Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Wolf219 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why the new drivers are not lasting?

I'm my personal opinion as a new driver

It's not a great job. The pay is not great when there are senior drivers on much higher wages and better benefits for the same job

The abuse from passengers.
    The abuse from staff
    having to put up with anti social behaviour / smoking / drugs etc.
    Traffic in Dublin
    The amount of near accidents and accidents are too high
    Bad management
    The bad working hours (shift pay isint worth it)
    Going home finishing work at 1am on a saturday night Sunday morning having to be back in at 6am or earlier on a Monday morning

These are just some of the reasons I'm leaving personally anyway.

It's really not the job people make it out to be

I know lads that have come from private operators and have gone back very quickly because private work is better and the pay is very very similar with better working hours.

But hey join if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bruno1x wrote: »
    Do tell,what is the real number then? 60%

The actual number of new-entrants who have left (for a variety of reasons) is in single precentage figures.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭bruno1x

I'm my personal opinion as a new driver

It's not a great job. The pay is not great when there are senior drivers on much higher wages and better benefits for the same job

The abuse from passengers.
    The abuse from staff
    having to put up with anti social behaviour / smoking / drugs etc.
    Traffic in Dublin
    The amount of near accidents and accidents are too high
    Bad management
    The bad working hours (shift pay isint worth it)
    Going home finishing work at 1am on a saturday night Sunday morning having to be back in at 6am or earlier on a Monday morning

These are just some of the reasons I'm leaving personally anyway.

I know lads that have come from private operators and have gone back very quickly because private work is better and the pay is very very similar with better working hours.

But hey join if you wish.

What abuse from staff are you getting? Im in the job years and have not heard of this kind of thing, what depot are you in, might just be in that location.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The actual number of new-entrants who have left (for a variety of reasons) is in single precentage figures.

Not what i'v been told.

What abuse from staff are you getting? Im in the job years and have not heard of this kind of thing, what depot are you in, might just be in that location.

It's general abuse you get from other drivers for stupid things like poling and them giving you crap because your bus breaks down and so on.

But i also agree. .. i don't believe for a second that the percentage of people who have left is in the single figure.

• Advertisement

Not what i'v been told.

Again Bruno1x,all I can tell you is that a very small number,nowhere near 70% of the 176 new entrants left the job.

Suggesting that c.119 of those new entrants have now left, should cause a little pause for thought I feel ?

The figure,up to last October was 7 individuals,and I'm unaware of any last minute surge since then.

Given the size of the Company,the normal ongoing process of natural wastage,ie: Retirements,Deaths In Service,Resignations is always ongoing with peaks and troughs to be found.

From memory,I thing an average of c 40 staff per anum retire in the normal fashion,with the new regulations on retirement now skewing those somewhat until the process embeds itself.

As with any job,I would strongly suggest to any young person that IF they are not enjoying their job,then don't hang around,but move to something more appealing.

Life is Waaay too short to spend much of it grinding ones teeth,and bemoaning the awfullness of it all.

Busdriving,be it with Dublin Bus or not,is'nt for everybody,as it demands a very broad skill-set,not always obvious to drivers of different backgrounds.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

It's general abuse you get from other drivers for stupid things like poling and them giving you crap because your bus breaks down and so on.

But i also agree. .. i don't believe for a second that the percentage of people who have left is in the single figure.

Here is a pro tip from a seasoned driver, grow thicker skin. Most if not all of your problems would be solved by this simple act.

Here is a pro tip from a seasoned driver, grow thicker skin. Most if not all of your problems would be solved by this simple act.

I agree. And i do . I've told other drivers to go and so and so. They don't get to me but it's rediculious that when they have to do a bit of work they go mental etc.

In other words I'm not sticking around this company to work with children who cannot behave.

But i also agree. .. I don't believe for a second that the percentage of people who have left is in the single figure.

I don't have the specific figures for 2015,but the trend can be found in the Companys Annual Reports...

From the 2014 AR....

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/2430/CIE-Bus%20tha%20Cliath-AR14.pdf

Page 34.
    The average number of employees during the year was (2014) 3,176 (2013) 3,172.

One other aspect worth bearing in mind is the historically high level of mobility within the Public Transport industry worldwide.

Combining Shift work and "Dealing with the Public" can almost be guaranteed to result in high levels of job dissatisfaction.

PS: I note from the BAC Website that our current (2015) Staff Level is c.3,400.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/About-Us/

I agree. And i do . I've told other drivers to go and so and so. They don't get to me but it's rediculious that when they have to do a bit of work they go mental etc.

In other words I'm not sticking around this company to work with children who cannot behave.

This is exactly what any young person,in your position should do.

You gave it your best-shot,found it not to your liking and then had to make a call.

Fair play to you for being decisive in this,as it will probably allow you to move swiftly on and find your particular niche in a different environment.

In an earlier post KPL,you outlined the various reasons for reaching your decision,and all of them are valid to inform your decision.

However you also wrote....

I have to say that,in 51 pages of this thread,it's difficult to find people making the job out to be something it is not.

Busdriving,of itself,can be a difficult,challenging and often unrewarding choice of career,this is a reality which every new entrant needs to consider,when deciding whether or not to apply.

However,as with Life itself,it's how the Individual deals with these elements,and applies the situation to themselves which dictates their progress.

Good Luck with your future KSL :)

• Advertisement

The drivers who get stressed out are the ones who try to do the job by the rules, i.e. confront anti social behaviour, make passengers pay correct fare and so on.
    These driver who are only doing the job as they are supposed to do are the same ones who are up to see the manager week in week out, they have only done the job as they are supposed to do but get only stress and no support from the management.
    If they relax and just drive the bus and not get involved in disputes they will find the job is fine, in fact you will be know as a "good worker, never causes any problems".
    Just keep the head down and drive the bus, others are hired to check tickets/ travel passes, don't get involved in confrontation with passengers and the job is a doddle.
    I admit it can be somewhat hard and frustrating at the start to see passengers take the piss and behave badly, it will take some time for you to adapt to turning a blind eye, but i assure you any stress and problems you have will disappear. I have been driving for years and can honestly say i have zero stress since i adopted this attitude, remember at the end of the day you are just a number, so relax and look out for number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hamzaaziz

Hi guys,
    Anybody can help me what type of written assessment these days. What is aptitude test?
    Many thanks

hamzaaziz wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Anybody can help me what type of written assessment these days. What is aptitude test?
    Many thanks

if you can read and write to the level of a 12 year old you will be fine. As long as you are not aggressive or a stressed out nervous type you will be fine.

if you can read and write to the level of a 12 year old you will be fine. As long as you are not aggressive or a stressed out nervous type you will be fine.

Many thanks. But what is aptitudes questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Many thanks. But what is aptitudes questions?

colour, numbers, spacial awareness etc.

Its tests from yonks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Hi guys,
    Many thanks

I did one in November, it's all written, one part is about calculating fares on different stages, part two was to complete a written report on what you would do if you received a complaint from a customer about another customer smoking upstairs on the bus. And part three was multiple choice questions. You just mark them 1 to 5 in the order you would thing was the best way you would respond or act to the situation.

to anyone thinking of going for the job make yourself aware of the bye-laws which are on the website.

Thanks.

to anyone thinking of going for the job make yourself aware of the bye-laws which are on the website.

Thanks .do you how long it will take all procedure after written assessment. Did they call for you interview or driving assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

Thanks.
    Do you know how long it will take all procedure after assessment. or did they call for you interview?

I went in early November for assessment, they said they won't be getting back to me till the end of January at the earliest. The next stage after that is a driving assessment. Make sure the documentation they request on the letter they send you, that you bring it with you as when I was doing the assessment, 6 people were sent home as they hadn't have the correct documentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 halimc220

Takes about a month or more, then you will receive letter form driving & interview.

Takes about a month or more, then you will receive a letter for driving & interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Was thinking of doing my d theory to get a job as a bus driver. Im a delivery driver with a C1 at the moment.

Would be greatful if I could get a few questions answered.

Have I missed the boat on this, is there still plenty of places open?

How long does it take to get the d theory and case study?

I have difficulty with mental arithmetic so I am a bit fearful of the fare calculating bit. Can one bring a calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Was thinking of doing my d theory to get a job as a bus driver. Im a delivery driver with a C1 at the moment.

Would be greatful if I could get a few questions answered.

Have I missed the boat on this, is there still plenty of places open?

How long does it take to get the d theory and case study?

I have difficulty with mental arithmetic so I am a bit fearful of the fare calculating bit. Can one bring a calculator?

Hi There,

1,You Have Not missed The boat on this,D,B Will be looking for Drivers for the rest of the year I heard.
    2,Not sure how long it takes a month to 6 weeks id guess.
    3,The Fare Calculating bit Is Very Easy,just a few simple questions & No you will Not be Aloud have a calculator/phone with you during the Exam:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks for the info.

Waiting game has begun .

Im looking past the first year and seeing a 40k per year wage. Sounds better that the 13 euro an hour deliver job I have now.

Hi guys,

Is there anyone called for assessment test on 13/02/2016?

Would you help me what type of written assessment these days?

Many thanks

Hi,
    In written test just simple math questions and 200 words any accident report and some aptitude questions how you react if something happens in your bus.

Hi guys,

Is there anyone called for assessment test on Incoming days?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

What exactly is involved in the medical and how long after IF you pass will they contact you?

• Advertisement

What exactly is involved in the medical and how long after IF you pass will they contact you?

They take bloods, urine, hook up on ecg, eye sight, the whole shebang......

Advertisement