Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

A John Dory fillet fried in butter with mushy peas earlier. Then was away all evening so just sitting down to a cauliflower/green bean/courgette curry with linguine as I ran out of noodles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

A meal of various snacks for a very dear friend arriving to visit me

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

We had our first BBQ of the year. We kept it simple and just had burgers from the butchers. I made home made chips and served with salad. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Following last weeks success I was 'advised' that the Red Thai Seafood curry (but better....) was sought.

So some minor tweaks later the same recipe (prawn, hake and monkfish) got the thumbs up as being 'better' which left me sort of content but also sort of how do you better better??

Back to some decent red meat for the next couple of days to balance things out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Tonights dinner is going on as I type. Doing steamed baby shpuds, grilled baby tomatoes, lemon sole and samphire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I had chocolate banana cake for dinner. 2 slices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm having a salt rimmed, study-margarita for dinner. I am supposedly doing project work but instead drinking at my desk, as a nice friend brought me duty free tequila. But, because I am 'doing work' I am exempt from cooking, so it's hard, limey likker till my partner gets home from work and makes actual dinner.

It's a bit orange looking because I had no triple sec so I tried putting squeezed mandarin juice in. Desperation being the mother of innovation & all that.

4953a80df7de47bd93d65b6af2e5c0fc_zps5b31a10e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

I had chocolate banana cake for dinner. 2 slices!

I love bold dinners! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Had a yummy goat's cheese, sweet potato and spinach pie today. So tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Threw some shrimp on the barbie tonight. :)

4YEP4Z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Pang wrote: »
    Had a yummy goat's cheese, sweet potato and spinach pie today. So tasty!

Oooohh, recipe?? That sounds awesome!

Chicken breast baked in homemade fiery BBQ sauce with broccoli and yummy Maris Piper roasties! :)

e96uf6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Saturday: Had a burrito bowl in Boojum: mexican rice, veg, beef, sweetcorn salsa, cheese and sour cream

Today, roast duck breasts in orange sauce, with peas, carrots, broccoli and garlic roasted potatoes.

homemade trifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

So tonights offering will be - a herb crusted stuffed shoulder of lamb, steamed baby spuds, steamed carrots and beans (wanted something better but for the life of me couldn't find anything) and mint sauce. Followed by an Eton mess style thingy - crushed meringue, light cream, fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, banana, orange, red grapes, green grapes, mango, grapefruit) with a strawberry coulis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Threw a birthday party for my girlfriend, so I cooked a big pot of chilli, pulled pork, mac & cheese and a rocket & avacado salad. Made some bbq sauces and guacamole too, we had about 25 guests so it was the biggest group I'd ever cooked for, everyone seemed to really enjoy the food. I had a few (well-earned) whiskey sours afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

We had Bruschetta pomodoro to start. For the main we had "7 hour roast lamb" from the BBC website, served with steamed new potatoes and greens. I also made a gravy from the meat juices and garlic/parsley butter.
    Dessert was poached pears in red wine, from the same BBC site, with cream and orange segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried duck breasts, braised sweetheart cabbage, potato rosti, rhubarb, ginger and thyme sauce.

5fFV7H.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

Are you a professional chef, the beer revolu? That looks unbelievable. Especially the rosti. Mine always end up a gloopy, sticky mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was a BBQ with old friends. Lamb chops, sausages, burgers & wings with wedges & a plethora of salads. The strawberry, basil & cucumber salad went down a treat with adults & kids alike.

This evening we had a roast sirloin joint with roast carrots, parsnips, squash & spuds. I'm having a Rolo Easter egg for dessert. :)

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Are you a professional chef, the beer revolu? That looks unbelievable. Especially the rosti. Mine always end up a gloopy, sticky mess.

Nope. Just a keen home cook.
    The trick with the rosti is (if using raw potato - I do) to put the grated potato in a teatowel and squeeze as much liquid as you possibly can out of the potato.

I wasn't very happy with that rosti - I left it sitting around for too long before cooking it and the potato went a bit brown. It tasted fine but the colour was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Recipe please beer revolu! :pac:

You really should write a book or a blog or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Roast chicken today for the first time in ages! Accompanied by sage and thyme stuffing, carrots, parsnips, butternut squash and brocolli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Another roast chicken dinner here. Stuffed the bird with sage and onion stuffing, had roast spuds and carrots, braised gem lettuce with peas and mint, mashed potato and gravy.

Dessert was apple and rhubarb crumble with fresh cream.

Minder wrote: »
    Another roast chicken dinner here. Stuffed the bird with sage and onion stuffing, had roast spuds and carrots, braised gem lettuce with peas and mint, mashed potato and gravy.

Dessert was apple and rhubarb crumble with fresh cream.

All of this is my dream Sunday lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Not admitting what I had for dinner <averts eyes from shameful pile of Easter Egg boxes> but have had a late night snack of half bagel, strong, strong cheddar and Franks. Delightful.

3bcc42baca4447aea99a40c9e1c52463_zpsa3d671c8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Managed to get the barbie working before it rained - Barefoot Contessa's Tuscan Lemon Chicken spatchcocked, Caesar salad with Neven Maguire's dressing, homemade beef burgers, spiced chicken skewers and five spice pork skewers. Mary Berry's Sherry trifle for dessert.
    Started to shower before we could start the egg hunt, so held it off till today. There are some drowned chocolate eggs in the garden now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Had a big family BBQ yesterday (despite the weather). We had sausages, steaks, chicken, rack of lamb, mixed bean salad, pesto potatoes, pasta salad, smoked salmon and brown bread, homemade barbecue sauce (secret family recipe :D).

Dessert was Mars Bar treats from the cooking club with Cadbury's Mini Eggs on top, cheesecake, banoffi, chocolate-covered strawberries, and meringues.

Then after a few hours in the pub we had drunken barbecued cheeseburgers.

I don't need to eat for a week...

We ate the Easter Bunny yesterday!:eek:

A meal of lots of wild and foraged food.
    Nettle and wild garlic soup with Greek style yoghurt, walnut oil and wild garlic flower.
    Pan fried wild rabbit saddle, rabbit legs stewed with beer and mustard, wilted sea spinach, mashed golden wonders.

Lots of healthy greens!

5AghaX.jpg

7kuPgf.jpg

awec wrote: »
    Recipe please beer revolu! :pac:

You really should write a book or a blog or something!

Hmm I often can't give simple recipes for things I cook.

Here's my rosti method.

As for the sauce: I fried an onion and some finely chopped smoked bacon for a few minutes. Then I added a spoonfull of homemade rhubarb and ginger jam and some reduced stock and then further reduced the lot until the desired consistenc, then added in some fresh thyme leaves.

The cabbage is just finely sliced and cooked for a few minutes in a little butter, a tiny drop of water and salt and pepper. Sweetheart is a lovely cabbage.

Duck breast: carefully slash the skin, season and place skin side down in a good frying pant over a moderate heat. When nicely golden, turn over and put the pan in a medium hot oven for about 8 minutes. The duck shouldn't be cooked any more than medium rare and will be like shoe leather if you don't let it rest for at least 10 minutes. Sorry I can't be more specific regarding the duck but it really is a matter of trial and error and loads of practise (I've had lots of over/under cooked and boot leather duck breast over the years.)

This thread is my blog/book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Nope. Just a keen home cook.
    The trick with the rosti is (if using raw potato - I do) to put the grated potato in a teatowel and squeeze as much liquid as you possibly can out of the potato.

I wasn't very happy with that rosti - I left it sitting around for too long before cooking it and the potato went a bit brown. It tasted fine but the colour was wrong.

Another way I found out when we were out of kitchen paper was to put it in a cauldron and use a hair dryer on top heat for a while. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement