Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had cottage pie with white cabbage tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Turkey & sausage meatballs, served with a pepper, tomato and feta sauce, really tasty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had beef and pork sausagemeat meatballs with lots of fennel, with pasta and a garlicky tomato sauce. We used a flavoured pasta from Aldi and regretted it - it was green and labeled 'with wild garlic'. Smelled and tasted 'off'.

We made a batch of plain pasta to go with the leftovers for lunch tomorrow, nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Leftover chicken in a brown rice 'risotto' with peas n cheese. Was very tasty but you can pry my carnaroli/arborio out of my cold, dead hands as far as actual risotto goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A nice, hearty lamb stew with plenty left over for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Spinach leaves, burger with cheddar cheese, egg and bacon.

369120.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Had the folks over last night. Was going to make meatloaf but once I got everything in the bowl I realised I was missing breadcrumbs so couldn't complete the dish and we had fish and chips instead.

I'll finish prepping the meatloaf this evening, then I can freeze it in me-sized portions :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Been absent from here for ages. Free gaff till Tuesday, so put on a pot of boilermaker chilli. The house stinks. Anyone fancy a bowl, bring sour cream. Or it'll burn.

I made Chinese salt and chilli chicken from scratch as per the current recipe thread, and it was great. For next time I will increase the sugar and decrease the five spice in the spice mix. :)

Friends over tonight. Spicy Mexican corn and black bean salad with tortilla chips, followed by slow braised pork burritos with the works - salsa, guac, sour cream, jalapeños and cheese. Dessert was chocolate nut brownies and home-made ice cream. Prosecco to wash it all down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Roast leg of lamb with rosemary, garlic and juniper berries; roasted baby potatoes with caramelised/charred onions, cauliflower cheese (frozen, from Dunnes and it was really nice), and peas.

dbnwbn.jpg

Chicken & ham pie, courtesy of my awesome Mammy. Cabbage on the side. Also a big yoke of turnip that she has a hole in her memory for who in the family eats :) It's my little sister but I always get a dish of turnip presented to me with a flourish when I arrive followed by a 'Ah...no..it's [sister's name] likes the turnips'. She must be eating it for days after.

Last night was sausages, mash with loads of bacon and gravy. Night before we were way too tired and grumpy to prep our own food so 'the man' brought us saag paneer, keema naan and chickpea pilau. Loads leftover so that's my lunch tomorrow waiting for me in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

We had the in laws over for Sunday lunch, the cold weather gave me a hankering for old school favourites, so:

Starter - homemade brown bread, smoked salmon with lots of dill and lemon juice

Main: roast pork and crackling, apple sauce, stuffing, roast potatoes, mangetout and carrot&turnip mash

Dessert: apple and blackberry crumble, vanilla ice cream

Some lovely white wine to go with it, now struggling to keep my eyes open with a blazing fire in front of me. Bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Dolbert wrote: »
    A nice, hearty lamb stew with plenty left over for tomorrow.

any chance of a recipe

any chance of a recipe

It's just a really simple slow cooker stew, you'd need to increase the liquid if it's just going in the oven. I just threw in approx 800g diced lamb, 2 carrots, a parsnip and some potatoes with 500ml beef stock, mixed with 2 tsp tomato puree and some paprika to taste. Garlic would be good too but husband is allergic. I also put in a halved onion, but I remove when cooked as I find it sours the stew if it's left in. I put it on low before I left and when I came back 8 hours later it was perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

It's just a really simple slow cooker stew, you'd need to increase the liquid if it's just going in the oven. I just threw in approx 800g diced lamb, 2 carrots, a parsnip and some potatoes with 500ml beef stock, mixed with 2 tsp tomato puree and some paprika to taste. Garlic would be good too but husband is allergic. I also put in a halved onion, but I remove when cooked as I find it sours the stew if it's left in. I put it on low before I left and when I came back 8 hours later it was perfect.
    Do you pre-fry the ingredients?

katydid wrote: »
    Do you pre-fry the ingredients?

You're supposed to, to get the meat browned, but I never have time tbh and it turns out fine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

You're supposed to, to get the meat browned, but I never have time tbh and it turns out fine

That's interesting. I might try it next time.

Pizza hut delivery here this evening. Disgusting. Like eating rubber. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

sausage & mash with onion gravy. dry fried the sausage & onion then made gravy with one of those stock jellies, flour & water. sunday lazy and divine

keyboard K.O.'d sorry about the caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Curry Night!

22624091584_42f655f22f_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fried eggs and steamed baby potatoes

Chicken noodle soup. Of a kind. Chicken stock, beer & sriracha broth, carrots, chunks of roast chicken thigh, pasta, baby spinach, croutons & crispy chicken skin. Not be much time for cooking for the rest of the week so went all out on cooking a fairly basic meal for tonight :) Tomorrow will potentially be chocolate digestives on toast.

l3vX4YQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

CHicken nachos

slack_for_ios_upload.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Had a bit of lamb in the slow cooker but it wasn't done in time so called an audible with some chicken mini fillets coated in cajun spices, some mash and some beans in a spicy tomato sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Chicken Stirfry Thingie...

22652723574_084e9c5694_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

keane2097 wrote: »
    Had a bit of lamb in the slow cooker but it wasn't done in time so called an audible with some chicken mini fillets coated in cajun spices, some mash and some beans in a spicy tomato sauce.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Boiled ham fillet with sweet potato wedges and roasted Brussels sprouts. Much nicer than expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Lazy evening here. Waygu beef burger, sweet potatoe fries and braised gem lettuce. I would probably do some kind of flavoured butter next time as it was a slightly dry dinner.

• Advertisement

We had spinach and mushroom pie for dinner, with roasted asparagus in parma ham and roasted balsamic tomatoes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement