Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

Neven Maguires Thai red curry with butternut squash, greens beans, sugarsnap, pepper, mushrooms and I added some sneaky chicken too!
    C7A3F1B2-045C-4548-94C7-A5981B4BAE79_zpsba1g6wbp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight was quinoa base pizza from the cooking club, with last night's leftover today chicken, chorizo, peppers red onion and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Oh. My. God.

Just back from Pitt Bros.

Died and went to heaven. Too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Nasi goreng with prawns and veg.

IMAG1544-1_zps6f122ddd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Homemade burritos

lime fragrant rice, refried beans, seasoning, pepers, onions and pork strips

with wedges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Pork stirfry with peppers, mushrooms, onions and noodles. Despite adding soy sauce, honey and cayenne pepper, it kinda tasted of nothing.:( and I made enough for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

^^^ I hate when that happens, you end up standing over the pan trying to think of random things to add to cheer up the flavour but sometimes nothing seems to work.

I used my recently acquired maris pipers to make home-made oven chips according to Gordon Ramsay's method and Oh My Goodness, they are goooood.

He says to blanch them for 3 minutes then toss in oil and seasoning, then cook in as hot an oven as you can get. Fortunately mine goes up to 270 which meant that in 15-20 minutes, the outsides got that delicious crispness you get with perfect roast potatoes while the insides were fluffy and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Chloebeag

I made a mild spaghetti arabiatta with garlic bread. Could of done with another chili but the little people were eating with us :)
    We ate it Al Fresco, nearly felt like we were on our holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Tonight was quinoa base pizza from the cooking club, with last night's leftover today chicken, chorizo, peppers red onion and cheese.

How did the pizza taste first timer at this quinoa stuff I'm wondering is it worth a try does it end up looking like a "real" pizza .... Excuse my ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've genuinely just finished one of Wurly's quinoa base pizzas in the 5 minutes and it was Awesome with a capital A. It looks like real pizza and you get proper slices you can pick up and savage. You won't get air bubbles or anything in the dough and it doesn't have that wheaty, yeasty pizza smell but I'd eat this over a Dr Oetker any day.

16653b88-09fb-4412-96e1-159d74be7e35_zps4c26251e.jpg

I think next time I'll put a little beer in the dough to get a yeasty smell but apart from that I'll change nothing!

• Advertisement

An al fresco for us too. Striploin steak medium rare, with wild rocket, cherry tomatoes, sauteed onion and mushroom, fried egg over easy and a French dressing that split but still tasted ok. I love evenings like these I do.

2014-04-15%2019.00.34_zpsip9c3cn3.jpg

I think next time I'll put a little beer in the douch to get a yeasty smell but apart from that I'll change nothing!

Beer in whaaaaaah?:o

Beer in whaaaaaah?:o

Oh Jesus, ugh!!!!! Time for a flying edit...

gjc wrote: »
    How did the pizza taste first timer at this quinoa stuff I'm wondering is it worth a try does it end up looking like a "real" pizza .... Excuse my ignorance

The base is crispy, there's a wholemeal taste to it when you eat the edges, like a thicker special K. I thought it was really delicious. Except for the edges, when sliced it does look like real pizza. Can't believe how easy and wholesome it was. I'd recommend you try it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Striploin steak (cooked medium rare) with garlic potatoes and some roast pepper.

I spilled half of it when trying to cut my steak, plate tipped up. :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Mum cooked today and she cooked ham fillet, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, cabbage cooked in the ham water, carrots and peas.
    It was gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Enjoyed my potato gratin last week so much, I had another go this evening. This time with cheese and green bell pepper aswell as leek and onion.

Dished it out before remembering to photograph it!

WP_002057_zps34e36dec.jpg

I haven't had spuds much in the last ten or more years, mostly sticky rice. Old school cooking with pressure cooker has put me off, what with the big wash-up. This is far better.

With two pieces of Manor Farm/Tesco chicken. Delicious.

WP_002058_zps1583ff89.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Been a while since I have posted in here. Dinner this evening was fairly simple. Served with rice also.
    10014537_711957592179801_1998717548777515205_n.jpg

Bison Bar bbq -brisket with burnt end beans and fries.

Tasty, but Pitt Bros was way better.

Where is this Pitt Bros that you speak of? What do they do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

We were in the mood for something light and summery so we had roasted Sriracha and Honey marinaded Chicken Legs with chips and home-made sundried tomato, rosemary, black olive and mozzarella focaccia.

Served with a salad of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onion, lemon slices and pickled Greek chillies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had Pork with Apple, Ginger and Sage taken from the Bord Bia Website. It was beautiful, the flavours worked really well and the chunks of apple were like little pockets of apple sauce. I served it with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots.

Pork-with-Apple-Ginger-and-Sage.jpg

I think it's a Nevin Maguire recipe as there's a video of him preparing the dish in the link, although his cooking method slightly differs.

Where is this Pitt Bros that you speak of? What do they do?

It's a place on George's St - serves barbeque food. Pulled pork, sausages, ribs, etc with various sides like fries, slaw, etc. They also have a free ice-cream cone machine. Very, very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It's a place on George's St - serves barbeque food. Pulled pork, sausages, ribs, etc with various sides like fries, slaw, etc. They also have a free ice-cream cone machine. Very, very tasty.

Wheres Bison bar??
    Saw Pitt bros last night was driving past (what a pity i din't go in) but its on my list to try??
    Always thought there was a gap in the market for a decent BBQ place in Dublin...seems to be getting answered now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friday we had lasagne (I made a big batch last week and froze it into portions, so just defrosted two portions), with a salad and home-made skinny chips done in my Actifry

Just have to say, those chips look amazing. I'm a skinny fries rather than chunky chips kinda girl. :)

brinty wrote: »
    Wheres Bison bar??

Bison Bar is on the quays, down beside the Clarence hotel. Have yet to get to Pitt Brothers but I absolutely heart Bison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

IWDM, I'm very jealous of your culinary adventures lately!

Lol, it's been awesome, gonna have to rein it in a bit though!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

First of the year:

bbq.jpg

Lamb sausages; beef sliders; chicken thighs marinated in cachaça, lime, garlic and coriander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I was in Pitt Bros a couple of weeks ago for the first time and enjoyed it (although the pulled pork was a mix of hot & cold).

I've heard Bison Bar is better tasting although portions are smaller (as is the interior).

Looks like I'm just going to have to do both and make a comparison. Damn :cool:

P.S Alternatively I might call round Oscar Bravo's house because that looks sensational. Are the buns homemade OB, they look lovely either way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement