Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Roasted pepper pesto sounds fab!

I made chips and curry sauce, tried it with cheese. It was as promised.

The baby and husband also have peanut chicken nuggets. (Chicken coated in a mix of ground raw peanuts, lime juice, crushed garlic and chilli flakes, deep fried).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had sea bass, seasoned and dusted with flour, fried in butter and drizzled with lemon, with roasted cubes of sweet and white potato, roasted balsamic tomatoes and buttered corn on the cob. It was so quick and delicious, but the corn tasted musty, so I left it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Omelette with ham, tomatoes, onions, and - most importantly - Clonakilty black pudding. With potato waffles. The pudding really made it delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ok, it's dinnertime; reading all these posts has tipped me over the edge from "kinda peckish" to "would eat a horse and chase the jockey".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We are sick as pigs. As moany, miserable, out-giving, annoying to be around pigs. So tonight we have chicken soup with chunks of chicken thigh, macaroni, greens, carrots, chives and bacon.

jI71YEL.jpg
    BZ4HXAM.jpg

I burnt the actual arse out of the croutons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We are sick as pigs. As moany, miserable, out-giving, annoying to be around pigs. So tonight we have chicken soup with chunks of chicken thigh, macaroni, greens, carrots, chives and bacon.

I burnt the actual arse out of the croutons.

Surely you mean they were caramelised :D
    Feel better soon!

Surely you mean they were caramelised :D
    Feel better soon!

Indeed :D A good, dark, crispy, charcoal infused caramelisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Steamed spuds, Kelly's of Newport pork and apple sausages, Baked beans. Wow !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tonight's dinner (in advance if that's allowed! It is in the oven) Chicken Tikka Masala or Chicken Sweet and Sour, both will be with Basmati rice. Variety is the spice of life !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We had the brie & speck stuffed gnocchi from Lidl's recent Italian event. Wasn't quite sure what to expect and I'm sure they'd be considered an abomination by actual Italian people but they were really, really good. Sorry I didn't buy more of them at the time now.

Hmmed and hawed about what sauce to use for a while and eventually settled on a garlicky, white winey tomato sauce with a touch of cream. They look a bit nekkid in the photo without any parmesan on top but I didn't want any other cheese competing with the brie.

12191620_10154298875707678_3333656665925004077_n.jpg?oh=d6757c7b72eb0ac016184566570184a7&oe=56B747C0

• Advertisement

I got a couple of packs of those too DH! They're just the business. Was flicking through the christmas food Lidl catalogue (I am just that sad) and they have some lovely filled pastas and gnocchi coming in on Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Ragu with gnochi and garlic bread for me and my OH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Reheated meatballs from last week, threw some feta into the sauce and it was moreish, served with macaroni

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Breaded chicken breasts, fried potatoes and lardons, with peas and sweetcorn. Initiating food coma. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Take two goujon recipes:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/crunchy-garlic-chicken/#b6OFobbeABww3q5H.97
    and
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/ritzy-chicken-nuggets-recipe.html

Use the crackers and buttermilk idea from Nigella and add Jamie's breadcrumb seasoning and you have a less messy, easy to make, delicious goujon recipe. :)

No pic because we had people round and I didn't want them to think me weird! :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

First time recipe for me. Chicken Arribiata. God it was lovely. So much red wine, the house stinks. Will add cream next time, to make it devilish.

Slowcooker chili made from stewing beef marinated overnight in red ale, chili and five spice. Lots of chipotles and a little tomato puree and (too much) masa added at the end of thicken it. Eaten with a side of Jean Claude vD & Kickboxer. Ah, the 80s.

sFnqKWx.jpg
    qhB5SoN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Last night we had pan fried duck, pak choi and celeriac mash. The celeriac was a new one for me and I love it. The second half of it will be made into creamy soup for today's lunch.

My husband baked a rich banana cake with lots of vanilla and brown sugar, we ate it hot from the oven with ice cream on top. Pure heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Can't tell you the last time I cooked a roast.
    Really enjoyed it.
    Chicken, mash, roasties, carrots, turnips, broccoli, Yorkshire pud and gravy.

6br9.jpg

Medium duck breast, mash, sweetcorn and butternut squash, all served with a very tasty red wine and port jus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night's dinner was courtesy of Aldi. Fillet steaks, chunky chips, breaded garlic mushrooms and onion rings. So much nicer than the usual takeaway we'd get on a Saturday.

Tonight we had roast loin of pork with apple sauce, stuffing and roasties. The pork was on special offer in Dunnes today and was the nicest roast pork I've had in a long time. I'd started eating before I remembered to take a photo...

1zdcfbn.jpg

We had family over and a proper feast this evening. Roast reindeer, moose meatballs, mushrooms with bacon and shallots, sprouts with bacon, roast carrots and shallots and roast baby roosters. And a bacon & cream gravy.

And I forgot to take a photo :'(

Had an Aldi curry tonight - the Dopiaza. I was expecting wonderful things, given what I've read here. It was nice. Not fantastic. Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Bangers and Mash yesterday with caramelised red onion gravy, so good.

used this recipe for the gravy:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ultimate-toad-hole-caramelised-onion-gravy

made at least twice the amount of gravy we needed though, will know better for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

katydid wrote: »
    Had an Aldi curry tonight - the Dopiaza. I was expecting wonderful things, given what I've read here. It was nice. Not fantastic. Nice
    You chose the wrong one :D I've only had the Dopiaza once and agree it was a bit meh. Try the Jalfrezi or the Balti and chuck some sliced peppers in with the chicken or whatever you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made a lamb tika from green saffron powder (my freezer is half full of various currys now). Don't like it as much as the korma or the dal, but that is not to say it isn't delicious!

Alun wrote: »
    You chose the wrong one :D I've only had the Dopiaza once and agree it was a bit meh. Try the Jalfrezi or the Balti and chuck some sliced peppers in with the chicken or whatever you're using.

Ah right, I'll do that. I did add peppers and mushrooms and chickpeas to this. Don't get me wrong, it was quite nice; good flavours. I just could have done with more depth...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

First time making a proper roast dinner and it went down with everyone really well with everyone, just wish there was leftovers for today :D

Trying to empty the freezer out so tonight was a selection of fish pie and ham pie, with leftover veg from last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

katydid wrote: »
    Ah right, I'll do that. I did add peppers and mushrooms and chickpeas to this. Don't get me wrong, it was quite nice; good flavours. I just could have done with more depth...

Try the madras, it's the best one imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement