Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Try the madras, it's the best one imo.

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made a sublime brocolli soup with Cashel Blue yesterday which furnished forth today too. I forgot to take pictures unfortunately.

Had a roast chicken dinner with sautéed leeks, Brussels sprouts (hello again my little friends, great to see you.....waves o/) and roasted new potatoes in white wine gravy.

Tonight I did Thai pork mince with brown rice. It doesn't look much going by the photo but it was really very good indeed and something I'll be making more regularly as it took no time at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

And the roast

Aldi's confit duck legs with cherry sauce, with braised red cabbage, and a mix of roasted parsnips, carrots and a few spuds.

raw0f5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

katydid wrote: »
    Will do!

The Madras is really nice and the Jalfrezi is out of this world.
    Like others said, the Dopiaza isn't the best imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Pot luck dinner with the girls before our night out on Sat night, I made Chicken Biryani based on Curry Addict's recipe in the Cooking club but with quinoa instead of rice. It was a huge hit! Threw in raisins, cashews, pistachios, and peas too. Absolutely yum. Also made baby plum tomatoes and cucumber salad.

Last night was Old el Paso Steak Carne Asada soft taco. Was just ok.

Tonight chicken, mushroom and broccoli stir fry with basmati. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Good old lasagne on this miserable day

10f7rzm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sausages on toast, loads of ketchup. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made my regular 20 veg soup tonight. Well not quite 20, but it's made with a lot of veg. Onions, carrots, celery, yellow pepper, tomatoes, peas, and some chickpeas, mixed beans, chorizo, and macaroni pasta thrown in for good measure. All finished with some grated parmesan. It's essentially a minestrone soup on steroids. So tasty and filling......and always loads left for lunch. :)

368074.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Would you have a recipe for that Bazmo? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Mmmm. that is a tasty looking soup!

Chickpea and spinach curry. It came out very well, I was delighted. Usually when I cook chickpeas it's for falafel and I use the tinned chickpeas for curries but from now on I'll be sticking with dried. The texture is much better. I used a Swartz (is that the brand?) curry spice mix and added extra garlic, cumin and coriander. Tin of tomatoes and finished off with a few blobs of Greek yoghurt, side of basmati rice. A bit of garlic naan would have been delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

leahyl wrote: »
    Would you have a recipe for that Bazmo? :)

I finely chop about half a thing of Chorizo. Fry it off in a tiny amount of oil in a large pot until crispy.

Take it out of the pot and set aside.

Add finely chopped celery, onion, carrot (Mirepoix I think it's called) [1 of each] to the pot.

I had a spare yellow pepper to use up so I chopped that up too.

Fry them all off in some olive oil with some dried mixed Italian herbs, oregano works fine too, until they are soft.

I normally add a tin of chopped tomatoes at this stage but I had some tomatoes that needed to be used up so I chopped them up finely and bunged them in.

Then I added about 2 litres of boiled water and 2 chicken/vegetable stock pots.

Bring it all to a boil and add a couple of handfuls of pasta. Small Conchiglie or small Macaroni work best. Bring to the boil again and simmer for about 10 mins.

Once the pasta is cooked I add a tin of drained and rinsed Chickpeas and Mixed Beans and a handful or two of frozen peas along with the chorizo.

Bring it up to the boil again, then turn it down to a gentle simmer and add a lid. It's ready in about ten mins after that.

Season with Salt & Pepper and serve with grated parmesan.

This is always a real pic n mix recipe so I just tend to use whatever is available, i.e. whatever needs to be used up. It's amazing to have for lunch the next day and it's cheap as chips to make. I'd imagine it's also a great healthy option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made ragu risotto with some letover pasta sauce. It was delicious, though tragically under-seasoned (i was able to fix it).

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Last night I was at the ballet so ate in Herbstreet beforehand. It's nice, but way overpriced for what it is. 16 quid for a turkey burger with a grand total of four sweet potato wedges on the side. 9 quid for a glass of white wine. I know it's in the middle of the city centre, but come on.

Anyway, the night before that I continued my adventures in gnocchi ripieni. Pesto-stuffed this time, with a white wine cream sauce. They were delicious, but veeeeeeerrrrrrrry rich. I think I managed four and a half before giving up (they are about twice the size of regular gnocchi, though).

12227232_10154307463787678_8106374182180924307_n.jpg?oh=61e7c50c2ed31d10ca122d1e70b60df2&oe=56F9AF12

I have never needed a recipe more! They look amazing dial hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Whispered wrote: »
    I have never needed a recipe more! They look amazing dial hard.

No recipe as such! The gnocchi are in Lidl at the moment as part of their Christmas Deluxe range, you'll find them in the fridge.

The sauce is really just a white wine & sour cream reduction. This quantity will generously sauce a full packet of the gnocchi, which will easily serve 3 people, even 4 for lunch.

Just melt a knob of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil in a sauce pan. Grind in a really, really generous sprinkle of black pepper and a pinch of garlic granules if you have them. When the pepper is just starting to sizzle slightly, add about 250ml of white wine and half a good quality chicken stock cube, then bring to a rolling boil and let it reduce to about a third of its original volume. Stir in two heaped tablespoons of sour cream and continue to reduce until you have a nice, saucy consistency - it should coat the back of a spoon.

Cook and drain your gnocchi, toss gently in the sauce, allow to sit for a minute or two so the starch binds the sauce to them, toss gently again and then serve in warmed bowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I made Chicken Tikka Masala before and I was disappointed with it. Today, I tried Chef John's recipe from the Food Wishes Youtube channel.

Sweet mother it was divine! I didn't take a picture but I have more tomorrow so I'll take a pic then. I think it'll be even nicer tomorrow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We're getting new kitchen cupboard doors fitted, so my kitchen will be like the Somme for the next few days.
    So I thought I enjoy it one last time before the chaos starts and made a big pasta bake, full of all the veg that needed using up, with a creamy, cheesy smoked paprika sauce.

I'm trying to watch my weight a little, but I had to go and have seconds. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just re the gnocchi, I have never tasted any that weren't of a rubbery consistency. Shop bought admittedly. The Aldi ones look OK, but I honestly don't think they are to my taste/texture.

Am I alone here in this?

It's probably an "each to their own" thing, but those in the pic by Dial Hard look very good just the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shenshen wrote: »
    We're getting new kitchen cupboard doors fitted, so my kitchen will be like the Somme for the next few days.
    So I thought I enjoy it one last time before the chaos starts and made a big pasta bake, full of all the veg that needed using up, with a creamy, cheesy smoked paprika sauce.

Sounds great that food.

We call them "Presses" here BTW lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Mixed mushrooms in a gorgonzola, cream and white wine sauce, fried butterbeans and spinach with garlic and lemon juice, and roast potatoes.

368398.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

We call them "Presses" here BTW lol :D

Ah to be fair we do call them cupboards as well as presses. Or is that just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Shenshen wrote: »

How did you make this creamy deliciousness?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just re the gnocchi, I have never tasted any that weren't of a rubbery consistency. Shop bought admittedly. The Aldi ones look OK, but I honestly don't think they are to my taste/texture.

Am I alone here in this?

It's probably an "each to their own" thing, but those in the pic by Dial Hard look very good just the same.

I couldn't eat boiled gnocchi at all - the texture is much nicer if it's fried in a little olive oil until it's slightly crisp.

Ah to be fair we do call them cupboards as well as presses. Or is that just me?

It's just you....

It's just you....

And me! :D

I couldn't eat boiled gnocchi at all - the texture is much nicer if it's fried in a little olive oil until it's slightly crisp.

I presume you mean you boil them first and then fry them? That's what I do.

Whispered wrote: »
    And me! :D

Ye must be fierce posh altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I presume you mean you boil them first and then fry them? That's what I do.

No. I'm talking about shop bought ones and I fry them straight from the packet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement