Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quiche cos I'm a confident man.

BSFCQ1Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

kylith wrote: »
    My mum was more of the 'eat it or starve' variety.

My mom was of the "you'll get it cold for breakfast" school of thought. Don't blame her with four of us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was a pushover - I regularly cooked two separate dinners for my fussy eaters.

Tonight we had spag bol with the baguettes from the cooking club http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82872675
    I'd forgotten how good they are.

1795yu.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

On me todd tonight. Beige dinner it is: chicken kiev, cauliflower cheese grill and a few chips. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Mixture of things tonight as they'd to be used up.

Garlic potato cakes, eggs, black pudding and rashers.

Nice for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

nicki11 wrote: »
    What kind of mustard because I'd like to try that

Not English mustard! I don't buy that because it's all hot with no taste.
    I usually get a jar of mustard from the Polish shop, they've got the nicest ones. The one I have right now is a sort of semi-wholegrain variety, with lovely aroma, a bit of heat and a bit of sweetness.
    I'll check the label when I'm back home and let you know what it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Had a few things that needed to be used up so made a leek-y, cheesy, tomato-y omelette. It was DIVINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Kept it simple last night, pasta, basil, pesto, diced prawns, chilli. Diced prawns with pasta is the business, love it since first having it in Alghero a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Christmas has arrived at Chez Gloom!

3 slabs of pork belly that are on special in Aldi were marinated in a dry rub overnight then low roasted in the oven for a few hours while the tree was bought and decorated.
    Served with apple sauce, kid-friendly BBQ sauce and coleslaw in front of the telly :eek: (A few glasses of the traditional Baileys will weaken any man!) :rolleyes:

5F0112A2-D6E5-4CC0-BC35-9E73D6BECA2A_zpsiuml7x1n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Pan fried sea bass, with sauteed cherry tomatoes, peas and steamed new potatoes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Turkey leg boned, stuffed, rolled and roast.
    Roast potatoes roast garlic and gravy.

There was some leftover veg from another meal too.

The leg cost me €4.30. I reckon it would have fed 7 or 8 people.

ERPRIlt.jpg

3jEttGm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Roast beef with all the trimmings.
    The beef was particularly gorgeous; picked it up in Centra for €8.66 (round roast).

2mh7sdk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Ooooooh that looks unreal fussyonion!

Tonight is a big, juicy, thick rib eye steak, cooked medium, with some baked garlic mushrooms on the side.

In a slow roasting mood this weekend. :)

Decided to try a chicken today. 1.9kg beast smothered in butter, thyme and lemon zest, then stuffed with the lemon. Sitting on a bed of onions, carrots and celery. Poured in 1litre of chicken stock and put the roasting lid on.
    5 hours @ 130c the smell throughout the house was amazing. Removed carefully with a couple of slotted spoons some of the meat was stringy but most of it was melt in the mouth. The stock and veg were blitzed in the liquidiser and some Bisto added to make a great gravy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

In a slow roasting mood this weekend. :)

Decided to try a chicken today. 1.9kg beast smothered in butter, thyme and lemon zest, then stuffed with the lemon. Sitting on a bed of onions, carrots and celery. Poured in 1litre of chicken stock and put the roasting lid on.
    5 hours @ 130c the smell throughout the house was amazing. Removed carefully with a couple of slotted spoons some of the meat was stringy but most of it was melt in the mouth. The stock and veg were blitzed in the liquidiser and some Bisto added to make a great gravy. :)

Can I come to dinner at yours?

Can I come to dinner at yours?

S'all gone I'm afraid! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In a slow roasting mood this weekend.

Pot roasting chicken is by FAR my favourite way of cooking it. I season it and brown it all over in my cast-iron casserole dish. Set it aside, then fry off pancetta, onions, celery, leeks and garlic in the fat rendered from the chicken skin. Deglaze the pan with a glass of white wine, add about a mug of stock (for a 1.5kg bird, bit more for one the size of yours).

Stuff the cavity of the bird with a halved lemon and a bunch of thyme, then sit it back into the casserole. Sit a bunch of halved waxy potatoes into the liquid, then lid on and into the oven at 150C for half an hour per half kilo of weight.

When it's done, take the bird out and let it rest on a warmed plate while you toast some sliced, garlic-rubbed ciabatta. Carve the chicken, lob the ciabatta toasts into the casserole dish to soak up the sauce and bring the whole lot to the table to let people help themselves. It's AMAZING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A turkey and ham sandwich, with butter and cranberry sauce on batch bread, with a strong mug of tae and a mince pie for dessert

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bangers and mash tonight with delicious sausages from a local butcher. Such comfort food, love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

leahyl wrote: »
    Bangers and mash tonight with delicious sausages from a local butcher. Such comfort food, love it :)

Thank you.

Bangers and mash it is tonight so!

Have a few bits to use up so its waffles, beans, eggs and rashers here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

leahyl wrote: »

Snap! Made some delicious onion gravy to go with it, clean plates all around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Snap! Made some delicious onion gravy to go with it, clean plates all around

We had the same! Bit of carrot and parsnip in the mash to up the veg intake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Work din din. Pork chop, green beans and mushrooms. Easy.

371769.JPG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Big pot of chili for us.
    Have you ever had a chili pepper change hotness on you? I usually test how hot they are by putting a small slice on my tongue, so I get a rough idea how much I'll need to put in.

This one pretended to be all nice and mild, and then once it was in the pot it made my eyes water just smelling it.
    I was almost too hot for me to eat, but a big dollop of sour cream helped it along very nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

made a pheasant casserole at the weekend. cooked it 3 hours on saturday. Let it cool. removed a good bit of the fat layer sunday, and reheated it for 2 hours yesterday and had it for dinner with friends. it was excellent!! Absolutely chuffed with the result, and everyone had seconds, thirds and more!! will do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

We did a slow cooker roast chicken the other day (2nd time, first was a great success), which was too fally-off-the-boney for my liking - ended up with clumps of cartilage etc mixed in. It was nowhere near as nice as a roast chicken.

The stock and fat that drips out of the bird, mixed with the veg and liquids the bird sits on, plus any added herbs/seasoning, all blitzed up, made a great sauce though.

What was far better than the roast dinner, though, was the chicken noodle soup I made with the leftover chicken last night. Simple, light, just the right heat, and nourishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

These are actually from the other night, but I forgot to post: chicken tinga tacos. They were really, really good.

12347849_10154368597552678_7684248156418897439_n.jpg?oh=eb35979e4cb3cfdf5bbdea13fe37ea63&oe=57203D4B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Can you post your recipe dial hard?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement