Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Loire wrote: »
    I've been meaning to make one of these - any particular recipe you use / recommend?

Had a take-away from Ramen (Asian street food place) in Cork last night. They do a main course for 6e before 6pm each day. No idea what it was called but it really hit the spot with a nice, cold beer ;):)
    I kind of just adapted a normal lasagne recipe.
    Ok this is blasphemy but I cook a full bag of frozen spinach, and squeeze out as much water as possible. Mix with a chopped small onion and a chopped clove of garlic.
    I use 500g of ricotta.
    In your oven proof dish, layer lasagne sheets, spinach, ricotta twice and finish with a layer of lasagne sheets. Cover that with tomato sauce (I used my homemade one - one onion, one clove of garlic sautéd in oil, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon of tomato puree and a good handful of chopped basil), then a layer of bechamel sauce, and plenty of grated cheese. Cook for 30 to 40 mins until the cheese is nicely bubbly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I kind of just adapted a normal lasagne recipe.
    Ok this is blasphemy but I cook a full bag of frozen spinach, and squeeze out as much water as possible. Mix with a chopped small onion and a chopped clove of garlic.
    I use 500g of ricotta.
    In your oven proof dish, layer lasagne sheets, spinach, ricotta twice and finish with a layer of lasagne sheets. Cover that with tomato sauce (I used my homemade one - one onion, one clove of garlic sautéd in oil, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon of tomato puree and a good handful of chopped basil), then a layer of bechamel sauce, and plenty of grated cheese. Cook for 30 to 40 mins until the cheese is nicely bubbly.

Sounds soo good. Thanks!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Vietnamese roast chicken from the cooking club (I'm so in love with this recipe), leafy salad, baked bushbok sweet potato, and grilled turmeric aubergine. Satisfaction.

IMG_20141015_140544_zps4dxfwlc7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Vietnamese roast chicken from the choking club (I'm so in love with this recipe), leafy salad, baked bushbok sweet potato, and grilled turmeric aubergine. Satisfaction.

Oooh Matron!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Last night the boyfriend took me out for dinner, but seeing as it was a Tuesday night we couldn't go for tapas as planned, so we went to the Court House Hotel in Carlow as we enjoyed it so much the last time.

However they'd completely changed the menu, getting rid of the lovely Thai green curry and sirloin steak we'd had before. Instead, we went for burgers with house relish, smoked cheese and bacon, with chips and onion rings.

It was a pretty decent burger though, cooked medium, and the cheese was delicious. The waitress did say they hadn't finalised their menu though, so hopefully they'll be putting some of the other dishes back on it soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I usually make chicken curry with coconut milk but I decided to do it differently this time by using some chicken stock, tomato puree and greek yogurt and I think this is the way I'm gonna make it from now on! I think I'll put in some real chilli the next time to spice it up some more. Enough for tomorrow and another batch for the freezer! :cool:

1927919_10154678050765307_5927674968058487352_n.jpg?oh=e38a5e4982fa28a2b3c10f1abaf7c5f7&oe=54F2C6A7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight I am having grilled smokey rashers, fried eggs and mashed spuds.

I am also making Lamb and Beef stews for tomorrows dinner and the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Last night's dinner was chilli lime chicken, with a tomato and mozzarella salad. Not a great photo, but it was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Butterbean, chickpea and chorizo stew followed by Hummingbird cake. Yum, stuffed to the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Haven't been on much lately new born baby keeping us busy :), but here's a few from the last week

BBQ steak, wilted spinach with red peppers and sweet potato fries.

8be48231-7513-4953-bfac-41b54d3ecd83_zps9ed36569.jpg

Jamie Oliver's comfort food Chicken Kiev and Broccoli mash

350d3cd6-6d48-4d81-8af3-a254bc59047d_zpsab515101.jpg

Homemade pizza topped with tomato based sauce, mozzarella, red cheddar, chorizo, chicken coated in smoked paprika and chilli powder, red onion, spring onion, red pepper and spinach.

28fd3534-f02d-4d8e-8ccc-e4cc5400ad20_zps4bad49b0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mushroom, asparagus and thyme risotto

6Czjk8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Lamb stew, Ballycotton potatoes followed by Ice-Cream, Cream & Berries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Haven't been on much lately new born baby keeping us busy :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations :D boy or girl? Missflitworth is a lovely name for a child I've always thought...

B0jangles wrote: »
    Oooh Matron!

:p

Edited!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations :D boy or girl? Missflitworth is a lovely name for a child I've always thought...

A baby girl 9 weeks old and she already has me wrapped God help me once she begins to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Congratulations Marty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Haven't been on much lately new born baby keeping us busy :)

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I really need to start taking pics again.

We got a big bag of fresh spuds, parsnips and beetroots from OH's family farm at the weekend. Last night was chicken breast smothered in hot sauce and tex mex seasoning served with a huge pile of mash and mayonnaise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Spicy bean and pepper stew (or goulash, to all of you who don't find the word distasteful) with mashed potato.... just the thing for rainy, cold evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had shin beef stew last night with baby potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Last night's dinner needed to be

1. Easy (ie capable of being prepared by an amoeba, which I was after work)
    2. Cheap
    3. Tasty

So we got a jar of the specially selected tikka masala in Aldi, and pre-diced chicken.

The hob in my boyfriend's house is terrible and slow, but I think the low, slow simmer helped make it the best tasting dinner I've had in aaaages. I love those jars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Congrats :)

Last night was one of those 'I'm too hungover for greasy food but still don't want to cook' moods, so we got an Indian takeaway. A lovely spicy lamb Rogan Josh for me, Madras for my boyfriend and a garlic naan. Very satisfying without being too heavy and oily :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Leek & potato soup and all I have to say is om a nom a nom anomanomanommmmmmmm..........

Grilled cod marinated with lemongrass and chilli, on puy lentils cooked with sofritto, and leafy salad.

IMG_20141016_180735_zpsbghday8a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Shredded beef brisket tacos with radish and carrots.

325447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sausage and mash, onion gravy, baked beans and grated cheese.

11E4BC67-2BF0-4640-86DC-239D7F24C987_zpsequk6jva.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had delicious fish pie on Tuesday and last night. I used cod, jumbo prawns, smoked haddock and hake and it was really comforting.

Have just had an Indian take away this evening. Chicken tikka jalfrezi, pilau rice and plain naan bread, made a pig of myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Catfish po'boy for me last night, with Cajun fries. The fries were a little spicy for my delicate palate (needed some mayonnaise!) but the po'boy was delicious. It had lettuce, tomatoes and pickles in it, along with the fish. I'd never had catfish before and I expected it to be quite meaty, but it was actually quite a thin, flaky fish.

Himself had sliced slow-roast brisket with BBQ sauce, sweet potato mash and the most amazing slaw I've ever tried. It tasted like there was apple and lime in it. It was so zingy and fresh! I must ask them for the recipe.

I think there was a slaw thread around here a while back that I must dig out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stir-fry with beef, green beans, bok choi, scallions, coriander stalks, chillis, ginger & garlic. A splash of soy, chilli & oyster sauces to loosen it up. A squeeze of lime juice & colander leaves to finish it off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement