Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

The Christmas cocktails officially started in our house tonight. Gin, lime juice, fresh mint and cucumber topped up with tonic and ice. We were given these lovely glasses as a gift from one of the hotels we stayed in on our honeymoon, so it seemed fitting to use them.

TnZDqua.jpg?2

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Not dinner, but I was feeling like I had a lot of energy after escaping cooking yesterday. So I made Bazmo's stuffing balls(with minced garlic)Chinese hot dogs, and a complete cheats pizza of puff pastry on a tray with red onions, honey glazed ham, port salut cheese and topped off with rocket salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight was chicken wrapped in bacon, carrots and creamy mash.

Mash and carrots were gorgeous, chicken wasn't a bit nice, I thought when I saw it first was a chicken breast on the bone from the butchers, tuned out to be a thigh from one of those pre-packs from the supermarkets, it was rubbery as hell.

They are decent in a stew, but horrible roasted.

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A big bowl of comforting Kerala-style chicken stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    A big bowl of comforting Kerala-style chicken stew.

Sounds nice, could you share the recipe please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Aldi spatchcock lemon pepper chicken with broccoli (yum) and lidl gnocchi (I over cooked them, so were yuck)

Trying to decide what to do with the leftover chicken now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Sounds nice, could you share the recipe please.

It's lovely. I have some leftover that I'll use for making curry noodle soup.
    My mobile can't link at the moment but you can find it if you google for "Chicken Stew Camellia Panjabi 50 great curries of India"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night I broke my own cardinal rule and ordered steak in a restaurant. Asked for it blue and it came out rare-plus. Had to send it back.

No idea what to eat tonight. I ain't cooking but I am TERRIBLE at choosing a takeaway. I almost always get sensory-overload looking at all the menus and end up just having toast or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

A buttery wholemeal bagel and some scrambled eggs and smoked trout! Light food after a very heavy few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Marinated pork chops, mashed potatoes and carrots

• Advertisement

I'm prepping Kung Pao chicken for tonight's dinner.

GtG72mF.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dial Hard wrote:
    No idea what to eat tonight. I ain't cooking but I am TERRIBLE at choosing a takeaway. I almost always get sensory-overload looking at all the menus and end up just having toast or something.

Ended up going to a friend's house last night so they took the decision out of my hands by ordering Dominos.

So. Much. Dough. And ridiculously overpriced. But hey, better than toast-for-one for dinner, right?

PAO!

DO8cst1.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Turkey massamam, was only just devine! That's the last of the turkey, save for portions in the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Got The Happy Pear cook book for Christmas so made their red lentil dahl this evening. It was tasty but I think I'll add coconut milk or something next time... Recipe says to 'sauté in water' but i really think it needs some oil or something or maybe some extra salt? . Just wasn't quite fully rounded tasting. Hard to describe. Recipe says it serves fours but there is AT LEAST enough for 8 servings, if not more! Thankfully it freezes well apparently! :)

373039.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We had roast chicken rubbed in Tajin lime & chili seasoning (which is for dipping fruit in but there were no Mexican people round mine to be upset :) ) & butter, short grain brown rice, a light tomato salsa and some crumbled feta.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Fish fingers, beans, and sautéed potatoes. It hit the spot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Got The Happy Pear cook book for Christmas so made their red lentil dahl this evening. It was tasty but I think I'll add coconut milk or something next time... Recipe says to 'sauté in water' but i really think it needs some oil or something or maybe some extra salt? . Just wasn't quite fully rounded tasting. Hard to describe. Recipe says it serves fours but there is AT LEAST enough for 8 servings, if not more! Thankfully it freezes well apparently! :)

I got this book last Christmas and it's been sitting on my shelve since. I really must try some of the recipes from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Went to an Italian in Zap, Ukraine last night for our anniversary.
    Beef Tartare and Caesar Salad for start. Veal Steaks and Mutton for main and Profiteroles and a cheese board for dessert. With wine soft drinks and coffees a wonderful meal came to a total of €31. Expensive for here, but amazing value for us.

2e4gdqe.jpgG][/IMG]

Quartered 5 meatballs, and put them in with my ragu. Mixed it with penne and grated a good bit of mature red cheddar. Mixed it all up. Everyone asked for seconds. My smart move of getting tomorrow's dinner out of it too is hanging by a thread. Might try a nice garlic bread with it tomorrow, to bulk it up.

• Advertisement

Sushi and seaweed salad in our place tonight.

OH3bJmx.jpg?2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Makood wrote: »
    Went to an Italian in Zap, Ukraine last night for our anniversary.

Happy anniversary!

I made slow cooked Mongolian beef tonight using this recipe http://therecipecritic.com/2015/08/slow-cooker-mongolian-beef/.

I added some chilli flakes to counteract the sweetness and that worked well, but it was very salty due to the amount of soy sauce :(
    Don't think I'll make it again.

25yvbdt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Made a pot of pasta tonight. It was lovely although I will stick to getting mince in the butchers in future, the mince from the supermarkets seems to have a lot of fat/grease in it, despite me getting the lean one.

Still, it was tasty and there's a few portions to be frozen so I won't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

A huge bowl of chilli con carne. Plenty left over for lunch tomorrow too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

xkoxo2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mountain of mash, beans and two sausages. Delicious.
    The gentlemen of the house had oxtail stew. I've been informed I should never buy oxtail again. Too fatty and loads of small bones (?! I thought it was one nine in the middle)

Then we had a cheese plate, on sale in eurospar and half price. I'm easily pleased when it comes to cheese but it was great. The blue was mild and easy to eat, the smoked Gouda tasted smoked, rather than flavoured iykwim and the Brie was creamy and full of flavour. Only the cheddar let it down - plasticky and squeaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I looove oxtail but it is quite fatty and boney. I drain off the fat and get stuck in with my hands so it doesn't really bother me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Sushi and seaweed salad in our place tonight.

How did you make the seaweed salad?

PS. Did you get a new camera? I think your lens is dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We hit the meats & cheeses hard last night. We had (most from Glorious lidl) - chevre, tete de moines, a beautiful chunk of parmesan, ball of mozz, gruyere (this was from Sheridans and was lovely) and a chunk of langres. On the meat side we had bresaola, jamon iberico, smoked ham, gooood salami & some 'plain ould' regular ham. We also baked a camembert. That was overkill, barely touched it. We also had some venison sausage but between us and Beggy Eyes McDog we did finish those. Fresh bread, fancy crackers with pistachio & apricot, olive oil, pistachio oil & balsamic cream. Rioja & Prosecco. Big fat quiz of the year & the Muppets series. Oh, god, yes, Tiramisu too.

Lessons learned:

Don't bake a whole camembert for 2 people when you already have 5 other cheeses. You pack of savages.

Yes, you will eat nearly 2 baguettes.

Spring for the fancy parmesan every so often

Cheese nightmares are real.

ImgPx52.jpg

• Advertisement

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/k8ggc471wp28ghc/AAAq9Gib5GYcIlKMF4_PAL5Ya

Getting in here early, I'll be well and truely stuffed after this. A platter to share from Mishie Sushi, in Avocca in Rathcoole. Been looking forward to this for months. Happy New year everyone!

Also, upload worked from the phone. Yipee

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement