Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

^^ love that - perfect quick winter dinner. Can't wait to try

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have it with fish too and it's really good. Or you could use beef stock and leftover roast beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sunday roast transplanted to monday.
    Onion, carrots and celery roughly chopped and fried in the cast iron skillet for a few minutes, then dumped into the roasting tin along with some white wine and some chicken stock; beef rib roast rolled and tied, smeared all over with a paste made in the blender from fresh parsley stalks, fresh thyme leaves, six cloves of garlic, salt, pepper and a little olive oil, stuck a thermometer probe in the beef and an oven thermometer in the oven because I've learnt not to trust that lying thing, then into an oven adjusted for 90-100C for a few hours till it hit 55C internal, taken out and rested in tin foil while the oven was cranked as high as it would go.
    Potatoes peeled and cut into large 2-3" chunks, put into a large pot of boiling salted water which was brought to the boil again and immediately turned down to a bare simmer, and left there for 30 minutes. Then out into the colander and left to steam dry while the oven climbed to its highest temperature with a cast iron roasting tin in the oven.
    Carrots just peeled, sliced, cooked for an hour or so in some butter and salt, nothing special but tasty.
    Goose fat into the cast iron roasting pan when the oven had gotten as high as it was going to and had held it there for a few minutes; then the spuds in after it, and cooked for 25 minutes, turned and basted every seven or eight minutes.
    The beef roasting tin was emptied into a sieve and all the jus caught, then reduced in a saucepot and a half-teaspoon of flour added to thicken it up.
    Beef back into the oven for the last ten minutes of the potatoes' cooking time to get a nice crust.

End result; lovely spuds, lovely carrots, lovely colour on the beef.... but it hadn't been butchered brilliantly and had some unexpected gristle in it.
    Gee, thanks Mr. Butcher, glad I didn't put any effort in to cooking it...

/sigh

edit: Oh yeah, when the spuds are done roasting, take them out of the tin into a serving bowl, then drain the goosefat from the roasting tin into a jug or some other container that can cope with the heat; then after you've put the spuds on the plate, spoon some of the fat over the spuds on the plate (about two teaspoon's worth per spud). Gives it a nice shine and texture at the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Sparks wrote: »
    Sunday roast transplanted to monday.

Sounds absolutely divine Sparks !

• Registered Users Posts: 31,826 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A recipe from the side of Fage 0% yogurt. Taco Chilli Bowls!

1507193_10154721014750307_597229197427159753_n.jpg?oh=f61949e3fa21717726550807bcac8c80&oe=54F5391D&__gda__=1424737143_134e458e6b97abc3e018ba3a43b0e895

It was so easy and super yummy! I swore after going to California in the summer that I was finished with Mexican food for 6 months but it looked nice and tasty. I've got enough left over for another three or four bowls. The greek yogurt tastes lovely on it and healthier than cream.

You can get the tortillas in Supervalu packed in a bowl shape already so all you have to do is wrap them in tin foil and put them in the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I roasted some veg and chicken.

Boiled some potatoes. Chucked it together. With homemade curry sauce. Simmered it for an hour.

Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Leftover roast chicken going into a risotto tonight with caramelised onions and mushrooms. Just had a sneaky-boo taste there and it's divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Beer battered cod with oven crinkle chips, peas and homemade tartare sauce.
    I should've stuck to Heston's batter recipe; this one wasn't as good.

IMG_20141028_194421_zpsfzfydpo2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Chicken balti with chickpeas, mushrooms, spinach and peas. Served with steamed cauliflower instead of rice (last push of the pre-wedding diet!)

chickenbalti_zps1d8715d7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not sure how to post in-line images...

Buffalo Wings, Blue Cheese Dip and Celery Sticks
    OMG they look fab ....... How did you coat the wings please?

• Advertisement

Chicken balti with chickpeas, mushrooms, spinach and peas. Served with steamed cauliflower instead of rice (last push of the pre-wedding diet!)

Aaaaah... When's the big day?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Beer battered cod with oven crinkle chips, peas and homemade tartare sauce.
    I should've stuck to Heston's batter recipe; this one wasn't as good.

Looks lovely-to settle an argument between and the crazy Russian I married-do you use gherkins in the tartare sauce?

I'm nearly sure I can see those damned gherkins

I used my leftover noodle broth to make a chow mein-y stir-fry-y thing with leftover lamb that tasted amazing! And I still have enough noodles left for lunch tomorrow, maybe with some sausages.

photo2_zpsa954d13a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

1966 wrote: »
    OMG they look fab ....... How did you coat the wings please?

Thanks.

I just put on regular flour, with a teaspoon of paprika and two of cayenne. The trick is to put them all into a plastic bag, tie it up and give it a good shake - nothing coats them better. Keep them in the fridge for at least an hour before.cooking.

I fry them in a deep pan in v. hot vegetable oil for about 2.5 mins each side. You can throw them in the oven for a healthier version though it's not as good.

Then, in a saucepan, mix a cup of Franks original sauce and a cup of margarine. Add a tablespoon of white wine vinegar or rice vinegar and a teaspoon of garlic granules. When mixed, toss the cooked wings in the sauce, shake off excess and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Aaaaah... When's the big day?

About 7 weeks away! Not that I'm counting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Butterflied leg of lamb with lemon, rosemary and garlic. Served with roasties, veg and gravy.

45DD3AAB-A2F9-4D7E-A2BA-CCE393AA2C50_zpsfrp4kijp.jpg

Makood wrote: »
    Looks lovely-to settle an argument between and the crazy Russian I married-do you use gherkins in the tartare sauce?

I'm nearly sure I can see those damned gherkins

You got that right. Along with capers, dill, chives, parsley and spring onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonights dinner was roast rack of lamb cooked pink; fine bulgar wheat with a little softened onion in butter; baked aubergine topped with crumbly white cheese, chilli, toasted pinenuts, dried cranberries, mint and a squeeze of lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

5Twh95.jpg

Tapas de Chorizo, Albóndigas y Aceitunas (sautéed chorizo sausage, Spanish meatballs and mixed olives (g) with homemade bread)

6JHXGG.jpg

Pancetta wrapped Sea Bass on ‘Sauce Viège’ (shallots, tomato, olive oil
    and balsamic dressing), served with Saffron Potatoes,
    Green Beans

4FYbFM.jpg

Tiramisu?

Lots of flavour but, felt they were trying too hard.

kylith wrote: »
    I used my leftover noodle broth to make a chow mein-y stir-fry-y thing with leftover lamb that tasted amazing! And I still have enough noodles left for lunch tomorrow, maybe with some sausages.

I love a dish that keeps giving and giving. Sounds delicious kylith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Morning!! Been away a bit over the last few days and eaten some great and some not so great dinners (Sunday was, for example, a slightly soggy train sandwich, crisps and a bad temper)

Monday was rare ribeye steak from the Aldi fancy pants black box range with garlic baby potatoes, roasted garlic cloves, a green salad, fried onions/mushrooms and a red wine reduction.

F6789E20-1CBE-4D0D-B01C-DE747188CA42_zpsbr29c7gg.jpg

Last night I made a chili (praising myself here, but it was really pretty good), served with rice & grated gruyere (no strong cheddar in the house. Madness) which served 2 of us with an extra portion in the freezer for a nacho & margarita night this Saturday. VERY excited for Saturday me. Bit worried for Sunday me though.

3269988B-508E-4A69-AD58-97FD6E686132_zpsjqsrfkpq.jpg

I love a dish that keeps giving and giving. Sounds delicious kylith.

Threw in some broccoli and some chopped up Cumberland sausages and it made a great lunch. I'll be making that recipe again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

All your recent meals have seemed super veggy, low carby indeed!

Green masala prawn curry, served with steamed basmati and chilli syrup on top.

IMG_20141029_184924_zpsasoivnz_edit_1414627400390_zpssczxnlt1.jpg

Burger and chips from the Farm takeaway. Oh my goodness was it delicious. A bit more putting together than I expected, but definitely made of good beef, with good salad included and a proper roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tuesday night we had duck breasts with peas and mashed spuds.

Last night we had steak with baked potatoes with garlic butter that my boyfriend put together. It was delicious.

I don't often have baked potatoes but I think they will be a regular thing now, they are so delicious and fluffy on the inside.

Can imagine them with a spicy mince mix and plenty of grated cheese on top....mmm.

Made Salmon burgers last night and they were really good! Served with roasted turnip & asparagus.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7712/superhealthy-salmon-burgers

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    Made Salmon burgers last night and they were really good! Served with roasted turnip & asparagus.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7712/superhealthy-salmon-burgers

Loire.

They sound lovely but I hate the way food writers keep trying to reinvent the same thing.

"hmmm Thai salmon cakes are so last year.......
    I know, I'll write a recipe for Thai salmon burgers. It's going to be the new big thing! "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Pork, butternut squash and cider casserole. Tasty although the sauce was a little watery. Served with crusty bread to mop up the juices!
    Pork_zpsd54cde99.jpg

• Advertisement

They sound lovely "

They were - just a new taste (for us anyway) and will slot into Loire's weekly swill-pot menu nicely :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement