Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Taboola wrote: »
    Can you post your recipe dial hard?

Yup, this will easily make 8 small tacos.

2 large chicken fillets, cut into three or four large chunks
    1 large onion, diced
    1 red chilli, diced
    2 fat cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    10 whole cherry tomatoes
    1 heaped tsp chipotle paste*
    1 tbsp. cider vinegar
    About a mug of chicken stock

1. Heat a good glug of oil in a large, heavy saucepan (I use a cast-iron cocotte) and fry the chicken very lightly until just golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.

2. Add the onions and chilli to the oil and sautee for five or so minutes until the onions begin to soften. Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, then add everything else in, including the chicken. Give it a good stir, then cover, turn the heat down to its lowest setting and leave it to barely simmer away for an hour.

3. After an hour, give it another stir, give it a taste and add more chipotle if you think it needs it. Check the liquid at this stage too. Then cover and give it another hour.

4. At this stage, the chicken should be completely falling apart. Shred any big pieces still left with two forks, give the whole lot a good stir, then season with salt & pepper to taste. If there's still a lot of liquid in the mix, turn the heat up slightly and allow it to simmer, uncovered, until you have a nice, pulled-pork kind of consistency (maybe a teeny bit looser).

Serve on warmed, small soft tacos with sour cream, salad, cheese and whatever else you fancy.

This is even better the next day or two, btw, so feel free to scale up and keep in the fridge, or freeze a batch.

*I get my chipotle paste in Tesco, it's part of their "Ingredients" range. You can also get chipotle in adobo in Fallon & Byrne and other good delis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Half a non smoked ham (that is to say a full ham sliced in two), with roasted potatoes (I'll get bored of them at some point!) with broccoli.

This time I was using different spuds though the packaging merely described them as "white potatoes" - steamed for 20 then parboiled for 5 then scrapped with a fork turned in a bath of olive oil and roasted with the ham under foil for 40 mins and then topped off with a quick full blast of the grill.

fWmGvEg.jpg

tasted great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Fish finger buttie off of Super Miss Sue. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Haddock with a pesto crumb, roast baby potatoes and roast butternut squash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Tonight we had beef chilli with brown rice. After dinner I baked a cake for a colleague who is retiring tomorrow. I made a stab at putting his face on top in cocoa powder - messy but fun!

daAt4Cp.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Stir fried yellow, red and green peppers then threw them into 3 egg omelette, 1 toast, real butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made burrito bowls. So stuffed we had to wait a half hour before breaking out the chocolate cake.
    slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I hadn't a clue what to make last night but had a bit of veg, loads of tomatoes and some chorizo to use up. So faffed up a sort of really thick ragu, before looking in the freezer for stock. What was labelled as duck/stock seemed a good option and it was!
    Loads of duck meat in it as it had been made from a whole barbary duck I'd done in the slow cooker. (Parents don't eat duck, they must be crackers (quackers :P) )

So duck ragu it was, with lots of chilli. Plus a portion left for today, yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Chicken noodle* soup with thigh meat & a scotch bonnet in. Take that general feeling of being under the weather, take that.

*Every time I open a press an item from our carbohydrate stash nearly brains me. So this was a noodle that looked an awful lot like fusilli. Not allowed buy any more pasta until things are a little less 'Hoarder - Dried Goods Special Edition' looking in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chicken ramen soup and duck spring rolls from Camile. Omg I'm so happy with my life right now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I made pasta with a spicy pepper sauce topped with feta on Tuesday, and leftover chili on a baked potato yesterday:

70kifd.jpg

dqlyz7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Smoked salmon fin soup with barley, parsley, carrot, brussels sprouts, celery and coriander greens, what else, bay tree leaves, mustard seeds and lemon juice

16kzv50.jpg

fxghet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight is garlic potato cakes, baked mushrooms, fried eggs and grilled rashers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Chicken with garlic, leeks and mushrooms in a stock, white wine and cream sauce, with tagliatelle and lots of black pepper. Super quick and tasty.

I've got a nice dinner going in the oven now - sliced blanched potatoes, layered in a baking tray, topped with fresh ling fillets with salt and pepper:

y3pfRex.jpg?2

I topped the fish with butter mixed with lime zest, lime juice, chilli and garlic:

lqHolPt.jpg?1

And then with a layer of chopped pak choi. Wrapped it all up in tin foil and stuck it in the oven. Looking forward to eating it!

1WmeeQS.jpg?1

Roasted butternut squash risotto with crispy sage.

2yx26pj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Big fat tacos with carnitas, radish, spring onion, cheese, avocado & a nice hot scotch bonnet salsa. Couldn't find any nice tortillas in my usual haunts so got landed with Old el Paso's corn tortillas at an eyewatering €3.69 for 8. And they are not nice (comparatively). Oh moany, moany moan.

RH8qgLD.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Big fat tacos with carnitas, radish, spring onion, cheese, avocado & a nice hot scotch bonnet salsa. Couldn't find any nice tortillas in my usual haunts so got landed with Old el Paso's corn tortillas at an eyewatering €3.69 for 8. And they are not nice (comparatively). Oh moany, moany moan.

So strange, I just picked up a packet of them for my lunch tomorrow because I couldn't make it into town to get "real" ones. I might just wrap them in lettuce now instead :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Hotpot

24b5kj5.jpg

And I'm ashamed to say, we finished that entire pot off between the two fo us :o

Leftovers dinner.

Crispy arancini (started them on the pan and finished them in the oven - couldn't bring myself to go through the faff of deep frying) stuffed with mozzarella, a garlicky tomato sauce for dipping, roast butternut squash and spring greens dressed with lemon and olive oil.

2nvv6yt.jpg

• Advertisement

Tonight we had Vietnamese summer rolls from Mrs Fox's cooking club entry. Lots of prep and then some fun assembly work.

Not pictured is the pork and prawn mixture that we made.

By6mcRm.jpg?1

Final product about to be devoured. I could only manage to eat three and then I was stuffed.

A3WPKNL.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Shenshen wrote: »
    Hotpot

And I'm ashamed to say, we finished that entire pot off between the two fo us :o

one of the favourites in our house, not as nice looking as yours.

Today is our first wedding anniversary so we went to Darwins on Aungier St for dinner. Man alive, I love that restaurant. We had calamari to start, then steaks followed by blueberry cheesecake. I took a quick snap of the steaks before we tucked in... I had a medium rare fillet, he had a medium rib eye off the bone. So so so so good!

1BqgTrW.jpg?1

Today is our first wedding anniversary so we went to Darwins on Aungier St for dinner. Man alive, I love that restaurant. We had calamari to start, then steaks followed by blueberry cheesecake. I took a quick snap of the steaks before we tucked in... I had a medium rare fillet, he had a medium rib eye off the bone. So so so so good!

Beautiful! And happy anniversary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Venison steaks, rare, with red wine sauce, green beans, asparagus and wholegrain mustard mash. I had it half-snaffled before I even thought of taking a pic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Happy anniversary homemadecider :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Jesus that year flew in, i would have thought it was only six months ago. Happy anniversary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight I will do a fillet steak, medium-rare, with baked mushrooms on the side.

Might do a handful of chips, I'll see in a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/1BqgTrW.jpg?1
    Happy Anniversary, hope you both had a wonderful day. Merry Christmas!!!

We're using up a few bits and pieces tonight, trying to make room in the fridge for the Christmas leftovers. :)

Prawn cocktail to start, followed by roasted butternut squash (I think this was the hugest beast of a squash we've ever had - very few seeds, and three nights dinners were got out of it) and baked cauliflower cheese. :pac:

• Advertisement

2j5cgmq.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement