauce and honey to make a sticky sauce which I eventually drizzled over the dish.

18375769-4CE2-450F-92CF-B9610AAB4D75_zpsfqdhmeca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Mexican spiced beef in babygem lettuce served with peppers and some leaves

669097C8-AE0E-472B-BE74-D768D61A6DAC_zpsozstzsxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night we had a small dinner of the last of the lo mai gai that I'd made for Chinese New Year along with Monday's sticky pork hock leftovers.

Was still hungry later so I got out of the freezer, the last couple of pieces of boudin blanc that some friends brought from The Ardenne over Christmas. I defrosted and pan fried these and served with a little french bread, a sliced pickle, the last of the homemade pickles and lots of Dijon mustard. Yummy second dinner!

7G2wRA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yummy second dinner!

Shouldn't that be posted in the 'Here's what we had for our second dinner last night' tread. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement