Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My head feels like it is packed with concrete right now. Bad dose. So I wanted something light but spicy to unblock my cavities.

So tonight is trout packed with chillis, ginger & lemongrass braised in coconut milk & Thai curry paste with some scallions & baby sweet corn. A couple of kaffir lime leaves, some fish & soy sauce & a few extra split chillis thrown in for good measure.

All I need is aloe vera-impregnated tissues for the subsequent sniffles & I am laughing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Started out with a mandarin juice & prosecco aperitif, then a salad of lambs lettuce & chanterelles

and pumpkin ravioli in butter with parmesan, pumpkin seeds & ham. Do love ravioli.

Where did you get the chanterelles? I haven't had any fresh ones since leaving Germany :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I made burritos tonight.

Black bean stew (recipe courtesy of a Venezuelan friend of mine), sour cream, fresh salsa, lime rice and fresh vegetables, all wrapped in a lovely tortilla.
    Only downside was that neither Aldi nor Lidl had ripe avocado, so I had to give the guacamole a miss.

Dessert was snow cake - a victoria sandwich cake covered in cream all round and sprinkled liberally with coconut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Roast chicken with spuds and parsnips.

Red cabbage and gravy were cancelled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Shenshen wrote: »
    Where did you get the chanterelles? I haven't had any fresh ones since leaving Germany :(

I'm in Switzerland, unfortunately. If you are in Dublin I think I spot them in Fallon & Byrne occasionally. I'm not a huge mushroom eater and had mistranslated 'eierschwämmli' to 'some kind of egg, maybe...' when I ordered the salad :)

Tonight was a giant, called 'jumbo jumbo' on the menu, cordon bleu schnitzel (pork stuffed with ham and emmenthal). It had to be nearly a foot long. Defeated me in the end but only just

AE7E2B49-2878-45D8-8588-EA9C879CBE78_zpsulnein74.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

That looks deadly MissF, I'm very jealous!

Ah, the ol' eierschwämmli mistranslation. Amateur mistake! :pac:

That cordon bleu looks fab. I haven't had one in ages. There is a bar near my gaff here that does 800g cordon bleus for next to nothing. Maybe I'll treat myself soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm in Switzerland, unfortunately.

I'm confused! Are you and Hill Billy having a Cooking meet up and haven't told anyone else?!

We had lasagne last night (one of the ones I made last weekend) as we have guests and it went down a storm, best one I've done. Had it with a Hardys Cabernet/merlot which is on offer for a fiver and is particularly nice. Served with big salad, garlic bread and coleslaw.

Had chicken chasseur tonight with lots of buttery mash, nyummers.

I thought everybody knew that Swizerland is the mod's country of choice to bank all the cash we make on commission for warnings, infractions & bans. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Had a nice 10oz steak out...

Can't not make something though. So some tiramisu for dessert
    8dWDjb.jpg

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm confused! Are you and Hill Billy having a Cooking meet up and haven't told anyone else?!

Like tHB said, I've an awful lot of moderating related ill gotten gains to bank. I got a hefty lump sum for an "ooh Maris pipers" post a few weeks ago from Big Potato that needs hiding from the revenue.

I'm here on a short break with some Swiss family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I cooked paella (Hairy Bikers recipe with a few tweaks) for my sister last night, and we washed it down with prosecco and wine. Not a great pic of the food but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I made risotto for the first time last night, had some bacon and mushrooms in it, it was delicious, I'll probably use a weaker stock next time though, the flavour was very strong and salty since I was only cooking for myself. I am leaning towards not posting the picture I have because it looks horrible. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Last night's main was monkfish wrapped in prosciutto, buttery cabbage and red onion, cider sauce. Ridiculously good.

monkfish_zps0fbc41ea.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Last night's main was monkfish wrapped in prosciutto, buttery cabbage and red onion, cider sauce. Ridiculously good.

That looks amazing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Applause wrote: »
    I made risotto for the first time last night, had some bacon and mushrooms in it, it was delicious, I'll probably use a weaker stock next time though, the flavour was very strong and salty since I was only cooking for myself. I am leaning towards not posting the picture I have because it looks horrible. :pac:

I made a mushroom risotto last night and my stock was also a bit strong! And it wasn't helped by my hand slipping and a ton of grated Parmesan falling in. It was very cheesy :(. But still quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Today I made roast chicken, roast and mash spuds and loads of veg and gravy. Mr Tilly said I'm the best roast dinner maker. I didn't take a pic cause I pilled that plate with food and didn't want to show you all the greedy piggy I am today :D

Damn hangover :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night was typical Saturday night fare; sirloin steak with pepper sauce, garlic potatoes and peas.

The star of the show, however, was a tiramisu my mum made for my birthday. Hers is the best I've ever had. There's a lunchbox full of it accompanying me back to college :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Last night was typical Saturday night fare; sirloin steak with pepper sauce, garlic potatoes and peas.

The star of the show, however, was a tiramisu my mum made for my birthday. Hers is the best I've ever had. There's a lunchbox full of it accompanying me back to college :D
    Happy birthday lady :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Prime rib roast, cabbage cooked in cream, brussel sprouts, petit pois. SO FULL NOW.

primerib_zps303997f9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »

Happy birthday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

That's definitely getting your greens in!!!!!

I made a potato/egg quiche thing. It's a bit tasteless and I have it for lunch!

How long would this last in the fridge, or would I be better freezing it? Can I freeze it?

2zsth0m.jpg

Rare horse steaks (picked up in the airport on my way home), garlic roast potatoes, fried mushrooms & onions and a red wine reduction. One of those good deals where I provided the food and someone else provided the cooked, edible version of it.

Then a LOT of salted almond toblerone. Oh well. It's perfectly ok to wear tights with a bath towel tied around your waist to work if you've eaten yourself out of your work clothes, right?

ACC12B35-6725-421C-B473-4FA04B810ECB_zpsvgqkowi5.jpg

Yum! Mit nüsslisalat auch... Lecker!

Prime rib roast, cabbage cooked in cream, brussel sprouts, petit pois. SO FULL NOW.

Top tip: Keep away from naked flames. ;)

Yum! Mit nüsslisalat auch... Lecker!

Batin' the nüssli into me this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Trout en papillotte with purple colcannon

7d3nUs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

@homemadecider's monkfish:

Ohh Emm Gee

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I made slow cooker dhal using Green Saffron spice mix. Nomnomnomnom.

I5sDb61.jpg

upFoZQA.jpg

Lots for the freezer too!

Today there is chicken stock in the cooker. I'm expecting quite a chickeny pong when i get home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

dibkins wrote: »
    I made slow cooker dhal using Green Saffron spice mix. Nomnomnomnom.

That's looks delicious! Any chance of the recipe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement