Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Early week can mean late finishing and late week can even have early starts the whole idea and system is flawed but it suits management because they can throw you in anywhere they like at whatever the worst time they can.

Senior spare means nothing at all these days as I haven't noticed any change in duties I get now that I did 8-9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Senior spare means nothing at all these days as I haven't noticed any change in duties I get now that I did 8-9 years ago.

No but at least you have 2 weekends off in 5 when you are senior spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Senior spare used to mean the best of the spare duties more often than not and preferential treatment for OT when I was there. Obviously things change or maybe it was just a few favourites in my garage.

Its still a good job though and if anyone has an interest i'd say give it a shot with an open mind and see what they think. Everyone is different. I knew a lad who hated it, left, realised he made a big mistake and so he reapplied and got back in. Still there now I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Would it be possible for any of the current Dublin Bus Drivers to put a copy of the junior and senior rosters on this post to give the lads an idea of them.

LastStop wrote: »
    No but at least you have 2 weekends off in 5 when you are senior spare.

correct but I waited 7½ years for that to happen.

6 weeks use to be the junior rota but it was tweaked a few years ago to a 5 week with a late Sunday thrown in to take away Sunday rest days o/t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Current 10 week junior rota attached

Rest = Day off

E = Early duty , can start anywhere from 5am until 11am finishing anywhere up to 3-9pm at night depending. Can also get bogie duty which is starting roughly at 7am, have an approx 4 hour break and finishing at around 7pm.

M = middle duty. Can start from 11am until 1-2pm and finish around 7 - 9pm (expect and bogie duty here too if on weekday)

L = late duty, starting from 2pm up to 7pm finishing at 10pm - 1am . (People have being known to get bogie duties on lates too)

So have a look at the rota there, good luck going from a late day to a sham of a day off back to early . I.e. finishing after midnight, getting a day off only to be back in at 5am the following day.

Something else that I didn't see mentioned hear in a while. The company have been creating sideways moves for drivers. Revenue protection unit, driver trainers, mentors, tour bus guides. All these are part time and come up every now and then.

You can look at this as job diversity or an attempt to get drivers to do inspectors jobs without having to promote anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Something else that I didn't see mentioned hear in a while. The company have been creating sideways moves for drivers. Revenue protection unit, driver trainers, mentors, tour bus guides. All these are part time and come up every now and then.

You can look at this as job diversity or an attempt to get drivers to do inspectors jobs without having to promote anyone.

Of the above list of "Sideways" moves (All of which carry some form of additional payment) only the Revenue Protection positions can be said to be genuinely "New".

The remainder have always been in place,albeit with far less struture to them.

However,as part of a a continuing personal development process,they are attractive enough to attract hundreds of applicants when advertised.

If ye don't fancy any of the positions,then don't apply for them,which is about par for the course in any company ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Of the above list of "Sideways" moves (All of which carry some form of additional payment) only the Revenue Protection positions can be said to be genuinely "New".

€7.50 a day gross for mentors. Not sure about the rest. But I was just highlighting these in case some people think that you join your spare you eventually get marked in, you retire ( probably 2 weeks after you get marked in 😆)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    if ye don't fancy any of the positions,then don't apply for them,which is about par for the course in any company ?

Of course not, to each their own. Some will apply for everything possible, others just want to do the work, get home and get paid every Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Did any of the lads that went for the medical last week hear anything back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

OP, somewhat related but relevant for me. With this new recruitment drive, especially for weekend shifts, see the return of Nitelink services such as the 33N on any other days bar Friday/Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Elemonator wrote:
    OP, somewhat related but relevant for me. With this new recruitment drive, especially for weekend shifts, see the return of Nitelink services such as the 33N on any other days bar Friday/Saturday?

There are plans on the way to run a 24 hour service on selected routes. They will probably start with the busy routes first like 16, 25A, 39A, 46A.

If it's a success then I'm sure they will extend it to other routes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

How does one prevent getting lost?

I mean, as a spare, one is bound to put on constant unfamiliar routes

How does one prevent getting lost?

I mean, as a spare, one is bound to put on constant unfamiliar routes

One is trained on routes before they actually go out in service.

Another driver is used as a mentor and will bring a few out on the bus and show you routes and should also give you tips on which way to go when going special to start at certain points as going the route would be longer so you can take short cuts etc....

You will also be shown certain roads where we can't access as low trees or bridges and so on.

You wouldn't be the 1st or last of any of us to take a wrong turn or even mix up route you are on as it happens.

€7.50 a day gross for mentors. Not sure about the rest. But I was just highlighting these in case some people think that you join your spare you eventually get marked in, you retire ( probably 2 weeks after you get marked in 😆)

Of course not, to each their own. Some will apply for everything possible, others just want to do the work, get home and get paid every Thursday.

Some may apply for something they may be interested in,they will do that job,and they will also get paid on that same Thursday.

The good thing about the job,is that it supports any,and all of those types,and that,for some,is perhaps also worth highlighting ;) ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Elemonator wrote: »

The NTA is looking at bringing in 24 hour service.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 halimc220

Hello everyone,

I have an interview next wendsday and I'm confused about safety what might they want to know about it. as I know many people failed on interview.

Any idea guys?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eeeeno

How did you get on?

halimc220 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I have an interview next wendsday and I'm confused about safety what might they want to know about it. as I know many people failed on interview.

Any idea guys?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Hello everyone,

Any idea guys?

Thanks.

Did you have a interview or just the written assessment?

When I asked for help no one reply to my question. So I will not reply to your question.

• Advertisement

Eeeeno wrote: »
    How did you get on?

When I asked for help no one reply to my question. So I will not reply to your question.

Did you have a interview or just the written assessment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Haha, you'll pass the bus driver attitude test anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lard

Hi Guys,

I done the assessment part of process last week .The first part was adding up fares ie.what fare do you charge for two schoolchildren and one adult going 13 stages . It gave a list of fares per stages and cost per child/adult .It was fairly easy . The second part was to write a 200 word report on a incident that happened on your bus. The incident was that a woman approached you at the terminal and said that her "handbag was missing". The third part was tricky . There was eight scenarios and each scenario had four options on what you would do in each case . For instance
    (A) You are running behind on your Bus route due to traffic etc and central control have contacted you to find out why. A car has pulled in front of you in the bus lane and is driving slowly.Do you

(1) Beep your horn and hope he moves out of buslane
    (2) Drive closely behind him
    (3) call central control and get them to report car to garda
    (4) Do nothing and get on with it.

(B) You pull out from bus stop after checking mirrors but a motorcyclist who is driving very fast has to swerve to avoid you. the motorcyclist then pulls his bike in front of the bus and starts knocking on the door to get on bus

Hi Guys,

I done the assessment part of process last week .The first part was adding up fares ie.what fare do you charge for two schoolchildren and one adult going 13 stages . It gave a list of fares per stages and cost per child/adult .It was fairly easy . The second part was to write a 200 word report on a incident that happened on your bus. The incident was that a woman approached you at the terminal and said that her "handbag was missing". The third part was tricky . There was eight scenarios and each scenario had four options on what you would do in each case . For instance
    (A) You are running behind on your Bus route due to traffic etc and central control have contacted you to find out why. A car has pulled in front of you in the bus lane and is driving slowly.Do you

(3) Call central control and get them to report car to garda

(B) You pull out from bus stop after checking mirrors but a motorcyclist who is driving very fast has to swerve to avoid you. The motorcyclist then pulls his bike in front of the bus and starts knocking on the door to get on bus .Do you

(1) Reverse bus and drive around him
    (2)Open door and apologise to him
    (3) Ignore him and hope he goes away

Cant think of the fourth option but you get the idea .

Hi Guys,

(B) You pull out from bus stop after checking mirrors but a motorcyclist who is driving very fast has to swerve to avoid you. The motorcyclist then pulls his bike in front of the bus and starts knocking on the door to get on bus .Do you

Cant think of the fourth option but you get the idea . At end of assessment they said you would hear in two weeks if you were unsuccessful or about four if you made it to the next stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eeeeno

Thanks for that info....

Can I ask how long it took you from submitting application to getting assessment appointment?
    Thanks

Lard wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Cant think of the fourth option but you get the idea . At end of assessment they said you would hear in two weeks if you were unsuccessful or about four if you made it to the next stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

(5) tell central to f/uck off you'll be there when your there and stop annoying me.

(4) open cab window, call him a prick and drive off.

But dont worry, you learn these things when you drive for dublin bus after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Eeeeno wrote: »
    Thanks for that info....

Can I ask how long it took you from submitting application to getting assessment appointment?
    Thanks

For me it took roughly a month and half. I applied early January and I sat my written assessment last week. Fingers crossed now I won't hear from them in the next 2 weeks and I'll get the driving assessment and interview at the end of April.

• Advertisement

(5) tell central to f/uck off you'll be there when your there and stop annoying me.

(4) open cab window, call him a prick and drive off.

But dont worry, you learn these things when you drive for Dublin Bus after a few weeks.

If ye can't help them,then at least try not to hinder 'em... yea....?

Tellus,Kopperberg S&L .....would the applicants learn any of the things you mention,driving for any other Bus company in Dublin,or are all the others,havens of tranquility,positivity and good karma ?

Advertisement