Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A very simple chicken casserole from the BBC Good Food website. I'm back at work so batch cooking twice a week, and this made loads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Fillet steak, lime & chilli sweet potato and a spinach salad dressed with cumin & cayenne yoghurt. 'Twas delish.

How did you do your sweet potato? It looks delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Beef & red ale stew with more red ale on the side. Was very good food-medicine for a long and irritating Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

How did you do your sweet potato? It looks delicious!

Just scrub your sweet potato and cut it into thick slices. Mix the zest and juice of a lime with about a tablespoon of oil, about half a teaspoon of chilli powder and a good pinch of garlic granules. Brush both sides of your sweet spud slices with it, then stick under a medium grill for about 10 minutes each side. Season & serve!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Nachos, with queso, chunky guac, salsa and sour cream. The Aldi 'ripe and ready' avocados purchased 6 days ago were like little green rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Got a new burger press gadget so burgers it was! Steak mince mixed with onion & chorizo and seasoned generously. Topped with kilmeaden strong red cheddar (melted), blob of ballymaloe and scrapping of coleslaw and all on a toasted slimbo. Smooth potato salad on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

chicken tikka masala, with pilau rice and vegetable tom yum soup, freshly made with plenty of leftovers, luckily it was nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Nachos, with queso, chunky guac, salsa and sour cream. The Aldi 'ripe and ready' avocados purchased 6 days ago were like little green rocks.
    Put avocados in the same bowl as bananas, that helps ripen them. Or put them in a paper bag.

Put avocados in the same bowl as bananas, that helps ripen them. Or put them in a paper bag.

The banana tip is an excellent one, and I use it when I know what day I will be eating them. But when things are haphazard I tend to just put them in the fridge, to save coming back to them a couple of days later and finding they've disintegrated into brown mush! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The banana tip is an excellent one, and I use it when I know what day I will be eating them. But when things are haphazard I tend to just put them in the fridge, to save coming back to them a couple of days later and finding they've disintegrated into brown mush! :pac:
    I saw another tip a few years ago to ripen much quicker, something about cutting the tip off, but I can't find it on google...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I saw another tip a few years ago to ripen much quicker, something about cutting the tip off, but I can't find it on google...
    You might be thinking of the tip for determining if the avocado is ripe ...

1) stem won't easily come off - not ripe
    2) stem comes off easily and it's green underneath - ripe
    3) ditto, but it's brown underneath - overripe

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Just scrub your sweet potato and cut it into thick slices. Mix the zest and juice of a lime with about a tablespoon of oil, about half a teaspoon of chilli powder and a good pinch of garlic granules. Brush both sides of your sweet spud slices with it, then stick under a medium grill for about 10 minutes each side. Season & serve!

I always oven roast them and they do be nice and soft. Do they stay crunchy when you do them this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sad cottage pie in a breakfast bowl - mince beef, peas, onion, potato with cheese.

EXFcyMl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi Striploin Steak, triple-cooked chips and onion rings.

9FF3FA1D-0E44-4C44-89D2-B4CECB0D0B5D_zpsdqom17t8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm all cottage pie, meatballs, stewed out.

Any other comfort foods for me that you can think of. Brain fog here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Risotto!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was turkey paprikash with wholegrain basmati.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Last night was turkey paprikash with wholegrain basmati.

Could you please share the recipe for turkey paprikash, thanks

Fish pie, pastry pies - chicken, ham and leek or beef and mushroom, roast dinners of all varieties, filled crêpes, chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

How about mac and cheese, it's my favourite comfort food! Or chicken noodle soup, smitten kitchen has a fantastic recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Could you please share the recipe for turkey paprikash, thanks

I'll have it up on the random recipe thread at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lidl fillet steak, rare as an honest politician, with fried potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, and melty blue cheese.

photo_zpswoutokol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The last three nights have been chicken and chickpea Korma with rice and cauliflower.

I have the slow cooker on now with a beef and ale stew which will be the base for a cottage pie tomorrow.

370804.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

kylith wrote: »
    Lidl fillet steak, rare as an honest politician, with fried potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, and melty blue cheese.

''rare as an honest politician'' :pac: :pac:

Looks gorgeous!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

370820.jpg

Coconut flour pizza crust with moz cheese and Canadian bacon! Gluten free and low carb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

On Thursday night I made a really lovely mushroom risotto. Towards the end I chopped and quickly fried some green beans and mixed them in, along with some gorgeous crispy pancetta. Served with a little bit of vintage cheddar grated on top. Best risotto ever.

Leftovers will be breaded and fried as wee rice cakes for lunch today. Can't frickin wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Crumpets wrote: »
    ''rare as an honest politician'' :pac: :pac:

Looks gorgeous!! :)

It was! And the meat was soooo tender :)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Moules Frites....mussels and chips. Really good value and they cook in jig time. Yum yum...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mars Bar wrote:
    I always oven roast them and they do be nice and soft. Do they stay crunchy when you do them this way?

Nah, they'll be soft. The only way to get sweet potatoes crispy is to deep-fry them, in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When I'm making sweet potato wedges in the oven I cook them through as normal then crank the heat up to max for the last 10 mins. They get crispy then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement