Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Well that was a great evening for a run. That’s what Wednesdays are all about, blue skies, open mountain, lake views ;) and a bit of bog ;).

Great race for topping up the vitamin D levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Well that was a great evening for a run. That’s what Wednesdays are all about, blue skies, open mountain, lake views ;) and a bit of bog ;).

Great race for topping up the vitamin D levels.
    You had a cracking run and no falls.

Great view coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Great race last night. Great route, views and weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Class running by Rathfarnhams Mark Ryan last weekend gold medal at the European Masters.

Careful now, it's a jungle out there.
    Details have emerged about the rescue of two hillwalkers who became trapped in a forest of Rhododendron plants in the Knockmealdown Mountains
    Jimmy Barry of the South Eastern Mountain Rescue said it took two hours to battle through 400 meters of jungle-like conditions to reach the couple....He said the team was "exhausted" following the rescue

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0617/624367-rhododendron-rescue/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Heard that on the news this morning. Must've been embarrassing to get lost in a flowerbed :D

Random question, would you prefer a buff or technical tshirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

I have lots of both at this stage. A good quality tee will get more use than a buff with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Buffs are useless for me. Have about 6. Use none.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Tshirt for me. Have a Buff and would say I use it about 2 or 3 times all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Don't use buffs

Great outing Saturday. B.harte here came up with a sea to summit route taking in Carrauntoohil, so at 5am 5 of us set off from the beach at Rossbeigh. 45km and 1,800+ metres of ascending later in glorious weather and surroundings we ended up back at the Climbers Inn in Glencar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

so at 5am 5 of us set off from the beach at Rossbeigh. 45km and 1,800+ metres of ascending later in glorious weather and surroundings we ended up back at the Climbers Inn in Glencar.

We will have to start earlier next year :-)
    Can't imagine we will get Caher as dry again.

b.harte wrote: »
    We will have to start earlier next year :-)
    Can't imagine we will get Caher as dry again.

It's rarely that glorious, but on the other hand the Reeks are not bad for weather, more clear days than Mount Brandon, Mweelrea, Hungry Hill and other great summits that are pretty much on the sea in the west and south west. The IMRA run this year was in very good weather.

Great race last night, the organisers came up with a fantastic route, taking in four summits of Seefin, skirting seefingan, Corrig and Seehan. And not a fire road in sight.

Mostly dry on top besides the odd bog of doom. Lovely open mountain. Went out a bit too fast myself and suffered a bit in early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

Great race last night, the organisers came up with a fantastic route, taking in four summits of Seefin, skirting seefingan, Corrig and Seehan. And not a fire road in sight.

Mostly dry on top besides the odd bog of doom. Lovely open mountain. Went out a bit too fast myself and suffered a bit in early stages.

Great race and loved the new route, much better that the out and back from a couple of years back. Was glad of the dry ground for the crossing from Seefingan to Corrig. The descent of Seefingan on the soft bouncy ground is amazing and the descent to the finish was also very enjoyable.

Roll on Ballinastoe next week!

Another great race today. Similar route to Wednesday but with Kippure added on.

Got lucky with the weather with superb views and dry conditions. Seefingan to Kippure was brilliant. Lots of peat hags which took a real effort. From there back to Corrig mountain. About 600 metres from end, I went right instead of left and added an extra km or so.

The winner did the 13 miles in under 2 hours. Amazing stuff given it was all open mountain.

Hi all, Run the Line is back this Nov 29th. Early bird price on offer till end of July. runtheline.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Same courses as last year Summit ? The shorter course was great, didn't have it in me at the time to do the longer one.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Same courses as last year Summit ? The shorter course was great, didn't have it in me at the time to do the longer one.

The longer route has a minor change near the Tibradden Ridge (see updated map) but other than that the route is the same. The new section this year is some of the nicest trail I have ever run in Dublin

• Advertisement

It's no Sugar Loaf - Alaska's famous Mt Marathon race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Massive weekend of domestic and international Irish hillrunning on the horizon kids.
    The Irish Championship comes down to the final race with 3 lads all with a serious chance of the win on Galtymore. I was in this very position before and it's EXCITING. So it is.
    That's on Sunday and with a very unfortunate scheduling clash we have the trial race for the Uphill World Championships on Saturday in Djouce Woods.

At least back in my one glorious year of fitness (fado fado) I had a week between the Irish Champs and the Internationals. The same weekend makes it next to impossible to combine the two unless your name is John or Robbie.

I have become one of those ould lads that talks about "their" time, back in the day! YUK...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

unfortunate scheduling clash alright. It happens often enough that Irish Champs events clash with a trial so either event is potentially being diminished by not getting all the main names to the same race. A pity.

Galtees should be good alright. It will be particularly interesting if the mist is down and weather is bad. ;)

Strong running by Brian MacMahon saw him win the trial race on a dry Djouce today in 31:50. Not far behind was Ian Conroy, just back from training in Italy with Brian Furey. James Kevan and Tom Hogan took 3rd and 4th.
    The Leinster League joint champions Des Kennedy and Brian Furey came 5th and 6th in about 35 minutes - about 12~15 seconds between them. Killian Mooney had a storming run in the junior race and was ahead of Tom/Des/Brian to the summit.
    About 35 minutes is 110% of Brian's time so hopefully (in my opinion) Des will be sent. Tim O'Donohue may or may not be either pre-selected or available.

A hard year and various injuries caught up with Barry Minnock, Emmet Jennings and Robert Malseed who all missed out on selection. I was even further back but at least I had a good view of the fight for the minor placings.
    In the women there was a lot of pre selection and with Sarah Mulligan on volunteer duties after her elevation to the marathon (well done) Emma Donlon beat Laura O'Shaughnessy and Catherine O'Connor.
    Fair play to the volunteers, it is a pity more people don't attend trial races.

Well done to Bernard, Jason and Tom on filling out the Irish Champs podium.

I survived Galtymore '14!

Awful weather. Gales, hailstone, sleet, little or no visibility, saw a few tumbles as side of Galtymore was like water slide.

All in all, a great day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nav challenge this Sunday down my neck of the woods. As surveyor in chief I'd recommend it, particularly the longer of the 2 course options, which should give you about 18k of very varied hill running, unless you managed to find shortcuts that I haven't anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

18.2km with 700m of the vertical stuff.
    Highly enjoyable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Great run by Killian Mooney in the WMRA Grand Prix race in Austria on Sunday - just behind a junior who got 4th in the 2013 Europeans and ahead of the junior who got 4th in the 2014 Europeans. Ian Conroy had an excellent run also.

See http://www.saalfelden-leogang.com/fileadmin/content_sale/events/asitzgipfelberglauf/2014/2014_asitzgipfelberglauf.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭climbhigh

Photo of Sarah Tunstall (GBR) in WMRA Grand Prix race.

Advertisement