Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Fillet steak, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, onions & a gravy made with the end of a bottle of brandy. I saw the sprouts in Lidl yesterday and couldn't resist - we will be on a sunny beach this Xmas so good to get the festive eating started now!

filletsteak_zpscf3c486f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

A few dinners over the last couple of days.
    Today I made lunch for my family - the Hairy Dieters Skinny Lasagne with a green salad. It's such a good lasagne recipe.
    A not-so-skinny dessert was made - Brenda Costigan's Chocolate and Pecan Gateau - very naughty, rummy, chocolately deliciousness.

Yesterday had pork and chilli sausages baked in tomatoes, chickpeas, loads of smoked paprika with some onions, red, green and yellow peppers and carrots.
    Very, very nice.
    2hqur8z.jpg

Friday ate in the very fabulous Amuse on Dawson St. Had the 3 course menu (also have a 5 and 7 course menu). It's French-Asian, and despite apprehensions about pretensions, it was very, very, very good.
    Amuse bouche was black curry paste with butternut foam. It was superb. Starter was roast quail with medjool dates. Main was chicken with red cabbage and fermented red cabbage juice (photo-ed) and dessert was a beautifully light pistachio cake.
    I'll be back! Would recommend reservations, as while we were there, every few minutes people came in and were turned away, and the waiter said they were fully booked up for days!
    2lm3u48.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Mostly this week has been veg with noodles or rice.

Today is a pizza pocket abd salad :o

Im living like a student til i get my pay sorted :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Roast chicken dinner with tons of veg - roasted cubes of parsnip, celeriac and carrot with shallots, garlic cloves and a few sneaky chopped sausages. Steamed spuds with butter on the side. Already looking forward to my Monday leftovers dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sriracha Baked Chicken wings with spring onions and sesame seeds and a glass vino.

Just in case the storm comes have to make sure I'm fed and watered.

33crntk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Slow roast lamb that was in the oven for 5 hours+. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/incredible-roasted-shoulder-of-lamb-with-smashed-veg-and-greens

A megamix of vegetables that was enjoyed by everyone, even the kids managed to eat without whinging. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/roast-vegetable-megamix

And some roast spuds of course.

BFDE6387-01EC-46C3-84E7-09DCBACFC316_zpssgnzrugv.jpg

A stunning meal, with great company that makes one appreciate the true joy of cooking! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Looks burnt (is burnt, technically) but this was an awesome 2-cheese-dijon-and-ham pan fried toastie with a bowl of Cully & Sully Tomato & Basil. It is a DIRTY day out there, soup, melted cheese, ham and bread fried in more butter than is good for me was a good antidote.

1B7394E7-C69B-41D2-A38E-D93DDA61296C_zpsl5uq00mn.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Looks burnt (is burnt, technically) but this was an awesome 2-cheese-dijon-and-ham pan fried toastie with a bowl of Cully & Sully Tomato & Basil. It is a DIRTY day out there, soup, melted cheese, ham and bread fried in more butter than is good for me was a good antidote.

It's nicely caramelised :)

My mother used to make those fried sandwiches, I love them.

It's nicely caramelised :)

My mother used to make those fried sandwiches, I love them.

I wouldn't normally do this for myself but happily someone else was doing the cooking this weekend! It was a revelation how nice it was, more fried sandwiches in my near future I think

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Got me a slow cooker at long last. I was going to make some pulled pork, but that was going to take so long, so instead:

My first batch of slow cooker chilli. Nom (though way too liquid).

P0WBloX.jpg

VGTRHlx.jpg

YsjrHY2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Some chili tomato garlic pasta with cured reindeer sausage type thing :D

Very tasty !

pasta.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I wouldn't normally do this for myself but happily someone else was doing the cooking this weekend! It was a revelation how nice it was, more fried sandwiches in my near future I think

How have I never been told of this concept?! :eek: How do you do it? Do you grill it first and then fry it, or just make up the sandwich and slap it on the frying pan? I need to try this!!!

I was only observing from a distance but it looked like sandwich made, biiiig slice of butter in hot pan, lid on for a couple of minutes so the cheese melts, flip the sandwich and toast/fry the other side. It wasn't hugely dissimilar to when my mam used to make us toasted sandwich machine toasties back in the day and butter the bread before putting it in :)

Ah, happy sandwich memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

How have I never been told of this concept?! :eek: How do you do it? Do you grill it first and then fry it, or just make up the sandwich and slap it on the frying pan? I need to try this!!!

It's how the Americans make their grilled cheese sandwiches. There's instructions all over the web.
    1. Obtain a frying pan of correct size for the number of sandwiches you can handle at a time.

2. Put pan on the hob over medium heat until hot. During heating, begin preparing the fillings and getting bread. It's a good idea to put a drop of water in the pan while it is warming up, when the water boils the pan is warm enough to put your first sandwich on. Just make sure you pour the remaining water out before you put a sandwich in.

3. Butter the pan, or the outside of each slice of bread, whichever you prefer, and put one side of sandwich on pan with the fillings on top. Then add the top slice right away. Lower the heat and cover to help the cheese melt if necessary.

4. Check to see if bread is brown after no more than a minute and a half, although more time may be needed for desired results. When bread is brown enough, flip. Dispose of the left over butter grounds out of the pan, so the next flip will be fresh. The second side will brown faster than the first.

5. When you reach the desired result, remove your sandwich from the pan and server.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was only observing from a distance but it looked like sandwich made, biiiig slice of butter in hot pan, lid on for a couple of minutes so the cheese melts, flip the sandwich and toast/fry the other side. It wasn't hugely dissimilar to when my mam used to make us toasted sandwich machine toasties back in the day and butter the bread before putting it in :)

Ah, happy sandwich memories.

That's the way we always do toasted sandwiches if we're putting them in the George Foreman - the buttered sides are touching the hot grill - so yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lasagne soup. Looks a mess, tastes divine.

photo5_zps64d7e218.jpg

Well I have completely over committed myself for the next 3 months so I forsee a lot of this in my future - ie meals that make your microwave sing the sweet song of its people to summon you to the kitchen. M&S chicken soup with barley and stuff, toast and a glass of wine from a small, plastic bottle. Because I exude class from all of my pores.

AF2A73EB-F9D0-4326-8BC4-1A50F8C4A8B8_zpsursydblb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Duuuuuuuuck:D
    Seared in the pan (not enough :() and added some chilli plum chutney to the pan before flipping so it didn't sear all over. Odd but came out surprisingly tender and flavourful. Definitely worked well with the tart/spicy sauce.

There were leftover veg and pepper sauced potato from yesterday so cheated and reheated.
    nRQFCoGl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

That looks delicious, Kovu!

I had bacon and cabbage with mashed potatoes. :pac: I'll never understand anyone who throws their potatoes in the pot with the bacon and cabbage, it masks the lovely potato flavour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night I made stuffed pork steak with mash and wilted spinach. The mash were really good!

Either tonight or (more than likely) tomorrow night I will be making my Cooking Club contribution for dinner!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Last night I made Morrocan Lamb Chilli and my wife made lovely couscous with apricots to go with it

42fMpXll.jpg

Tasted much nicer than the photo looks :)
    Basically:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2895664/chilli-marrakech

...Substituted Chipotle paste for the Harissa paste and also threw in some dried Chipotles.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2837667/golden-couscous-with-apricots-and-crispy-onions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Loire wrote: »
    Last night I made stuffed pork steak with mash and wilted spinach.

Very similar dinner for us last night, stuffed pork steak, wilted spinach, peas, couscous and onion gravy. Lovely stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

kylith wrote: »

Oh, recipe please please please! Its cold and I just want to crawl into that bowl! :p Well maybe eating it would be better! Either way, I demand the recipe! :o

:DPlease:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

kylith wrote: »

Oh, recipe please please please! Its cold and I just want to crawl into that bowl! :p Well maybe eating it would be better! Either way, I demand the recipe! :o

:DPlease:D

Well, since you asked nicely :D

Brown 500g mince. Add 3 crushed cloves of garlic and cook for a minute.

Add:
    1 can peeled plum tomatoes (crushed)
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    500ml beef stock
    500ml vegetable stock
    2tsp dried basil
    half teaspoon dried oregano
    half teaspoon dried thyme
    half teaspoon dried rosemary
    salt
    pepper
    good splash of soy sauce.

Bring briefly to the boil and simmer at least 20mins.

Cook 200g farfalle (or broken lasagna sheets, or other dried pasta) separately.

About 10 minutes before the end add whatever veg you like to the soup (I used 8 ears baby corn, chopped, and two finely chopped carrots. Would probably be lovely with courgette).

Mix cooked pasta with soup, adding some pasta water if necessary.

Add 200g cottage cheese, a good fistful grated mozzarella, and 50g grated parmesan.

Give it a good stir, check your seasoning, and serve.

Made enough for a dinner and 5 lunches for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Grilled lamb chops marinated in lime and rosemary, steamed baby potatoes and broccoli.

IMG_20141007_190407_zpswkq0q8pd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lamb Canellonni.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lambcannelloni_93726

Save yourself a lot of grief and just buy pre-made cannelloni pasta. Very tasty though. :)

6D16E32A-0929-45A2-89DF-C08B58D2C9F4_zps1uidyi6v.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Fish tagine.

The flavour and the veg/sauce was lovely but the fish itself let this down, I used Panga fillets, I think I'll spend a bit more next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I had a truly crappy day yesterday but the can of M&S chicken noodle soup I had for dinner was a lovely comforty antidote. The noodles are a bit mushy but meh. I enjoyed the bejesus out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

Fish tagine.

The flavour and the veg/sauce was lovely but the fish itself let this down, I used Panga fillets, I think I'll spend a bit more next time.

I thought nothing could be as bad as basa - I put one of my attempts into the cooking disasters thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86557168&postcount=3, so I did a little googling. Seems that basa snd panga are the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Fish day here, but when I checked, the only fish was a can of tuna. So, out with the Annabelle Carmel(sp) book. Half an onion, 2 garlic, fry till soft. Then add can of tuna, can of chopped tomatoes, some Worcestershire sauce and some fresh basil. Meanwhile , bring pasta to the boil, when drained add to tuna mix. Stir around, pour into dish. Sprinkle cheese on top and grill just to melt cheese. Didn't taste too bad at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement