Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lola7301

Yes Lola7301, it's confirmation of your penalty points.

I wonder will they allow you to have a few penalty points or is it zero tolerance. Does anyone know??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bumpynut

I attended the open day for women drivers, I really enjoyed the experience; meeting the staff and being shown behind-the-scenes in the Phibsboro Depot.

I obtained my D Learner Licence and CPC Bus Case Study and have just had notice this morning from Dublin Bus to attend a written assessment on 26th May.

If anyone can give me any advice or help in preparing for this assessment? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

It's very straight forward .some calculations of fairs & fill out an accident report of at least 200 words .then some scenarios what would you do in certain situations 1to 4 1 being most likely 4 being least .just be safety conscious and passanger safety ..it's handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lucky79

hello, is there anybody here who did written assesment on 4th of march? i was told that if i will not recieve a letter in 2 weeks time that im through and to expect a letter end of april with date for interviewand driving test. i'm still waiting and no replay, starting to be little bit worry. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bumpynut

lucky79 wrote: »
    hello, is there anybody here who did written assesment on 4th of march? i was told that if i will not recieve a letter in 2 weeks time that im through and to expect a letter end of april with date for interviewand driving test. i'm still waiting and no replay, starting to be little bit worry. thank you

It's a waiting game

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lucky79

bumpynut wrote: »
    It's a waiting game

thank you it looks to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lola7301 wrote: »
    I wonder will they allow you to have a few penalty points or is it zero tolerance. Does anyone know??

They are more interested in points that would be 4 or more or for endorsement such as drink driving and dangerous driving etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭jiayf

lucky79 wrote: »

I did written assesment on 1th of march, still waiting……

They are more interested in points that would be 4 or more or for endorsement such as drink driving and dangerous driving etc...

Thanks. I have 3 penalty points for doing 83 in an 80 km zone. It would be awful if those 3 points cost me the job. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. I have 3 penalty points for doing 83 in an 80 km zone. It would be awful if those 3 points cost me the job. Fingers crossed.

83? And you didn't contest that I would have gone to court.

I had 2 when I joined and was honest about it.

They won't hammer you for that as I said above it's other penalties they are more interested in.

Wolf219 wrote: »
    First week is 2 days in classroom and 3 days out on the road. The second week is 3 days in classroom and 2 days on the road. They will take you out in all the type buses they operate.

So how are you finding your first few weeks of bus driving? Is it what you imagined? What is your overall impression? Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

It's all good. A lot of information to take in when your training. The only tips I would give, is to stay calm, assess situations and to drive slowly especially at junctions and when turning, watch out for people and take extra care with cyclists, give them plenty of room and take care when pulling in at bus stops. Use your mirrors all the time. Take your time, think safety. The staff at training school are very nice and good at their jobs. You will learn a lot off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 affected mostly

It's all good. A lot of information to take in when your training. The only tips I would give, is to stay calm, assess situations and to drive slowly especially at junctions and when turning, watch out for people and take extra care with cyclists, give them plenty of room and take care when pulling in at bus stops. Use your mirrors all the time. Take your time, think safety. The staff at training school are very nice and good at their jobs. You will learn a lot off them.

What way is your shift working, are you late late all the time, I mean are you the very last duty every day or do they throw you a relief every now and then?

Good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

What way is your shift working, are you late late all the time, I mean are you the very last duty every day or do they throw you a relief every now and then?

Good advice

New drivers are contracted to work lates starting from 3pm onwards.

Mirrors are your best friends while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dawid niedzwiadek

Hi. New here.
    I got invited to sit written assesment on 27.05.
    Honestly I'm very nervous about it coz don't know what to expect. Any advice will be much appreciated. Especially how to write accident raport. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭btmp75

Hi. New here.
    I got invited to sit written assesment on 27.05.
    Honestly I'm very nervous about it coz don't know what to expect. Any advice will be much appreciated. Especially how to write accident raport. Thanks.

There are 3 types of questions. 1. Fare calculation. they will give you fares for each stages. adults, children etc. So you have to calculate fares. For eg: 2 adults and 3 children from stage one to stage 7, or 3 kids from stage 3 to stage 8 etc.

2. Incident report. It must have some key points like where , when and what.

A. Which bus ? Route No & bus number, from where to where
    B. What was the driving conditions- dry, bright, rainy, foggy, windy..etc.
    C. Road condition - dry, clear, wet, oily, slippery, busy, calm, jammed....
    D. Passenger numbers and conditions...bus full. half full. 10 /20/ ... and were they calm, noisy....
    E. Where the incident happened and how did you notice it?..which part of the road or what street, near landmark, approaching a bus stop - stop number... you heard a sound, saw a light etc...
    F. check the passenger conditions...are they safe, anyone fall, any injury, how serious it seems, breathing,...etc.
    G. What did you do next...contact control center, emergency people, gardai...
    H. Explain things to them.....
    I. Any damage to bus and how much time you lost?

3. Multiple choice questions. I think there are 8 questions and 45 minutes ( or 30 ? I am not sure ). You will get situations like cpc test; and 4/5 answers. You have to Sort best suitable answer to least one. So the best answer will get No. 1 and least suitable answer get No. 4

This is all the written assesment. thats all I can remember. Best wishes with the test.

I did my medical start of February and didn't start till last week. Be prepared for a long wait. Things like Garda vetting can really hold you up.

When did you get the medical report? Is that too a waiting game? What did they check?

New drivers get late shifts. What time they start ? Is it same every day in a week or different starting time each day? For eg: Start 3.00 pm - end 1.00 am today. Start 11.00 am and end 9.00 pm tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Vtwin duke

btmp75 wrote: »
    There are 3 types of questions. 1. Fare calculation. they will give you fares for each stages. adults, children etc. So you have to calculate fares. For eg: 2 adults and 3 children from stage one to stage 7, or 3 kids from stage 3 to stage 8 etc.

2. Incident report. It must have some key points like where , when and what.

A. Which bus ? Route No & bus number, from where to where
    B. What was the driving conditions- dry, bright, rainy, foggy, windy..etc.
    C. Road condition - dry, clear, wet, oily, slippery, busy, calm, jammed....
    D. Passenger numbers and conditions...bus full. half full. 10 /20/ ... and were they calm, noisy....
    E. Where the incident happened and how did you notice it?..which part of the road or what street, near landmark, approaching a bus stop - stop number... you heard a sound, saw a light etc...
    F. check the passenger conditions...are they safe, anyone fall, any injury, how serious it seems, breathing,...etc.
    G. What did you do next...contact control center, emergency people, gardai...
    H. Explain things to them.....
    I. Any damage to bus and how much time you lost?

3. Multiple choice questions. I think there are 8 questions and 45 minutes ( or 30 ? I am not sure ). You will get situations like cpc test; and 4/5 answers. You have to Sort best suitable answer to least one. So the best answer will get No. 1 and least suitable answer get No. 4

This is all the written assesment. thats all I can remember. Best wishes with the test.

Nice one...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dawid niedzwiadek

Btmp75 thanks. It will definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

When did you get the medical report? Is that too a waiting game? What did they check?

New drivers get late shifts. What time they start ? Is it same every day in a week or different starting time each day? For eg: Start 3.00 pm - end 1.00 am today. Start 11.00 am and end 9.00 pm tomorrow?

Hi,
    New Drivers get 4 lates per week thur -sun or fri to mon depending on depot.
    donnybrook is thur - sun
    duties start from 3pm till midnight or 12.30 approx.
    I was on the lates for 4 weeks then I was put on the rotating shift 10 week rosta.
    different duties start at different times so you will not be starting at the same time everyday:)

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    donnybrook is thur - sun
    I was on the lates for 4 weeks then I was put on the rotating shift 10 week rosta.
    different duties start at different times so you will not be starting at the same time everyday:)

Hi. Thanks a mil. Could I ask more....Rotating shift starts at what time usually. How long before we can know that ?

• Advertisement

Hi. Thanks a mil. Could I ask more....Rotating shift starts at what time usually. How long before we can know that ?

That's something only the god's know....

Having any stability is also looking bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    donnybrook is thur - sun

Do you get your roster 10 weeks in advance? Or do they spring it on you with a weeks notice. Sorry for all the questions.

Do you get your roster 10 weeks in advance? Or do they spring it on you with a weeks notice. Sorry for all the questions.

No not a chance.

You get to find out the day before at around 09.30 by text but could come through later then that. Or look at sheets posted up in garage later in morning.

If you were marked in you would then know around a year in advance.

Oh no. That wont fit around a childminder will it.

No not a chance.

You get to find out the day before at around 09.30 by text but could come through later then that. Or look at sheets posted up in garage later in morning.

If you were marked in you would then know around a year in advance.

It means you will know tomorrow's duty today by 9.30 or later. Isn't that I understood correct? Oh dear...how could they manage a company like this... Anyone here who use childminders to tell me how they manage..

But the last sentence ..'If you were marked in ' ..I haven't got a clue....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It means you will know tomorrow's duty today by 9.30 or later. Isn't that I understood correct? Oh dear...how could they manage a company like this... Anyone here who use childminders to tell me how they manage..

But the last sentence ..'If you were marked in ' ..I haven't got a clue....

You'd have to be in Dublin bus driving for about ten years or more to get marked in so forget that part.

You'd have to be in Dublin bus driving for about ten years or more to get marked in so forget that part.

Thank you . So that part is OFF..

Thank you . So that part is OFF..

Correct.

I was just pointing out the difference.

It's at 10 years but most are now having to wait even longer.

When you go onto normal rota it's shift and there are early middle and lates.

Early means nothing though as you could still finish 2130 bit after also late can start after 0700 am.

The whole system is terrible and no matter how long your at it it still makes no sense.

But you can opt to stay on the 4 night week for a while though is that right - it would be some stability. ? Or do u get a choice? If you are doing the 5 day shifts, is it a week of Earlys, week of lates, etc?

• Advertisement

But you can opt to stay on the 4 night week for a while though is that right - it would be some stability. ? Or do u get a choice? If you are doing the 5 day shifts, is it a week of Earlys, week of lates, etc?

I would be opting for weekends lates full time if I could.

How do they expect people to be that flexible.
    Especially when trying to get more women in the team. If one can't plan childminding, they cant go to work.

My current place gives me 1 week ahead in rotas and even that is hard to manage as both my partner and I are working parents.

Advertisement