Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options
  • 05-12-2013 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭

Hot off the presses. IMRA Winter League

Sun Jan 19 12:00 PM Howth Winter 201m climb 5km
    Sun Feb 2 11:00 AM Ticknock Winter 417m 10km
    Sun Feb 16 11:00 AM Trooperstown Hill 380m 11km
    Sat Mar 1 12:00 PM Annacurra 480m 11km
    Sat Mar 8 11:00 AM Maulin Winter League Route 538m 8km

Wicklow Way ultra/trail March 22nd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

What's with the different start times?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

They're the start times that were used in previous incarnations of those races. 11:00 because the race doesn't take everyone's full day. The later starts for howth because its the first and likely to take more time getting registrations done, and for Annacurra because it is further to travel for most people (And mya haver something to do with post-race facilities too, but I'm very hazy about that one), all IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

Havnt done Annacura or the WW Trail before so looking forward to giving those two a good bash next year:):)

Enduro wrote: »
    They're the start times that were used in previous incarnations of those races. 11:00 because the race doesn't take everyone's full day. The later starts for howth because its the first and likely to take more time getting registrations done, and for Annacurra because it is further to travel for most people (And mya haver something to do with post-race facilities too, but I'm very hazy about that one), all IIRC.
    While the above has logic, for the ordinary punter like me, a consistent start time across the series is preferable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

axe2grind wrote: »
    While the above has logic, for the ordinary punter like me, a consistent start time across the series is preferable

Balls to that; consistency has no place in IMRA. A cold icy feeling when you register and look up at the mountain ahead, a brilliant sense of immediacy as you struggle against walking in the race, a wonderful sense of cameraderie as you discuss war wounds with good people afterwards.

Consistency is for the other 6 days of the week;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

No matter what time of day the race starts at, you're always going to tell yourself: "it's too early for this sh1t" on the first climb.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Balls to that; consistency has no place in IMRA. A cold icy feeling when you register and look up at the mountain ahead, a brilliant sense of immediacy as you struggle against walking in the race, a wonderful sense of cameraderie as you discuss war wounds with good people afterwards.

Consistency is for the other 6 days of the week;)
    And yet the 13 races in the summer league all have the same start time...seems consistent to me :)

The rest still applies even if all the races start at 11am...or pm for nerraw...or would that be too late ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

And yet the 13 races in the summer league all have the same start time...seems consistent to me :)

The rest still applies even if all the races start at 11am...or pm for nerraw...or would that be too late ;)

You are not comparing like with like. With the Winter League some are susceptable to local arrangements and weekend travel logistics, so a 12 noon start in Annacurra (which I am directing) works better. If you want to standardise a start time you are welcome to come forward and direct a race which meets your consistent standards :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

High noon Mick, high noon.
    sounds better :D

Consistently having tea, soup and cake after the winter races would be preferable for this punter. Consistently giving most of the spot prizes to the volunteers would be good too.
    In the grand scheme of things tis a minor matter though.

• Advertisement

And on a hopefully related note to the 2014 IMRA season may I extend huge congratulations to Sarah Mulligan on her call-up to the European Cross Country Champs on Sunday.
    Sarah was a team bronze medallist at the Hill-running in the Summer just gone, all the best for a similar performance on Sunday!

If you want to standardise a start time you are welcome to come forward and direct a race which meets your consistent standards :confused:
    But I would also have to get the other race directors to agree.... ;)

I didn't mention looking for other conistencies :confused:

My raising of the issue (which I agree is a minor matter) was simply to avoid confusion and the possibility of someone turning up late for an 11am race with the previous one being high noon!

But I'm probably doing a disservice to the intelligence and time keeping of IMRA attendees.

No point in per longing this matter....my last word on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 michael thomas

What distance is involved in the wicklow way ultra/trail run? thanks

What distance is involved in the wicklow way ultra/trail run? thanks

25k for the trail. 50k for the ultra (as its out and back on the same course).

Anyone have any idea what the ground is likely to be like on the Djouce -War hill-Tonduff-Maulin loop? Particularly from Djouce to War Hill and on to Tonduff?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the ground is likely to be like on the Djouce -War hill-Tonduff-Maulin loop? Particularly from Djouce to War Hill and on to Tonduff?

Djouce to War Hill is soggy at best. As for the rest; wet in patches but in all very manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

For those interested, john lenihan will be doing an i terview on radio kerry between 9 and 11 tomorrow morning, discussing his 8 favourite races with studio and phone in guests. Ill be discussing his 2005 21st anniversary warriors run victory, when he returned 17 years after his last victory for a dominant win. Posneg and bazman from these parts ran that one. Other contenders you might recognise would be simon fairmaner, emmett dunleavy, gary higgins. Eoin mckenna.

Hell also be discussing other victories, his world title obviously, his first warriors win, defeating then world champion kenny stuart, and his other great triumphs. Should be a good listen. (Dont know if it will be on podcast.)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

T runner wrote: »
    For those interested, john lenihan will be doing an i terview on radio kerry between 9 and 11 tomorrow morning,
    Do you know if it was recorded/available T-runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Do you know if it was recorded/available T-runner?

It's available here: http://www.radiokerry.ie/podcast_series/saturday-supplement/#

In the latest podcast there is reference to a previous one, of John Lenihan's early years. Here it is:-
    http://media.radiokerry.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/podcasts/38/item/5515

• Advertisement

First winter league race is on this Sunday, noon, at Howth. It's ideal for beginners or people looking to dip their toe in hill running.

Just over 5km. It's a great race. Despite the short distance, it packs a punch with a surprising amount of variety, from muddy trails to scrambling over rocks. €10 to join for the year and €7 per race thereafter. Or you can buy 10 race vouchers for €50, making it a fiver per race.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    First winter league race is on this Sunday, noon, at Howth. It's ideal for beginners or people looking to dip their toe in hill running.

Just over 5km. It's a great race. Despite the short distance, it packs a punch with a surprising amount of variety, from muddy trails to scrambling over rocks. €10 to join for the year and €7 per race thereafter. Or you can buy 10 race vouchers for €50, making it a fiver per race.

And you can buy before you try with online yearly registration and vouchers, saving everyone time.

https://www.imra.ie/users/myimraselecttype

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I assume any unused vouchers from last year do not carry over to 2014 season?

belcarra wrote: »
    I assume any unused vouchers from last year do not carry over to 2014 season?

Correct. No carry forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

Great race today at Howth. A fast and muddy 5k! Looking forward to Ticknock now.

Great race today at Howth. A fast and muddy 5k! Looking forward to Ticknock now.

+1 to that. Anyone wearing road runners would have been struggling.

I said to a girl beforehand who was wearing headphones that they weren't allowed (for safety etc). Her reply.. oh, they aren't turned on. So you are wearing them why exactly? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

This was the most enjoyable race I've done in quite some time - great scenery, great atmosphere, great organisation. Every race should have a U.S. high school / college group cheering the runners on - they were all so enthusiastic - "you guys are awesome"!!

Thanks to all involved in the organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eoinín wrote: »
    This was the most enjoyable race I've done in quite some time - great scenery, great atmosphere, great organisation. Every race should have a U.S. high school / college group cheering the runners on - they were all so enthusiastic - "you guys are awesome"!!

Thanks to all involved in the organisation.

What about me and my loud, foghorn-voiced cheering at the end? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Those Americans were good craic, there was a pile of them. They must have been filthy by the time they got back to their digs.

Big turn out yesterday, biggest yet for a regular league race, 274 runners, 211 the year before.

Just spotted the Summer League races are now up, with a Howth summer making an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

And right on Q the IMRA site goes down!

Advertisement