Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight we are having roast chicken breasts on the bone, scallion mash and some tinned peas. I didn't realise we had no carrots or broccoli or anything so the tinned variety will have to do this evening.

Ah the joys of a roast chicken dinner without the hassle and fuss of cooking a full chicken.

A Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon will wash it down nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Fishcakes and a big salad for the Merkins this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Beef is the meaning of life.
    df4a5b5581.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bolognese with extra veg.

6QpYWK.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

2 enormous slices of a meat feast type pizza I got as a delivery last week and couldn't finish between 2 of us. Froze them and they were pretty decent after a short holiday in the oven this evening. No photos because, well, old pizza. Not a foxy dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

hardCopy wrote: »
    Bolognese with extra veg.

http://omg.wthax.org/6QpYWK.jpg

We had bolognese with extra wine :o

I'd never added wine before but it was lovely :)

Tongight is striplioin steaks, buttery scallion mash and garlic mushrooms. Washed down with the rest of the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon from last night, and whatever beers are in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Chicken biryani
    7qGke5.jpg

Not bad at all for a first attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Very early dinner since we have a do to go to later (chances are they'll only be serving cocktail sausages and hang sangwish).
    Hainanese Chicken Rice with poached chicken supreme in master stock, condiments of ginger and spring onion in sesame oil, and pounded fresh red chilli with garlic (not in photo).

IMG_20141025_163318_zpsmohmls4f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh that looks devine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Slow cooked beef with red onions and mushrooms. A real crowd pleaser!

Photo0093.jpg

Forgiveness please, I had started stuffing my face before I remembered to take the photo :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Ah the joys of a roast chicken dinner without the hassle and fuss of cooking a full chicken.

Never get why people say roasting a chicken is hassly, it's ridiculously easy and low maintenance. Roasting on-the-bone chicken breasts would be no easier! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Wanted a Chinese. Sensible boyfriend reminded me that we were out for food last night and will be again tomorrow, and that we'd feel better if we cooked tonight rather than drown in a greasy takeaway. So I did Chicken Satay, stir fry veg and egg fried rice. It tastes sooooo like a takeaway; I'm sitting here smiling, absolutely delighted with myself!!

I made a big pot of pasta tonight with plenty of Rioja red wine, mince, chorizo, carrots and mushrooms. Washed down with whatever is left of the Rioja.
    Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Never get why people say roasting a chicken is hassly, it's ridiculously easy and low maintenance. Roasting on-the-bone chicken breasts would be no easier! :confused:
    While it may not be a hassle for you, that's not to say it isn't a hassle for others. Each to their own etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Tarzana2 wrote: »

No need for basting? Much less liquid produced so less splashes/sizzles meaning a cleaner oven? No preparing the bird? I can definitely see how just lashing breast onto a tray is the easier option!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    No need for basting? Much less liquid produced so less splashes/sizzles meaning a cleaner oven? No preparing the bird? I can definitely see how just lashing breast onto a tray is the easier option!

I never baste roast chicken, 'cept maybe to crisp up the skin at the end and that only takes a sec! I roast a 1.2kg bird (rubbed with butter or oil) at 190 degrees for 50 mins covered, then remove the foil and roast at 220 degrees for around 10-15 minutes. Always comes out juicy, in whichever oven I've done it in.

Preparing a bird for roast takes me 5 minutes max. And that's if I'm taking my time! I'd season and oil breasts just the same, so no difference there. Plus with a roast chicken, you have more left for other dinners and/or lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Celebrating many years of wedded bliss, Mrs Gloomster and I went to Fade Street Social tonight.

Most excellent meal with great, friendly service. For desert I had my usual cheese and crackers. Couldn't believe when they brought it out, the crackers were huge, looked fantastic.

Highly recommend the place.

897295C2-8A75-495B-936F-A7D345DD70E7_zpsvsn2y7cf.jpg

While it may not be a hassle for you, that's not to say it isn't a hassle for others. Each to their own etc.

True, I guess, but it really is one the easiest things to cook. People build it up too much which is a shame, as I think it puts novice or reluctant cooks off trying it. Know your timings and away you go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Celebrating many years of wedded bliss, Mrs Gloomster and I went to Fade Street Social tonight.

Happy anniversary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Fishcakes with cabbage & brussel sprouts cooked in garlicky cream. Lots of white wine.

fishcakes_zps87b654bc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Carbonara al negro
    69pyYR.jpg

Why? Why not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not sure how to post in-line images...

Buffalo Wings, Blue Cheese Dip and Celery Sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not sure how to post in-line images...

Buffalo Wings, Blue Cheese Dip and Celery Sticks

Put [IMG][/IMG] around the address or click the little yellow image icon above the text box when posting to add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yesterday was roast rib of beef (slooooow roasted for almost 5 hours) with a variety of roasted root veg & green beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tamarind duck and aubergine curry, with cucumber slices and steamed rice. Thai fragrant would've been perfect but I only had basmathi left in the pantry.

IMG_20141027_192130_zps17ro01d_edit_1414438069990_zpsa8lhcnnr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

dmc17 wrote: »
    Put [IMG][/IMG] around the address or click the little yellow image icon above the text box when posting to add them.

I was thinking to upload from the phone but guess that can only be an attachment...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Im a lurker. This thread is amazing. Thank you all.

But had to come out of my cave to tentatively tell you what we had for tea tonight.

I am afraid....very afraid!!!

Clon Black pudding, some other white pudding, Denny i think, skin removed, sausagemeat, (actually the local butcher sausage, skin removed), mash spuds leftover from yesterday, a tiny bit of oregano, onion powder (Tesco be praised), diced peppers. garlic and paprika ( fried for a minute or two ) and aromat seasoning.

Mashed it all together. And made fried cakes out of em. Oh the lord be praised. Served with onion gravy (not my own aagh), and carrots and broccoli.

Divine. Divine. I love this kind of food. mix and gatherum.

No pic. Don't know how to post from iphone or tablet.

Love the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Chicken noodle soup. Tasty

photo1_zpsc46bb78b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Share your recipe for the chicken noodle soup please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Share your recipe for the chicken noodle soup please!
    Sure thing!

(Feeds 3, or 2 hungry people)

Fry 4 finely sliced scallions for a couple of minutes
    Add 2 cloves crushed garlic and a good lump of grated ginger, fry another couple of minutes
    Add 1tsp 5 spice and 3tsp cornflour. Mix to a paste.
    Add 900ml chicken stock and a dash of soy sauce
    Throw in frozen peas, frozen sweetcorn and 250g dried egg noodles. Bring to the boil and simmer about 3 minutes.

While that's on the go sprinkle 1 chicken breast per person with 5 spice, salt, pepper, and sesame oil. Cover with cling film, bash it flat and griddle it until golden.

Dish out the soup. Chop the chicken into pieces and sprinkle over the bowl of soup.

Since I'm only cooking for one I only used half of the soup and reduced it reduced down to a lovely consistency that I'll using as a chow mein base for some leftover lamb tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement