Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Yes, I am sure. Those who perform the halal ritual are required by law to stun the brain first. The animal is therefore not conscious when it is being killed, just the same as non-halal standard slaughter.

A small minority don't adhere to this, but they are acting unlawfully.

There is no real way to know who has acted unlawfully in the slaughter of meat, but that goes for non-halal slaughter too. Slaughter practices in general are very poor and are a good argument towards vegetarianism.

Like you I try to only eat free range, but I know that when I eat out I won't be eating free-range, 90% of the time. It takes a lot of discipline to only eat humanely bred and slaughtered meat.

Where did you get that information? Halal meat has strict procedures that the slaughterer should follow, this does not include stunning. It is also exempt from the Irish law requiring stunning practice.

15.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this section, no person shall in a slaughter-house, slaughter or render unconscious for the purpose of slaughter an animal of any particular kind by any means or in any manner otherwise than by means of an instrument which is an approved instrument in relation to animals of that particular kind and is in good working order and is used in the approved manner.

(2) Nothing in this section shall apply to or render unlawful—

(a) the slaughter of any animal for consumption as food by Jews, where such slaughter is carried out according to the Jewish method by a Jew who is for the time being approved in that behalf by the Chief Rabbi of the Irish Free State for the time being or in his absence by the Board of Shechita of the Jewish Community of Dublin,

or

(b) the slaughter of any animal for consumption as food by Mahommedans, where such slaughter is carried out according to the Mahommedan method by a Mahommedan, or

(c) the slaughter of any animal by any means in the course of an inquiry, investigation, or experiment made by direction of the Minister for Agriculture under this Part of this Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1935/act/45/enacted/en/print#sec7

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Okay now, let's take the animal welfare debate to a more suitable forum and get this thread back on track.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Kovu wrote: »
    Where did you get that information? Halal meat has strict procedures that the slaughterer should follow, this does not include stunning. It is also exempt from the Irish law requiring stunning practice.

Irish slaughter law is subject to EU law. Under EU law animals must be stunned before death and the vast majority of halal slaughterhouses adhere to this. In the UK where halal meat is a billion pound industry, the research shows that 90% adhere to the stunning method.

Info on EU practices here: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/welfare/practice/slaughter/index_en.htm

Islamic law does not prohibit stunning per se. It prohibits any practice that can kill the animal before the halal slaughter has taken place.

In some ways I appreciate the halal method because it must be done by a person, and by hand. A machine cannot do it, and the animal cannot be slaughtered in sight of other animals (which although is written into the Irish guidelines is NOT adhered to). I think it is important that we do not separate ourselves from the reality of what we do when we kill animals to eat them.

I'm not saying halal slaughter is perfect - there will always be cruel people who slaughter animals cruelly, and five minutes googling will show you a hell of a lot of cruelty taking place in pretty much any slaughterhouse.

For that matter no kind of animal slaughter is perfect. It is a brutal act no matter how it happens. But I am always a touch suspicious when people won't eat halal meat because 'it tastes funny'.

Anyway we have railroaded a thread about dinner and I have said everything I want to say on the subject. :)

Okay now, let's take the animal welfare debate to a more suitable forum and get this thread back on track.

Sorry, this wasn't here when I started my reply. Apologies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Jambalaya :)

iqagwz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Don't think I've ever made Jambalaya, must try it some day.

Pork chops, leftover roasties - cubed and fried, mushrooms and brocolli.

3F734FD4-F780-4C9C-9990-3D74041A719A_zpsyfwgn3ha.jpg

I had an Irish Mammy salad tonight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I had an Irish Mammy salad tonight. :pac:

Not authentic, real Irish Mammy salad should have visible salt. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

'Monster' kimchi fries from Bread & Bones (Dublin). Chips, kimchi, 'burnt ends' (deep fried chunks of pork belly - wonderful but not burnt ends), hangar steak and a friend egg. With coriander & garlic may and, eventually, a load of sriracha. Was a thing of beauty.

rriEoyT.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pepper & wild garlic cod fillets from Lidl with buttery mint & coriander cous-cous. I didn't take a pic as it was a very "white" plate of food.

The fish was nice but the marinade was a bit too salty for my palate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The fish was nice but the marinade was a bit too salty for my palate.

I really like their duck fillets but they are really salty as well.

I had buckwheat pancakes with tasty things.

slack_for_ios_upload_720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I find that being over salty is a problem with Lidl stuff. Their prawns are very unpleasant.

For dinner I had enchiladas with sour cream sauce and a side salad

'Monster' kimchi fries from Bread & Bones (Dublin). Chips, kimchi, 'burnt ends' (deep fried chunks of pork belly - wonderful but not burnt ends), hangar steak and a friend egg. With coriander & garlic may and, eventually, a load of sriracha. Was a thing of beauty.

The very best kind of egg. (After mystery ones, of course.)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Sweet and sour chicken. Pain in the ass getting the balance right in the sauce, but think I finally nailed it!

22157498633_47f281abaf_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Sweet chilli chicken and rice, had a nice kick to it, thought it might be too much for the kids but they wolfed it down. Not a pretty pic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jambalaya :)

Touché

367599.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 knope2016

After slowly making my way through the thread, stealing many recipes and whiling away many quiet hours in the office I figured I should try posting!

Can't post pictures just yet but last night we had Aldi's tuna steaks with a mis-mash of mixed beans, tomatoes and herbs with some steamed baby potatoes. All really tasty even if it looked, as my sister told me after seeing a picture: "like a tin of cat food on top of a tin of tomatoes."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

keane2097 wrote: »
    Touché

[IMG][/img]

Can you please share recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Can you please share recipe

No problem, in my case it's just from the BCC page:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya

I actually couldn't get chorizo easily the other evening when I made mine so used some nice smoked bacon and thought it came out really tasty. It's a very simple dish to make but very good, would recommend.

keane2097 wrote: »
    No problem, in my case it's just from the BCC page:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167651/chicken-and-chorizo-jambalaya

Same recipe! :)

• Advertisement

I made gluten free pasta with tomato, bacon and creme fraise sauce and threw a bunch of rocket on top, caus rocket is the biz.
    GF pasta was pretty tasty, i liked it more than i did regular pasta^^

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.jpg

Fish pie. Perfect for a cold, rainy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Meatloaf with couscous and Franks hot sauce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Butternut squash soup.

It was lovely, and all the nicer because it came from my father-in-law's garden. Up until this year, he had only grown ordinary pumpkins, which while nice enough, don't have the depth of flavour of butternut. He tried them this year, and has been converted! :)
    I'm drying the seeds off now so we can plant some ourselves next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

dibkins wrote: »
    GF pasta was pretty tasty, i liked it more than i did regular pasta^^

It's surprisingly tasty, especially Heinz's. My daughter has low tolerance to durum wheat pasta, so I buy GF ones and husband didn't even notice the difference (not that I told him).

The last two nights I had boeuf bourguignon, champ and peas. So comforting.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's surprisingly tasty, especially Heinz's. My daughter has low tolerance to durum wheat pasta, so I buy GF ones and husband didn't even notice the difference (not that I told him).

It was the aldi one i had on recomendation from my sister. It is made from corn. I'll try the Heinz as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Oven baked hake served with roasted sweet potato, carrots and a mixed fish sauce made with garlic, wine and cream

Tonight is cottage pie. 'twas tasty indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I had roast sweet potato peppers and mushrooms, with a cheeky bit of white pudding, coated in roasted pepper pesto, with a light grating of mature white cheddar on top.

Quite a nice concoction if I do say so myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement