Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Spaghetti with meatballs as made by Mr Dizzy because I've pulled a muscle in my back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Spaghetti with meatballs as made by Mr Dizzy because I've pulled a muscle in my back :(

Oh no, back pain is the devil. Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Wholewheat pasta with smoked salmon, peas, a dollop of pesto and creme fraiche topped with fresh parmersan cheese. Quick and easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Mr Tilly made a curry. I'm very full :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did slow cooked veal belly again today, but this time I marinated it overnight in soy, honey, chilli, ginger & garlic. I roasted it at 100C for 5 hours & then served with chilli roast baby spuds, garlicky green beans & sauce from the leftover marinade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Get well soon Beer and get well soon Dizzy, hope you're both well on the road to recovery.

Last night had roast sirloin of beef. I let it rest for a good hour and it was just so juicy and moist. Had it with roasties, roast parsnips, sprouts (YAY for them being back in season \o/) and my cauliflower cheese which I posted about recently. Mr. Merkin made delicious red wine gravy which I honestly wanted to drink out of the jug but thought I best not.

Dinner washed down with a delicious Malbec.

I also prepared two large lasagnes, both of which are now keeping each other company in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Merkin wrote: »
    Mr. Merkin made delicious red wine gravy which I honestly wanted to drink out of the jug but thought I best not.

Nothing adds magic to a relationship like seeing your better half full on glugging back gravy from a jug though :)

Last night I had Day 2 stew. It was really very good. Will be better than tonights 'something from Marks & Spencer that goes BING when done' option anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made fish pie, which I'm told was lovely but I have a cold so I can't taste anything :( (perhaps that explains the bland risotto on Saturday? Hmm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Urgh. Feel better soon Ivy! There's some dose floating about at the moment, everyone is minus their sense of smell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Hungarian chicken paprika with fresh nokedli noodles, similar to German spatzlë, with cucumber salad in sour cream and dill that no one fancied. Can't please everyone.

IMG_20141013_125322_zpsvsd0svga.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Not last night, but last week :)

Salamanca Tapas:

x9E1eTVl.jpg

GAMBAS PIL PIL. King Prawns in olive Oil, Chilli, Garlic and Brandy
    HUEVOS ROTOS CON CHISTORRA. Chunky Potatoes, Fried Broken Eggs & Chistorra, topped with Nachos of Black Pudding.
    CHORIZO PICANTE AL VINO. Sauteed Spicy Chorizo, mixed Peppers in red Wine.
    PIMIENTOS RELLENOS DE CARNE PICANTE. Baked Peppers, stuffed with Chilli Beef and Sour Cream
    ALBONDIGAS CON TOMATE. Beef & Pork Meatballs in Tomato Sauce.

omnomnomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Hungarian chicken paprika with fresh nokedli noodles, similar to German spatzlë, with cucumber salad in sour cream and dill that no one fancied.

I've given up making salad for visitors!

I made pulled pork and ate rather a lot of it over the weekend with lots of different salads. Rest of it in the freezer now, phew.

AoDi6NH.jpg

M6hU6uA.jpg

rXWWDVx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm so not brave enough to try making pulled pork yet. Soon, soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm so not brave enough to try making pulled pork yet. Soon, soon...

It's piss easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's piss easy.

Um, thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Merkin wrote: »
    Get well soon Beer and get well soon Dizzy, hope you're both well on the road to recovery.

Last night had roast sirloin of beef. I let it rest for a good hour and it was just so juicy and moist. Had it with roasties, roast parsnips, sprouts (YAY for them being back in season \o/) and my cauliflower cheese which I posted about recently. Mr. Merkin made delicious red wine gravy which I honestly wanted to drink out of the jug but thought I best not.

Dinner washed down with a delicious Malbec.

I also prepared two large lasagnes, both of which are now keeping each other company in the freezer.

Beer and Ivy (sounds like an Indie Scottish band....) sorry to hear about your woes and hope you are well on the roads to recovery.

Merkin, snap! Had a piece of roast sirloin I picked up from SuperValu last night. Served it with roast squash and garlic spuds. I was all bloody delish! Washed down with a a pleasant Malbec too!

Saturday was a Yellow Thai Seafood curry. Very nice too and allowed the Red Meat feast on the following day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Um, thanks?

lol.

Here's the recipe I used (more or less): http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/03/recipe-best-pulled-pork-crock-pot/

Only I didnt use a slow cooker but my Aga and a cast iron pot. Cooked for about 1 hr in a hot compartment and then 10 hrs in the keepy warmy compartment. Different recipes will tell you 6 hrs/ 8/ 10/ 24.

I didnt use pork shoulder either but, i think, a cut of the leg - same result, ask your butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Tonight's fare was another makey-uppy version of salmon fillet with pasta, in a sauce comprising of cream, garlic, parmesan, seasoning and slightly under done onions.

Normally I add a dash of white wine, but the realities of student life mean that's a luxury these days. I compensated with extra pasta.

Quite tasty all the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

2 tomatoes filled with egg, onions and cheese. Took ages to bake.

A chicken and bacon scrambled egg thing with the egg I had left over.

Boiled turnip and broccoli.

Loads left over for lunch tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jamie Oliver's roasted tomato soup. It was absolutely scrumptious.

• Advertisement

Tonight I had a braised blade steak with (shop bought) rösti. I used some of the braising liquor to make a gravy. The leftover liquor & braising veg (carrots, celery & onions) was liquidized to make soup for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

A pork chop sparsely seasoned with salt and black pepper, accompanied by steamed baby potatoes which I smashed with a bit of butter. Fast, simple and unhealthy but delicious. :)
    28cadabd54.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had chicken fajitas this evening which we really enjoyed, sexed it up with my famous guacamole, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Had butter chicken (added some chillis for spice) brown rice, naan and full control of remote control - a bottle of cab sav to go with! I am happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm doing ribollita tonight. Well, this Tuscan cavalo nero and bean stew needs to be cooked twice, so I'm cooking it tonight to let the flavours develop until tomorrow when I give it another blast.

I also picked up a cross-cut shin of beef, bone-on. I love cooking osso bucco (crosscut veal shin on the bone), but I'm going to see how I can adapt the recipe for the beef. It should be delicious.

Just cook the beef for 30-45 mins longer should do it (depending on the thickness of the cut).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Thanks. It's about 1.25" thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Baked Ziti - lots and lots leftover

20nRM0Wl.jpg

Doesn't look like there's a lot of cheese in the pic, but there's plenty of mozzarella, ricotta and parmesan. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanksgiving!

zoxKD38l.jpg

Roast carrots and roast chicken on the plates, 'candied' sweet potato, mashed potato (terrible, finding it really hard to get decent potatoes here!), gravy, cranberry sauce, cornbread and a glass of wine (or two...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thai chicken curry. Used a jar for the paste and it was grand. Those Kallo stock cubes are really good. Also "splashed out" and bought Tilda rice as it was reduced in Tesco...sold...delicious rice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement