Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mrs Loire's birthday yesterday so I'll be cooking something decent at the weekend, but last night I cooked roast Hake with roast baby potatoes and green beans. Washed down with a Cremant de Loire and a nice chocolate cake. Mrs Loire loves her steak so into the English Market tomorrow morning to look for a pair of the finest Rib Eye's in town!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Last night I ended up having a cheese burger from the butchers with onions, tomato and lettuce in a bun, and it was delicious. Thoroughly scrumptious. Hadn't had it in ages so it was really nice to have for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Vietnamese roast chicken from the cooking club, grilled turmeric aubergine, steamed rice in chicken stock, cucumber batons and cherry tomatoes.

2014-05-02%2017.54.01_zpsc6iipjsr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Spaghetti meatballs with a homemade tomato sauce. Well, tiny Angus beef burgers from Aldi. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonight is my Cooking Club Chicken Chow Mien. Keeps your eyes open later :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had this lovely Shepherd's Pie one night during the week.

I made it with about 100g of mince beef (I buy 2lbs a week and portion it off; you don't realise you're only eating a little amount as all my meals are bulked out with veg).

Topped with mashed potato, cheddar and rosemary:

2ir7l39.jpg

Here's some more pics;

We had lemon sole..lightly dusted..(from Aldi), with roasted vegetable couscous and salad:

31523c2.jpg

Then we had barbecue chicken grill with couscous and salad:

288zd4n.jpg

And tonight we had cajun chicken breast, salad and baby potatoes; it was very spicy:

vcs00i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Just ordered a Chinese prawn curry hope it hurrys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It has been a bit of a Thai weekend in the Billy household. Last night was a 'soupy' Thai green curry with chicken, string beans, & mange tout.

This evening I baked a fillet of hake 'en papillote' with ginger, chili & lime. I served it with purple sprouting broccoli, scallions & sweet corn stir fried in a red curry sauce with noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight was supposed to be garlic roast chicken. And as usual the whole show was delayed and dinner is still not cooked or served, so I've given up on it now.

So I am settling for beer and pringles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I worked in a thai greenhouse with an amazing thai chef/boss called mali... she opened my eyes to thai cuisine.. she taught me also
    It has been a bit of a Thai weekend in the Billy household. Last night was a 'soupy' Thai green curry with chicken, string beans, & mange tout.

This evening I baked a fillet of hake 'en papillote' with ginger, chili & lime. I served it with purple sprouting broccoli, scallions & sweet corn stir fried in a red curry sauce with noodles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Qourn mince, flavoured with black pepper and soy sauce, with sundried tomatoes, spinach, broccoli and prawns thrown in that were marinated in garlic and chilli. I had it with basmati rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

We ate in Anocht in Kilkenny Design Centre, wow wow wow, gorgeous! I had a veggie main, full of flavour, potato and herb pancake with goats cheese, boyfriend had a Trio of fish, batteted cod and chips, monkfish wrapped in parma ham, and smoked haddock with mash, it was sublime, starters and desserts delicious too, would HIGHLY reccommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Another quiche with sausage meat. Bit of a panic when I realised I was low on supplies. Only one egg, no onion and not much else bar a pepper. Forgot to top it with cheese...

WP_002208_zpsb6a8297e.jpg

I was also a bit distracted by looking forward to me rhubarb crumble. Just a pop outside to pick it and stew it for a few minutes and into the pan with it...

WP_002205_zps5d4e86c2.jpg

Looks cooked...

WP_002210_zpsb9c3b65c.jpg

and served with double cream 'all shook up' in a jam jar...you can see the jam jar lid there....

WP_002211_zps0a3cd45c.jpg

nomnomnomnomnomnom...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Dinner was lovely. Recipe is up

Here's the porridge bread whoopsadaisydoodles has been telling us all about in the "What have you eaten/drank so far today" thread:

Made it last night and it was amazing!

1 large tub of low-fat natural yogurt
    2 tubs of porridge oats
    1 tsp of bread soda.

Mixed all together and lobbed into a loaf tin and baked for 50 minutes.

2i1e0bp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Home made fajitas tonight with home made tortilla wraps and fajita paste. Also made guacamole. Took a while but well worth it :) Went down very well :)

13921635579_eb864926d8_c.jpg20140504_220038 by Oregato, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I was away on my travels this weekend and got to go to gorgeous Coole Park, which was nearly entirely ankle deep in wild garlic. So I made wild garlic pesto for the first time ever and tonight we had spaghetti with pesto & a drop of cream and cod baked in pesto. It was glorious, I'm looking forward to many more pesto dinners, but we have breath you could melt a hole in a steel door with. Garlic dragons.

30ba36e4-86c1-4b66-b208-c359c7cada18_zps737a2fcc.jpg
    7492482e-3a86-47ac-b66b-a1e2764912a3_zps898e5fef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I didn't cook all weekend. Friday night we ordered in from the local Indian. We shared chicken rogan josh, pilau rice, garlic naan, onion bhajis, and popadoms.
    On Saturday night we ate out. For starters I had fivemiletown goats cheese. Main course was a divine melt in the mouth 10oz dry aged rib eye steak which was served with triple cooked chips, brandy pepper sauce and onions and cherry tomatoes. I had lemon tart with baileys coffee for dessert.
    Last night was take away again. Chinese. Chicken curry with noodles and chips.
    Cooking dinner today. Steamed potatoes. Carrot and turnip. Green beans. Filet steak. Pepper sauce. Looking forward to it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I was away on my travels this weekend and got to go to gorgeous Coole Park, which was nearly entirely ankle deep in wild garlic. So I made wild garlic pesto for the first time ever and tonight we had spaghetti with pesto & a drop of cream and cod baked in pesto. It was glorious, I'm looking forward to many more pesto dinners, but we have breath you could melt a hole in a steel door with. Garlic dragons.

Not even 10am and I would eat that whole thing right now! It looks amazing.

Would you mind sharing the wild garlic pesto recipe please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yes, I'd like it too! I'm in Kerry and the place is equally covered in wild garlic. I've never used it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I used this one

http://www.donalskehan.com/2012/04/wild-garlic-pesto/

never made it before, think I might be a convert to the ways of wild garlic now! Although I've never spotted it growing in Dublin. I kept talking about how our dinner was 'foraged' to the point of obnoxiousness last night :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had a buffet dinner last night for Mr. Dizzy's birthday. I cooked more than 4kg of pulled pork (in two slow cookers), we had coleslaw, lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, roasted baby potatoes, potato salad and floury baps. I made two big pavlovas for dessert, and then we had birthday cake.
    No photos because of the guests!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night was bacon, cabbage, mash, parsley sauce and, uhm, asparagus.

Dem glazed bacon bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

fussyonion wrote: »
    Here's the porridge bread whoopsadaisydoodles has been telling us all about in the "What have you eaten/drank so far today" thread:

Made it last night and it was amazing!

1 large tub of low-fat natural yogurt
    2 tubs of porridge oats
    1 tsp of bread soda.

Mixed all together and lobbed into a loaf tin and baked for 50 minutes

Oooooh! Going to try this today! What temperature did you put it on at?

cosmic wrote: »
    Oooooh! Going to try this today! What temperature did you put it on at?

180c but my oven is a fan oven, so you may need to adjust your temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night we had falafel, with some red cabbage and onion, cheese, garlic and chilli sauce with whole wheat pitta bread.

fe417f22-e864-48b8-a115-c35c146ec0a8_zpsf3bf3a0e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday we had rare, Chinese spiced pan fried duck breast with a redcurrant, plum and soy dressing with lemon and ginger scented sweetheart cabbage. Some of the pickled beetroot, carrot, garlic and ginger from last week. After, we had some mustard leaves, rocket and water cress with a dressing made of the duck sauce and some of the pickle vinegar.

I cooked the duck differently to normal after a conversation I had last week about cooking duck breast (with a 22 year old:eek:). I simply scored the skin as usual and put the breasts, skin side down in a cold pan and put on a medium heat. What was different is that I never turned the breasts, just spooned the hot fat over them periodically. When I guessed that they were done, I put them on a warm plate to rest for 10 minutes. They were quite rare but meltingly tender. Usually if cooked this rare they'd be a bit chewy. The meat is never in contact with the hot surface and has a lovely thick layer of skin and fat protecting it so it never gets shocked and contracts. Definitely my new way of doing duck breasts.
    When it comes to food you never stop learning :D

6zHb9g.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ *drools*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Today we had slow cooked free range pork hock with dark, sweet, rich, spicy, sticky Chinese sauce. Thai rice. Wilted kale from the garden. Amazing depth of flavours!

6wNh6D.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement