Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

katydid wrote: »
    Ye must be fierce posh altogether.

hahaha nope! My child eats off the floor with the dogs :pac:

When I'm speaking I say press, but if I am writing I write cupboard. You can't get the right inflection with text, de-press, becomes the press, which just isn't right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

No. I'm talking about shop bought ones and I fry them straight from the packet.

Ah ok. I thought you'd need to boil them first. I might try them that way and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whispered wrote: »
    hahaha nope! My child eats off the floor with the dogs :pac:

When I'm speaking I say press, but if I am writing I write cupboard. You can't get the right inflection with text, de-press, becomes the press, which just isn't right.

Just write Kitchen Press, we will all know then lol :D

And you won't be de pressed either.

Just write Kitchen Press, we will all know then lol :D

Awful waste of text :pac:

We had bangers and mash with peas and mushroom and onion gravy tonight. 'Twas lovely!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had fillet steak, med rare, mushroom sauce, baked potato, Brussels sprouts and a nice cold beer.

• Advertisement

I made the fillings for Cottage Pie in bulk this evening. The aroma had me salivating.

Now in times past it was far to liquid. So today I just made it a bit more solid, with far less additions in the liquid department.

Turned out great. For 7 quid I got six generous portions for the freezer. Result! will do the spud topping on the day.

I will make my confession now. Three hail marys, I saw ready chopped onions in Super Valu and snapped them up! Ye gods, and no smelly hands. The remainder is in the freezer for soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

^ The only problem I have chopping onions is that I eat them as I go. I swear I must have been born in an onion patch or else my mother craved them while carrying me.
    The stronger, the better!

I had a gigantic salad tonight, quarter of an iceberg lettuce, half a bag of baby leaves, a large handful of cherry tomatoes, pickled red cabbage, red onion, olives, sweetcorn, broccoli, a few cooked sprouts, red pepper, a bit of leftover grated cheese & topped with two crunched up oatcakes. Dressed with honey, oil from the olives, thai chilli sauce and some garlic powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sounds great that food.

We call them "Presses" here BTW lol :D

I've never called a cupboard a press in my life.
    As I've never called the airing cupboard a hot press.
    Who's "we"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Who's "we"?
    I suppose they mean Irish people. A majority of Irish people do say "press".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Sounds great that food.

We call them "Presses" here BTW lol :D

I'm German, married to an Englishman, living in Ireland. What chance have I got? :D:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

How did you make this creamy deliciousness?

It's a bit madey-uppy. I made a roux with a bit of flour and oil, then added the stock the veg had boiled in to make a thick sauce. I added a bit of cream, a little grated cheese, about 1 tbsp of tomato puree, and about 2 tsp of smoked paprika. It turned out nicely creamy, smokey and tomato-y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Who's "we"?

I tend to call them cupboards, but most people I know call them presses.

I'd definitely call it a hot press though. Not sure I've ever heard it called an airing cupboard!

I suppose they mean Irish people. A majority of Irish people do say "press".

You're right.

A a cupboard is a press, and an airing cupboard is a hot press in Ireland!

Nice to keep some things traditional, although I have absolutely NO idea where the word "press" came from in this context.

No wonder half the world does a double take when Irish people use Press for Cupboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

According to Google, it comes from the Irish word 'prios' which apparently is a general term for an enclosed storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Goulash is simmering away for dinner later. The thought of it alone is comforting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Reheated chilli, need the warmth today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Slightly off topic but here's what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night! ;)

Friends coming over for a Curry Feast so cooking everything the day before for optimum flavour. (Plus I'm working tomorrow afternoon so won't have time).

Chicken and Courgette Korma, Cauliflower Madras - both Aldi sauces.
    Green Saffron Red Lentil Dahl. Going to see what you're all raving about. Can't believe I paid €3 for just a spice mix and then have to add a load of ingredients.

E9D00C5D-B39C-49E2-8887-40DE33ACAB15_zpse0ngx943.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I kept it simple tonight. Chicken fillets. Jalepenos. Onions. All fried up and smothered with cheese. With some Tuc crackers and garlic mayo on the side.

Lazy, un-fancy, but delicious!

We had bratwurst in brioche with fried onions, ketchup and mustard. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We had bratwurst in brioche with fried onions, ketchup and mustard. Good.

Where dod you get the bratwurst. Surprisingly difficult to find!

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »

Keep an eye out in Lidl. They have it from time to time.

Keep an eye out in Lidl. They have it from time to time.

Aah. When Lidl first came they had a good selection of German stuff but, over time, that has gone. They adapt to the market and if its not selling well, its gone.

Sad the stuff didnt appear to go as I think people would have liked most of it had they given it a chance.

Aah. When Lidl first came they had a good selection of German stuff but, over time, that has gone. They adapt to the market and if its not selling well, its gone.

Sad the stuff didnt appear to go as I think people would have liked most of it had they given it a chance.

No, it's definitely not as good as it used to be, but Bratwurst is one of the things they does seem to appear from time to time. I miss the Nuremberg sausages they used to do - small, thing, very herby. They had some in during the Oktoberfest event, but they weren't as nice as the old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Pork noodle salad. Nomnomnom.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

I got them in Aldi, but I live in the UK where you can get Bratwurst in almost any supermarket. Sorry. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Creamy chicken, bacon and pea pasta. I have a cold (again!) so comfort food is in order.

I miss the Nuremberg sausages they used to do - small, thing, very herby. They had some in during the Oktoberfest event, but they weren't as nice as the old ones

Haha, yeah, those were really good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

striploin steak, sweet potato fries, and sauteed mushrooms and onions. 'Twas lovely. Completely underestimated the amount of chips you could get from 2 of those aldi sweet potatoes though. :pac:

Venison pie from Aldi - it was surprisingly delicious. And some oven chips for a mega easy dinner. :pac:

• Advertisement

Coconut chicken "curry", I have curry in "" because it wasn't hot-spicy at all. Delicious with garlic, cumin and ginger, but not spicy. So I'm not sure if it could be called a curry?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement