Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Tonight was our regular Friday night dinner of late - chicken burgers n chips. Which involved seeded baps, a healthy dollop of burger sauce, Big Al's Kickin Chicken goujons, lettuce and grated cheddar (plus red onion and gherkins for himself), along with twice cooked homemade chips. (And another dollop of burger sauce for dipping the chips in). It won't win any Michelin stars but it's great for when you're a few beers in and want something takeaway-ish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tilly wrote: »
    Moroccan meatballs and couscous. It was very tasty :)

Tilly - that looks fab! Any chance you could post the recipe for the meatballs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Tilly - that looks fab! Any chance you could post the recipe for the meatballs?

No prob Mr Billy :)

Have to do it picture style as I'm running out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had a dirty bag of fish and chips that wasn't even great. There goes my once-a-week allowance on takeaway. Batter too thick, chips were cooked on heat a couple of notches too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Had a dirty bag of fish and chips that wasn't even great. There goes my once-a-week allowance on takeaway. Batter too thick, chips were cooked on heat a couple of notches too high.

Ugh ugh ugh! If there's one thing I HATE is batter being too thick. Or soggy. And damp. OK, that's three things but UGH.
    So disappointing when your treat lets you down.

I once had a curry from a Chinese where the chicken was all spongey and squishy. It was revolting.
    Turned me off Chinese takeaways for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I haven't been posting here for a while due to an injury that prevents me from sitting at the computer and from cooking. I have a few pics of dinners from before cooking was forbidden and a dinner from last night that I conceived but Mrs. Beer executed - a very stressful arrangement :eek:

First up: A chicken thigh stirfry with green beans, Chinese leaves, spring onion, ginger and chilli.

59dByU.jpg

Shin beef stew. Steamed baby new potatoes. Green salad.

6JjxkV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Oh beer that sounds like an utter balls, hope you're on the path to recovery?

I picked up a half leg of lamb cheap in Dunne's so I took it off the bone, cubed it and dry marinated it in garlic and marjoram before skewering and grilling it.
    Crushed roast baby potatoes. Grilled tomatoes with garlic. Green salad.

76P3sw.jpg

I had lamb left over so the next day we had it in Aldi Mediterranean wraps with rocket, garlic yoghurt and Frank's hotsauce.

5m8hBS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Feel better soon Beer!

And finally, last nights dinner as (mostly - I couldn't stop myself :o) done by Mrs. Beer.
    I had a M&S haggis in the freezer for ages and had been trying to work out what to do with it for ages. I finally came up with the following:

Haggis in filo pastry parcels.
    Turnip rosti.
    Pink pickled turnip with apple and whisky.
    White turnips cooked with honey, butter and thyme.
    Boulangere potatoes with apple. (not pictured)
    Coarse rocket salsa.
    Mustard apple whisky sauce.

Guests brought starter, dessert and a selection of Irish cheeses.
    Coarse smoked salmon pate with crisp toasts.
    Apricot tart.

5g2dHA.jpg

I hope people don't mind the multiple posts.
    I probably wont be posting dinners or pics here again for a while:(

Oh beer that sounds like an utter balls, hope you're on the path to recovery?

Feel better soon Beer!

It is an utter balls:(. I miss cooking but I'm already much improved, thanks.
    3 weeks done probably the same again before I'm half way back to normal.

Poor Mrs Beer who while perfectly capable, really doesn't like cooking is having to do everything - shopping, cooking, clearing up. I hate not being allowed to help:( As I type here (shouldn't be sitting really) she's doing meals for the freezer for me as she's going away next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Beer, get well soon! I'll miss your posts!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hope you're back in action soon, beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Lazy, lazy dinner of a Milano's margherita, salad and garlic creme fraiche dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I rarely get weekends off so had a boozy boozy day. Himself has gone to bed so I'm having even more beer with cheesy garlic bread and a scary movie.... My healthy soup I made can wait til tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Squid ink rice with roast butternut squash and squid stuffed with tomato/onion and chorizo.

A very odd coloured meal:D

Sounds like very Halloween themed colours Kovu!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Saturday night Cha Han from Wagamama's and some chilled white..Inhaled :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sounds like very Halloween themed colours Kovu!

Never thought of that but you are right :p

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I had lunch in Little Caesars today, then a Zumo smoothie, then half a freezer pizza which was rancid and I've just ordered a chinese. Elastic pants for me tomorrow lads!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made carbonara last night and it was vile. Canadian bacon is SO sweet. It was like I'd poured a load of smoky, salty syrup in with the eggs or something. I could barely eat it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Broccoli and blue cheese soup to start, which was lovely, and then salmon and lemon risotto, which was very bland, there was no depth of flavour to it at all.

Faith wrote: »
    I made carbonara last night and it was vile. Canadian bacon is SO sweet. It was like I'd poured a load of smoky, salty syrup in with the eggs or something. I could barely eat it :(

Ugh, commiserations, I can almost taste how bad this was in my head

A rare ribeye, with slices of raw onion, juices from the pan & a couple of chunks of Zöpfli bread for soakage. And a glass of Barbera D'Asti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We got some rainbow trout (a new one for me) and it was delicious. Himself baked it in the oven with lemon, garlic, onion & butter.

rainbowtrout1_zpsbfe0f41b.jpg

Adding on the butter and herbs...

rainbowtrout2_zpsa58ca66c.jpg

We ate it with brussel sprouts & potato. And wine. Errr and some gin.

rainbowtrout3_zps32c330d1.jpg

That looks more like seatrout to me.
    Also looks very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Shredded pork wrap with lots of spinach, salsa, guacamole, raw peppers, cucumber, tomato and rice.

porkwrap_zps752e59b4.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement