Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    As of last Sunday, very sloppy in places, with some firm underfoot sections. The forest section that skirts around Fairycastle was basically a small river but not sloppy.

A small section through the aerials at the top was a mudbath. I've heard that as of Wednesday, it wasn't any different.

Definitely one for the trail shoes. Not sure if I'd go with really aggressive grips though as there is some firm ground in places, but then again, it is slippy in places.

cool thanks. not sure if my basic Adidas Kanadia's will be up for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Is it for the IMRA race? You'll definitely get away with the Kanadia. I had trail shoes and they were ok. A bit slippy but then on the solid sections, they were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Is it for the IMRA race? You'll definitely get away with the Kanadia. I had trail shoes and they were ok. A bit slippy but then on the solid sections, they were good.

yeah it's for Sunday. they did ok for Run the Line but that was much dryer. cool, should be fine so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stirwell

Peterx wrote: »
    https://www.imra.ie/photos/view/id/79175/

the final actual route for Ticknock's race and if you think you can follow that without John's fluttering red and white tape in place you should consider taking up orienteering. :)
    Excellent route today Peter. Really enjoyed the different trails. Well done on a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I think the 'really wet' description was a bit of an under statement :D
    I wore my grippiest inov8s and was glad I did.
    Brilliant event. But the numbers turning up are becoming a challenge to manage (edit: approaching 300 2 races in a row...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, great fun course, really enjoyed the sloppiness and seasonal rivers.

Surprised the numbers were up on Howth, they might drop a little when the races move further from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

I think the 'really wet' description was a bit of an under statement :D
    I wore my grippiest inov8s and was glad I did.
    Brilliant event. But the numbers turning up are becoming a challenge to manage (edit: approaching 300 2 races in a row...)

I reckon Annacura is safe Mick, but we seem to be picking up a lot of runners through external running sites, who have our races listed. That plus 3Rock is pretty handy. Didn't get out today, on what sounds like a great course, but hope to make the rest of the winter league

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hot off the presses. IMRA Winter League

Sat Mar 1 12:00 PM Annacurra 480m 11km

Im interested in doing this but havnt run in one of these races before. Can you pay on the day or do you have to register on the IMRA site etc. in advance?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

silverharp wrote: »
    Im interested in doing this but havnt run in one of these races before. Can you pay on the day or do you have to register on the IMRA site etc. in advance?

On the day you can register for the year and also pay for the race. Total €17

You can also pre-register on IMRA.ie and then just pay on the day for the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Brilliant report from Ticknock, Peter.

(There'd be a well-paying job for life if you could apply such literary skills to sports of the ball-chasing variety):)

• Advertisement

Agreed.

As previously said by shedloads of people, we should turn Three Rock into a national park of sorts. It's an amazing resource.

A shout out to Boardsies who might be considering a hill race... I'll be hosting the IMRA Annacurra race in 3 weeks time. 11k of hilly muddy goodness. Go on, you know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Brilliant report from Ticknock, Peter.

(There'd be a well-paying job for life if you could apply such literary skills to sports of the ball-chasing variety):)

tanx Kurt. The more the merrier and it would be great to get someone who was actually in the race to write a race report. Anyone on myIMRA can do it.
    in (tenuously) imra related news Des Kennedy had a super run in Marlay Parkrun this morning.
    good leg turnover, as T runner might say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Agreed.

As previously said by shedloads of people, we should turn Three Rock into a national park of sorts. It's an amazing resource.

what advantage would there be in it being a national park ? Apart from restricted access and having to pay to park ? ��

Peterx wrote: »
    tanx Kurt. The more the merrier and it would be great to get someone who was actually in the race to write a race report. Anyone on myIMRA can do it.
    in (tenuously) imra related news Des Kennedy had a super run in Marlay Parkrun this morning.
    good leg turnover, as T runner might say :)

Report added.

Summer route finish was a welcomed changed to today's race route. We'll Done to Alan and volunteers. It was cold out there if you weren't moving.

Half the crowd that turned up for 3rock. Donadee having a slight impact perhaps but hope we get a crowd again for Annacurra!! We'll done to Eoghan and Kate

Annacurra route shaping up well for next week. Has dried up a bit in recent days. Hopefully we'll get a day like today.

12680308865_9b60706403_c.jpg

12680289625_7a6d060a8c_c.jpg

12680273845_07d5e28752_c.jpg

Not much point in showering this week, guaranteed a wash Saturday at Annacurra

Circuit of Brockagh route below

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/451011766

Some pics too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Annacurra route shaping up well for next week. Has dried up a bit in recent days. Hopefully we'll get a day like today.

12680289625_7a6d060a8c_c.jpg

Is that on the route ? Would one need wellington boots ?

Wellington boots might cover you, if you're 8 foot tall. If you're like me, from experience, you'll be singing soprano when you wade through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Did you seriously plough through it last year ThisRegard?!? Kudos!

There will be a path marked around that puddle, through those trees on the right, which will take you back to the main track. However, low branches and vegetation mean a bit of scrambling is called for, so the quicker option would be to go straight through and get wet!

Running up along the bank on the left isn't really an option either, its not as solid as it may appear in that photo.

The key is to build up a bit of speed before reaching the puddle. Then quick feet over the water and you'll gain 30 seconds easy.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Did you seriously plough through it last year ThisRegard?!? Kudos!

I'm normally one to just plow right on through puddles, but once the splashes started reaching groin level at that particular one I thought better and scrambled up the side and through the trees and out at the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm normally one to just plow right on through puddles, but once the splashes started reaching groin level at that particular one I thought better and scrambled up the side and through the trees and out at the corner.

That's exactly what I did. I had great success plowing through the Annagh Hill lakes the previous year. I took the strategy to Annacurra on the assumption that taking the "wet" option would buy me time. Once the depth reached one metre and sinking, (only halfway in) the fastest option was to wade out to the side. I assumed Slogger and Kurt had a candid camera installed and were selling the funny videos for charity.

The fastest option is to actually sprint at breakneck speed in and do a huge (and accurate) dive and "glide". That will make a body past half way and just as the glide is fading a few strong strokes of front crawl will do the rest, always taking care to keep the right side of the red line.

Barring that id recommend running to the right of the lake, or else running through the water on the right hand side so you wont have too far to wade to the inevitable climb to the bank.

There is a gap in the trees just before the 'pond'. I cleared the worse of the branches so its reasonably runnable c. 10 feet parallel to the pond. You pop out at the end of the pond. A lot drier and possibly quicker than the water option. Certainly warmer!

Some tape streamers already in there KG, but a few more needed particularly at the entry and exit point.

Due to forestry work the route is muddier than last year so last year's winning time should safely stand ;)

I hope some of you boardsies can make it down Annacurra way on Saturday where we have a nice route for ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Entries now open for Wicklow Way trail/ultra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anybody running in the 12 o CLock Hill Race this Sunday in Kilkishen Co CLare?
    Going to be my first hill run. Expecting to get hammered as I have only trained on road this year. How does one go about training to be a mountainr runner in our 40s?

Advertisement