Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Standalone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

held off playing for a bit due to other commitments, gave it a good go tonight though.

first play through went well, got some excellent loot, worked out a lot of the inventory quirks (taking bullets out of a packet before loading them into a rifle...clever.) and was feeling confident until I bugged out on a ladder and died :(

second play through not so well with the loot, was finding good stuff, but no bag to carry any of it so I was noting it all as I worked through electro trying to find a bag so I can backtrack for it all.

Then I get jumped by two players, I had only an axe, they had rifles. I surrendered, got handcuffed and they used me as a blood bank to fill a few blood bags before chasing me out of electro. Now I'm somewhere north of electro with most of my good stuff gone, low on blood and thirsty.

damnit.

but bloody cool at the same time. I like the new mechanics and I could see a sort of farming of newbie beach to collect blood packs forming among bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    held off playing for a bit due to other commitments, gave it a good go tonight though.

first play through went well, got some excellent loot, worked out a lot of the inventory quirks (taking bullets out of a packet before loading them into a rifle...clever.) and was feeling confident until I bugged out on a ladder and died :(

second play through not so well with the loot, was finding good stuff, but no bag to carry any of it so I was noting it all as I worked through electro trying to find a bag so I can backtrack for it all.

Then I get jumped by two players, I had only an axe, they had rifles. I surrendered, got handcuffed and they used me as a blood bank to fill a few blood bags before chasing me out of electro. Now I'm somewhere north of electro with most of my good stuff gone, low on blood and thirsty.

damnit.

but bloody cool at the same time. I like the new mechanics and I could see a sort of farming of newbie beach to collect blood packs forming among bandits.

Lol, At least they let you go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Don't think any other game can bring you to desperation to find a can opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

are there many zombies in the game yet? I would love if it were actually quite difficult to clear an area of zombies. It seemed to be much too easy in the Mod imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Timmyctc wrote: »
    are there many zombies in the game yet? I would love if it were actually quite difficult to clear an area of zombies. It seemed to be much too easy in the Mod imo.

Still the same, though I remember there were some scripted servers to 10x the amount of zombies, making walks through town impossible alone/unarmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Still the same, though I remember there were some scripted servers to 10x the amount of zombies, making walks through town impossible alone/unarmed.

I want that <3 I havent played the standalone yet mind you but I'd love if the zoms proved as much/a bigger threat than bandits. Like being overrun by zombies while youre having a standoff with another player

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hey guys, i havent had a lot of time to play yet or follow whats going on since the steam release but anytime i did i just run from building to building that are already looted within 20 minutes of server restart which is every 4 hours.
    If you happen to log in late in this 4 hour window you might as well be playing run simulator 2013.
    Any official word on why the zeds are not ingame yet?
    The lack of zeds is contributing dramatically to the hoovering up of loot within 20 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dcully wrote: »
    Hey guys, i havent had a lot of time to play yet or follow whats going on since the steam release but anytime i did i just run from building to building that are already looted within 20 minutes of server restart which is every 4 hours.
    If you happen to log in late in this 4 hour window you might as well be playing run simulator 2013.
    Any official word on why the zeds are not ingame yet?
    The lack of zeds is contributing dramatically to the hoovering up of loot within 20 mins.

My first experience of it last night was running building to building and finding no loot bar a bottle of water. I found two zeds who chased me and then clipped through the building. So far I don't see what the enjoyment is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Tip lads, don't bother with cherno, elektro or balota. The best spawn is around solnichniy. Head up to berezino & then inland

Here we go lads! Happy Christmas! Enjoy!

Would really appreciate your awesome help on reddit with this one! :)

http://redd.it/1tj09e

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Here we go lads! Happy Christmas! Enjoy!

Would really appreciate your awesome help on reddit with this one! :)

http://redd.it/1tj09e

Cheers!

"I hope you get all the shi-!"
    wat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

My first experience of it last night was running building to building and finding no loot bar a bottle of water. I found two zeds who chased me and then clipped through the building. So far I don't see what the enjoyment is

Special invisable zombie's guarding water pumps. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Don't think any other game can bring you to desperation to find a can opener.

Any sharp object can open cans it seems (axe, knife etc)

Screwdriver too.
    But you spill like 25- 40% of the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So....worth it yet for someone who's never played Day Z or should I wait until it's a bit more stable?

So....worth it yet for someone who's never played Day Z or should I wait until it's a bit more stable?

It's not that it's unstable. It's fairly similar to the mod. It's content that's missing now.

For me, yeah it's worth it. There's much more interaction with players now, and you can have a good laugh.

Yes it's completely worth it! Watch some videos or streams & decide if its the type of game for you first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I dunno if it is worth it.

I mean it's just an endless cycle, gear up, get killed and start over. Needs way more content.

Holsten wrote: »

I mean it's just an endless cycle, gear up, get killed and start over. Needs way more content.

Sounds like you play alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Not yet and probably won't be worth it for +6 months

I don't think the price will drop before full release so buy it when you have the money.

The current state of the game is a very slow paced build up to deathmatch.

The infected are a joke and I don't see them ever being able to make the infected a threat.

• Advertisement

You can make anything sound boring with that logic.
    Like eating delicious ice cream.

It's just an endless cycle, dig food, put in mouth, swallow and start over.

The fun in DayZ is the tension, the fear. The Dread! Seeing another player, did they see me? Can I get around them? Can I kill them before they kill me?! DID HE SEE ME!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Worth it if you team up or pretend to team up and stab them in the back.

Lonesome players will suffer many deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sure add my steam tag terrific_tugboat and you'll find me in under the friends tab in DayZ. It's better craic with a few people to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

d0gb0y wrote: »
    Not yet and probably won't be worth it for +6 months

I don't think the price will drop before full release so buy it when you have the money.

The current state of the game is a very slow paced build up to deathmatch.

The infected are a joke and I don't see them ever being able to make the infected a threat.

Brilliant way to put it, a slow paced build up to a death match.

It needs more substance. I do play the game alone so it's probably better in a group but it's still the same, get gear then go kill people, there is nothing else to do at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

The fun in DayZ is the tension, the fear. The Dread! Seeing another player, did they see me? Can I get around them? Can I kill them before they kill me?! DID HE SEE ME!?!?

Summed up perfectly GC! The game is nothing like any other game you have played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I had a guy with a rifle literally walk over me while I was shítting a brick hoping he wouldn't see me, that was fúcking tense, dude had a rifle so I stayed quite and took no chances.

Class game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Had a character survive 3 days while lonewolfing it, logged in today and character was reset..aghhhhhh.
    Loving it so far.Have had a few weird encounters with people, but mostly just guys that are nervous you're going to attack them. I had 2 separate opportunities to ruthlessly murder people tonight and passed on it,game is cruel enough with out adding to it.It's too Easy or fun to be a prick in it, but I'm finding it a better challenge to try and be a nice guy and help out whee I can.Saying that, it did take a lot of restraint not to bash an unarmed guys head in to steal his bag of goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I completely agree.

I loaded it up, started off at nightime on a server....for a player who hasn't played it before there is a bit of a learning curve. Anyways, after 20mins running around in the middle of nowhere at night..not seeing anyone etc...I joined a diff server

Spawned in a town during the day, seen a village, ran to said village...scouted lots of the houses...nothing inside. Doors seem awkward to open....items are annoying to pick up....it has to be so specific.
    Anyways, same deal, lack of zombies, lack of items, lack of players, lack of story...
    Messages for
    "I can feel a warm liquid on my shirt" "I'm bleeding" "I'm thirsty" "I need a drink" constantly popping up on the screen.
    Oh, and when you get hit...the blood squirting out is ridiculous looking....and is that meant to be cold air ?...the white/grey stuff spraying out ?

I don't see what the end goal is besides Holstens point...Gear up, kill/be killed / start over.

What benefit is having a character who is 3 days old to you as opposed to a fresh character ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I completely agree.

I loaded it up, started off at nightime on a server....for a player who hasn't played it before there is a bit of a learning curve. Anyways, after 20mins running around in the middle of nowhere at night..not seeing anyone etc...I joined a diff server

Spawned in a town during the day, seen a village, ran to said village...scouted lots of the houses...nothing inside. Doors seem awkward to open....items are annoying to pick up....it has to be so specific.
    Anyways, same deal, lack of zombies, lack of items, lack of players, lack of story...
    Messages for
    "I can feel a warm liquid on my shirt" "I'm bleeding" "I'm thirsty" "I need a drink" constantly popping up on the screen.
    Oh, and when you get hit...the blood squirting out is ridiculous looking....and is that meant to be cold air ?...the white/grey stuff spraying out ?

I don't see what the end goal is besides Holstens point...Gear up, kill/be killed / start over.

What benefit is having a character who is 3 days old to you as opposed to a fresh character ?

As numerous people have said, you need to team up..my advice..join the gaellords ts server. Hop into a channel and introduce yourself and see where the lads are playing. As ultra retarded as Ktulu is, he's pretty sound and so are the rest of the lads. Better survival in a pack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

ElChe32 wrote: »
    As numerous people have said, you need to team up..my advice..join the gaellords ts server. Hop into a channel and introduce yourself and see where the lads are playing. As ultra retarded as Ktulu is, he's pretty sound and so are the rest of the lads. Better survival in a pack!

I know Ktulu and a lot of the other from playing BF3 with them.

However, I'm over in Korea...so there are slight ping and time difference issues :p

Advertisement