Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Really Easy Mushroom Risotto from BBC. Never lets me down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A 'Kooky Chuck' from Pieminister. Was ok. One of their lighter range and the filling got very pasty tasting very fast. Nice Monday evening beer to go with it though!

F80BC9B0-AD14-443E-AA96-C4D315BB1B34_zpsfbvhgy1c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sausage casserole, always a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Faith wrote: »
    (terrible, finding it really hard to get decent potatoes here!),

Doing this on my phone so hope I quoted without the photo (apologies if not!)

I'm not sure about Canada - but where I'm from (just over the border into NY :) ) you get Russet potatoes and the Irish equivalent (in my opinion!) are Maris Piper - I don't find a huge difference in using them here as Russets were my NY spud. I've used them in all types of dishes and they are the best for mashed and baked as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks! The main issue here is they tend to be sold loose, without any indication of type. There's a lot of guessing involved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight was some mince mixture reheated and served with mashed spuds.

Last night was Lamb chops, carrots, mashed spuds and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Faith wrote: »
    Thanks! The main issue here is they tend to be sold loose, without any indication of type. There's a lot of guessing involved!
    You should try buying spuds in Switz. They have no names in the shops I use. They are labelled (very loosely translated) 'for baking', 'for mashing', 'for salads', etc...

But I want a floury potato to do with as I damn well wish!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Shepherd's pie today with loads of peas. I absolutely love peas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Peas, turnips, hash browns and scrambled egg.

Guess who forgot to take out meat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tea smoked duck from the cooking club, with sweet potato fries and salad. Thumbs up!

IMG_20141014_191520_zpsr22b8fv1.jpg

• Advertisement

Crusty bread dipped in olive oil & balsamic, a bucket of cherry toms swimming in olive oil & balsamic, cheeeeeese toastie à la George Foreman. Beer & chocolate & happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seared beef medallions (on special in Aldi), garlic smashed potatoes (as mentioned by someone here), corn on the cobs, green beans, brocolli and a mushroom sauce. Tuesday treat or what! :)

93AC024D-ECB5-413C-9584-B635E258859F_zps02ajxxoj.jpg

Savage spread there, G!

Dinner for 1 for me. Had roasted wings in butter & a viciously hot sauce. For a side I made a slaw/salsa with tomatoes, bok choi, scallions, chillis, lime juice, red wine vinegar & rapeseed oil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You should try buying spuds in Switz. They have no names in the shops I use. They are labelled (very loosely translated) 'for baking', 'for mashing', 'for salads', etc...

Same here! Then one day I picked up a bag of red potatoes that claimed they were 'great for mashing!" and they were waxy, horrible shytes.

Although, as I type that, I'm having a dim memory of someone saying that North Americans prefer a waxy spud... :(

Seared beef medallions (on special in Aldi), garlic smashed potatoes (as mentioned by someone here), corn on the cobs, green beans, brocolli and a mushroom sauce. Tuesday treat or what! :)

How did you sear the beef like that? Griddle pan? They're the most appetising things I've seen in a while!

How did you sear the beef like that? Griddle pan? They're the most appetising things I've seen in a while!

Yeah, we have a Le Creuset griddle pan we bought years ago. Smoked the kitchen out but worth it. Also €8 for 4 'steaks', fantastic value and very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

A using-up-things dinner, worked out really nice though. Baked chicken fillets and shredded them, mixed in some fried onions, garlic and (old) peppers, added cream and chicken stock. Topped with slices of parboiled potato and into the oven for 20 minutes. I had third helpings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Gloomtastic - how are those aldi beef medallions? Tender or...? Anyone know what cut they are? Cheers

vicwatson wrote: »
    Gloomtastic - how are those aldi beef medallions? Tender or...? Anyone know what cut they are? Cheers

Cooked them for about 8 minutes each side, They were fine, pink in the middle. No fat or grizzle so they weren't chewy at all. Not sure of the cut but you could pass them off as fillet no problem (to me anyway).

Here in France, the varieties in the supermarket aren't very obvious either (it's the same, they are divided by cooking type). However, often if you look on the barcode label, the variety is written in a tiny font!

• Advertisement

Ricotta and spinach lasagne, delicious, and a nice change from the standard lasagne.

Maybe us Irish just love our spuds that much we like to call them by name. :D

Also, Agathe just doesn't have the same ring as Kerrs Pinks or British queens, does it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Have to contradict - Austrians and Southern Germans will buy them by name as well.
    My mom will only buy Nicola or Christa, no other potato will set foot in her house ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Cooked them for about 8 minutes each side, They were fine, pink in the middle. No fat or grizzle so they weren't chewy at all. Not sure of the cut but you could pass them off as fillet no problem (to me anyway).

8 minutes each side?!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

J Mysterio wrote: »
    8 minutes each side?!?

Each to his own taste, as discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89396749

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Each to his own taste, as discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89396749

I don't think JM was questioning how they like their steak.
    I assume, like me, he/she wondered how those thin steaks could be cooked on a hot griddle pan for 16 minutes and still be pink in the middle.

Ha! Not much gets past you guys.... :rolleyes:

I haven't a clue how long they were on for tbh. It wasn't a couple of minutes and it wasn't ages so I plumped for 8, the ones in the middle cooked quicker than the ones on the outside. The griddle only really cooks the meat touching the metal, the rest is heat induction and so they can be sitting on the griddle for quite a long time and not be cooked through. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Chicken Jalfrezi

5euhYNVl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ricotta and spinach lasagne, delicious, and a nice change from the standard lasagne.

I've been meaning to make one of these - any particular recipe you use / recommend?

Had a take-away from Ramen (Asian street food place) in Cork last night. They do a main course for 6e before 6pm each day. No idea what it was called but it really hit the spot with a nice, cold beer ;):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement