Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not been posting in a while but I do have a few pics saved up!

We got delivery of a third of a free range piggy a couple of weeks ago so it's all porky pics (had some other dinners too but had guests so no pics)

First up.

An Asian style salad with Chinese leaves, beansprouts, mustard leaves, tomato, cucumber, baby broad beans, pickled chillies, coriander, sliced pork and Asian dressing.

vT0ssF1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I'm currently waiting on my chicken korma, pilau rice and garlic naan from the Indian restaurant. I've had a rotten day so treating myself. Their food is amazing!

More pork:

Not so pretty but very, very tasty:
    A friend gave us a jar of pistachio purée:D
    Tried an experimental dish with minced pork, garlic, onion, white wine, chicken stock, pistachio purée, a little cream (an ingredient I very, very rarely use in cooking) and fresh sage. Served with Lidl tortellini and grilled courgette.

kKN4Hiu.jpg

And lastly, last night's piggy:

Boneless pork chop pan fried pink:eek:
    Green lentils with veg.
    Wilted spinack.
    Boiled, squashed then fried baby roosters.

RS35d4E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lamb chops with mint, rosemary and garlic rubbed in for 3 hours in the fridge. Had this with creamy mash - plenty butter & cream. Put into a pyrex dish, topped with grated cheese and grilled for 5 minutes. Also, wilted spinach.

Today we had roast chicken, more creamy mash and grated carrot.

I've tomorrow's dinner cooked also - curry with left-over chicken, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, carrot and celery. Used an Aldi jar ( Specially Selected - Rojan Josh).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

More pork:

Not so pretty but very, very tasty:
    A friend gave us a jar of pistachio purée:D
    Tried an experimental dish with minced pork, garlic, onion, white wine, chicken stock, pistachio purée, a little cream (an ingredient I very, very rarely use in cooking) and fresh sage. Served with Lidl tortellini and grilled courgette.

Pistachio purée? Wherever did you hear about/find the crown prince of nuts in a purée?

Pistachio purée? Wherever did you hear about/find the crown prince of nuts in a purée?

My wife talked about a dish she had in Italy and a friend in France came across the jar in France and sent it over with another friend.

Now I have to recreate a dish that I haven't had.
    Tricky.
    The pork was a successful experiment.
    Prawns next..

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Cactus Jacks, tonight was delicous, cheesy riceballs, sizzling fajitas and chilli orange brownies really good though I didn't taste any chilli :) Was our first time there but I think I'd go again though I might order less was stuffed after and fell asleep on the sofa for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made burrito bowl. Who said advertising doesn't work, this was in direct response to getting a burrito bar takeaway menu in the door!
    burrito_bowl._nomnom.__720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had Green Saffron Korma curry, it was very nice I added coconut milk as instructed as well as chicken, spinach and onion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night we went to the new burger place in Terenure and it was very good indeed. Service a little unsure at times but it's only open about a fortnight so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Will definitely be back, anyway.

12208824_10154320851567678_5338077015270777772_n.jpg?oh=f116e64e96cef704b1643cf46c0e81b7&oe=56EF2BFE

Friday and Saturday night were pizza nights.

Saturday night - good ole margherita.

12234944_10154320852387678_5122500038705128653_n.jpg?oh=2dd8076d4630c5500221185279b2e156&oe=56BEBE94

Friday night - spinach, onion, serrano ham and asiago cheese. This was an attempt to recreate a pizza from the Ballymore Inn, and it was pretty damn awesome, I have to say.

12208471_10154315032667678_2395301506517958489_n.jpg?oh=e3d4b762a96b9a46466ab20ace5f6213&oe=56E9067E

10612904_10154315032772678_1633321066295871162_n.jpg?oh=a0275f278f70ca817d58426dfe721f65&oe=56ED98D9

Still not 100% happy with my dough game, though. I think I'm just going to have to accept that you can't really get it right in a domestic oven, even with a pizza stone. Definitely the closest I've ever gotten to proper pizzeria pizza is on the barbeque. Unfortunately, we didn't exactly have the weather for that this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What's the name of the new burger place in Terenure?

keane2097 wrote: »
    What's the name of the new burger place in Terenure?

Real Gourmet Burgers. It's beside Mario's, where Anar used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Fried eggs and home made chips tonight. Simple and absolutely Delicous Monday comfort food. Anyone wants the recipe just let me know lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

My first ever attempt at chicken satay. I've never had it before so I've nothing to judge it against, but it's lovely! Very warming and moreish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Had a rib-eye steak that was reduced to €3 in Lidl so didn't have particularly high hopes! It turned out to be really tender and flavourful. I had it medium-rare with pepper sauce and plenty of steamed buttered veg on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Bangers and mash, served swimming in an onion and port gravy, clean plates all round

Fried eggs and home made chips tonight. Simple and absolutely Delicious

That was Tuesday dinner in my house and I always loved it. You can't beat homemade chips. I don't have a deep fat frier and oven chips just *aren't* the same no matter how lovingly made,
    Dolbert wrote:
    Had a rib-eye steak that was reduced to €3 in Lidl so didn't have particularly high hopes! It turned out to be really tender and flavourful.

Lidl have a 30% off section for fresh meat that's getting near its sell-by date, I ALWAYS check it. Super good value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Real Gourmet Burgers. It's beside Mario's, where Anar used to be.

It looks like its a sister/franchise of the one thats in Dun Laoghaoire

I passed by it last night and it was busy enough. I was surprised another restaurant went in there because its beside Marios which always seems to be busy and the previous two restaurants didn't survive that long there. Must try it out.

groovyg wrote:
    I passed by it last night and it was busy enough. I was surprised another restaurant went in there because its beside Marios which always seems to be busy and the previous two restaurants didn't survive that long there. Must try it out.

Anar was ridiculously overpriced for what it was. And Little Caesar's just couldn't compete with Mario's (which has gone hugely downhill in recent years, imo). RGB isn't competing in the same space as Mario's or either of its predecessors, imo, so it definitely has the potential to do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Chorizo and sweet potato chilli

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sweet potato here too. In wedges roasted in coconut oil. We had them with lovely mozerella and pesto pizza (one each!) and peas, for health.
    Washed down by a glass of Wallys Hut.

Terrible photos, but absolutely delicious. Following on from the burger thread, I defrosted two Oscar Bravo burgers (pork, prawn, garlic, chilli, ginger), fried them, added cheese, avocado and peanut butter. The peanut butter was an amazing addition.

Side was parboiled and then oven baked chips.

xLvUD1U.jpg

gvJ5vk9.jpg

Last night was meant to be night 2 of the Spanish-style roast chicken I'd done on Monday but it turned out we'd completely savaged the chicken and there wasn't enough to get two more dinners off it, so I made a scrapple/hash kind of thing by cracking an egg over the remaining roasted spud, sweet potato and chorizo mix, grating over lowads o'cheese, lacing it with Frank's and sticking it under the grill. Topped with Greek yoghurt and with a spinach salad & coriander gremolata on the side, it was most excellent altogether.

12234979_10154325395877678_6784521715453461798_n.jpg?oh=03590a35829bcd57217e2222ba300258&oe=56B81886

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Dónal wrote: »
    Terrible photos, but absolutely delicious. Following on from the burger thread, I defrosted two Oscar Bravo burgers (pork, prawn, garlic, chilli, ginger), fried them, added cheese, avocado and peanut butter. The peanut butter was an amazing addition.

Side was parboiled and then oven baked chips.

lol @ poor drooling pup in the background :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Butternut squash stuffed with buckwheat and brown lentils, with crispy onions and some feta on top.

111ns48.jpg

The onions on the pic look blacker than they were, they were just nicely brown and sweet :D

Stuffed courgettes last night. I always make these after we've had a roast chicken.

12241594_10154326837657678_4828006560182389777_n.jpg?oh=b0aa68b1d79563e6a95edcf6cf7ea476&oe=56AFE743

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

'Wings Inferno' in the porterhouse. Not really/remotely inferno like. Covered in jalapenos but not that easy or elegant to eat a rake of pickled jalapenos with your sauce covered mits.

It did lead me down the road of thinking that I could make some hot sauce myself and see what I can do about properly burning the mouth off myself with wings this weekend though. So I'm looking forward to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

made some dry fried cauliflower rice, roasted some sweet potato in chopped chillies and olive oil,and some chicken madras to finish, never had curry with that rice and it works well ..

aob6n8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Chicken and chorizo and stir fry with honey and soy sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement