Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Scalp race is on tonight.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1127/

It's a super introduction to hill running. Slightly less than 6km with 200 metres of climbing. It's a good blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The Scalp race is on tonight.

https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1127/

It's a super introduction to hill running. Slightly less than 6km with 200 metres of climbing. It's a good blast.

Agreed, very good race. You making your comeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the IMRA description is somewhat confusing. Is the route one lap of Carrickgolligan, followed by a lap of Barnaslingan woods ?

DSS, I see you're volunteering, say hello if you see me, 1588 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

PaulieC wrote: »
    the IMRA description is somewhat confusing. Is the route one lap of Carrickgolligan, followed by a lap of Barnaslingan woods ?
    Basically yeah. You start below the smelting tower and do a loop of Carrickolligan before leaving the way you came and crossing the road into Barnaslingan for a loop.

Well this was what happened last year. There were fallen trees blocking some of the route the last time I was down there. Not sure if they've been moved in time or if the race marker (PeterX) is planning different route.
    DSS, I see you're volunteering, say hello if you see me, 1588 :)

Will do ;)

Ha. I am tempted to do it but it'd be madness given how quick the race is!

I might give the Vale of Glendasan a go. In my head it seems like a more relaxing race.

Paulie: It's a figure of 8, with a loop of each. Last year's race was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Basically yeah. You start below the smelting tower and do a loop of Carrickolligan before leaving the way you came and crossing the road into Barnaslingan for a loop.

Well this was what happened last year. There were fallen trees blocking some of the route the last time I was down there. Not sure if they've been moved in time or if the race marker (PeterX) is planning different route.

Will do ;)
    I'm bringing a saw with me in case of branches in the path, the route will hopefully be the same as on the event page map (which is courtesy of the GEN orienteers I see)
    BUT JUST FOLLOW THE TAPE. please:D

Short, but sharp.

The downed logs looked like they were placed there for equestrian purposes. Too uniform to be random

How to decrease the amount of cars we bring into the hills.
    Options off the top of my head:

Logistics:
    #1 Get more landowners to provide parking fields
    #2 Only organise races with huge carparks

Incentives:
    #1 1 minute headstart for all racers arriving by bicycle :)
    #2 30 second headstart for all arriving in fully loaded cars
    #3 Entry to a prize raffle for all arriving in full cars

Disincentives:
    #1 Charge all cars a fee. 1 person=€4, 2 persons=€3, 3 persons=€2, 4 persons=€1, 5 persons=free.
    #2 Turn away single occupancy cars. Only exceptions=non running volunteers

anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Peterx wrote: »

Logistics:

Incentives:

Disincentives:
    #1 Charge all cars a fee. 1 person=€4, 2 persons=€3, 3 persons=€2, 4 persons=€1, 5 persons=free.

anyone else?

Have a common location with sufficient parking that people can carpool from, the simple rule is that unless you got a car full you must pass by it, and either pickup more passengers or ditch yourown car to go with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

GOAL Killiney Hill relay on tomorrow night - Wednesday. Always a good social evening out.
    I was trying to drum up interest in a carboot type of thing and have some items donated by Moire and Greg to sell in aid of GOAL.
    I might try again with a proper carboot evening at a later date.

And well done to all at the Glacier Lakes. The lunatic fringe of Leinster IMRA rides again:D

Great idea,let me know if you plan on doing at another event.Have about 40 pairs of size 10 running shoes :eek:

• Advertisement

Great idea,let me know if you plan on doing at another event.Have about 40 pairs of size 10 running shoes :eek:

Good man. Tentative plan to repeat at the Sugarloaf BBQ. Should be a better captive audience there and folk will have had 12 races to get to know each other.
    I still have most of Greg's stuff and Moire's shoes.

Logistics:

Incentives:

Disincentives:

anyone else?

I think you need to make it a bit more prohibitive to park single occupancy cars to discourage it. Wednesday night was a bit of a parking disaster (luckily I got out before the big crowd came back) and should be avoided at all costs. There were a decent number of carpool offers on the site though (including mine), but as long as it's so cheap to drive up and pay a pittance (relatively) it's not going to curtail it. Charge a tenner for parking and see things change pretty quickly...

I’d be against putting financial punishments as it disproportionally affects people. €10 or whatever could be a drop in the ocean for some and therefore ineffective, or a hefty cost for others, which is unfair.

This comes up every year at the start of the season and it usually works out fine. Maybe ban single occupancy cars from ‘official’ car parks. I say that as someone who has no choice but to travel on my own given the decision to run every Wednesday race is made 5 mins before rushing out the door.

I’d have no problem sticking the bike in the car and driving somewhere close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I’d be against putting financial punishments as it disproportionally affects people. €10 or whatever could be a drop in the ocean for some and therefore ineffective, or a hefty cost for others, which is unfair.

This comes up every year at the start of the season and it usually works out fine. Maybe ban single occupancy cars from ‘official’ car parks. I say that as someone who has no choice but to travel on my own given the decision to run every Wednesday race is made 5 mins before rushing out the door.

I’d have no problem sticking the bike in the car and driving somewhere close.

That worked before...although I remember in Annagh Hell Kurt having to receive the ire of some single occupancy guys for enforcing the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Part of the problem with Wednesday I think was the fact that people knew we had a big field to use, so less pressure to car pool. I actually didn't think parking was an issue, there was still plenty of space.

I've done parking at Crone a couple of times, it's like one big game of Tetris, but when you fit everything in neatly, things don't disappear and free up more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great event today. Feet were never as wet in a race before.
    2 tough waterlogged climbs, with some nice waterlogged downhills after and other waterlogged bits too.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139963542

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Great event today. Feet were never as wet in a race before.
    2 tough waterlogged climbs, with some nice waterlogged downhills after and other waterlogged bits too.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/139963542

HI Slogger. Well done, good run, Looked like tough going out there.
    There is a path On St Kevins Way opposite the IMC that leads to the main path up Camaderry. Was there any reason given why the route had up had to go via the mine works? If there was a free choice the other way is attractive as its all very runnable on well drained ground for a lot of the climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

T runner wrote: »
    HI Slogger. Well done, good run, Looked like tough going out there.
    There is a path On St Kevins Way opposite the IMC that leads to the main path up Camaderry. Was there any reason given why the route had up had to go via the mine works? If there was a free choice the other way is attractive as its all very runnable on well drained ground for a lot of the climbing.

This was the path dictated by the Race Director who had evil intentions for the runners :D I would like to do it again on a nice day so I could have a proper look around. Yesterday we had a gale in our faces and rain when we were going up Camaderry so very little chance to actually take in the surroundings. There were some nice pieces of running yesterday. From Camaderry around Turlough hill to Wicklow gap and everything after Tonelagee.

...and everything after Tonelagee.

you mean the downhill bit on the way to the finish (and dry clothes/cups of tea/cake/etc.) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone coming to Cratloe Woods Wednesday evening? Just a ten minute drive for me form Quin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

That was a great race last night. Some climb but the descent was well worth it :)

So who are the favourites for the relay tomorrow?

favourites

Sli Cualann
    TT Racers
    Rathfarnham

unknowns

East Cork
    Athenry
    Defence Forces

outside chance

3 roc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

favourites

Sli Cualann
    TT Racers
    Rathfarnham

unknowns

East Cork
    Athenry
    Defence Forces

outside chance

3 roc
    What about Raheny?

What about Raheny?

Was wondering that myself. They way the teams sheets are on Google docs this year, we can't see the team limes up can we, or am I just missing them ?

Doesn't look like Raheny are racing. Not down on the team list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Doesn't look like Raheny are racing. Not down on the team list anyway.
    Timing is everything
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4nV5BZ5NnU9NFhuSHlKV29zV1k/edit?usp=sharing

I don't see them on the list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Sportsworld team looks pretty competitive too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Sorry didn't mean to imply there where. I just got a mail about the list as I saw the thread. Should be an epic day. What legs people doing?

Advertisement