Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

buck65 wrote: »
    Anybody running in the 12 o CLock Hill Race this Sunday in Kilkishen Co CLare?
    Going to be my first hill run. Expecting to get hammered as I have only trained on road this year. How does one go about training to be a mountainr runner in our 40s?

Age is no barrier. In fact many of the best hill runners around are in their 40s :)
    The simple answer is do lots of hilly runs. Good luck & enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

See you in the morning Mick, always a fun race!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Bar any mishaps in the morning I'll be there for my IMRA comeback. Wont be pretty but ya got to start somewhere!

Age is no barrier. In fact many of the best hill runners around are in their 40s :)
    The simple answer is do lots of hilly runs. Good luck & enjoy.

So true, I've been happy to abandon the hills the last few years in favour of the track as I know I wont always have 800m speed in my legs, but have many years hopefully before I'd hit my peak on the hills ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Timmaay wrote: »
    So true, I've been happy to abandon the hills the last few years in favour of the track as I know I wont always have 800m speed in my legs, but have many years hopefully before I'd hit my peak on the hills ha!

Timmaay- I see on the IMRA forum that you held 3rd (but it doesn't count as you were too late for registration ya big eejit:)). Just want to commend you on that- I saw you summit with Bernard F right behind you in 4th- he's one of the best descenders in IMRA and I was sure he'd take you. You must have had an incredible downhill yourself?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Bar any mishaps in the morning I'll be there for my IMRA comeback. Wont be pretty but ya got to start somewhere!

Famous last words! You were flying. A pity you weren't registered :p
    Good to see you back on the hills.

Spot prizes of alarm clocks might make a return !

Thx very much Mick and band if helpers. Always a fantastic race with great facilities after!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Timmaay- I see on the IMRA forum that you held 3rd (but it doesn't count as you were too late for registration ya big eejit:)). Just want to commend you on that- I saw you summit with Bernard F right behind you in 4th- he's one of the best descenders in IMRA and I was sure he'd take you. You must have had an incredible downhill yourself?

I've had Bernard leave me in a trail of his dust on descents before (Sugarloaf being the most memorable), today to be honest neither of us were anywhere near our limits ha. I gather he is just back hill running also, so was quite rusty. My limit wasn't descending the technical parts, it was just fitness, 10k is well outside my range yet.

And on the missing registration part, meh, work is crazy at the sec, I'm happy that I just made the start of the race itself at least, that was the main thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

From Jerome Dupuis's (Annacurra race winner report on IMRA site :
    Paperwork done, including the signing of a comforting pre-race disclaimer, I had a chance to get a few tips from thr race director . He said : ‘after 5-6k you will see a ‘pool’, depending on where you are during the race at that point, you can strategically cut through it to gain time or you can decide to avoid it by entering the forest, ... but beware it is quiet deep’

Mick was right about one thing: it was deep.

I had to stop half way through with water up to my hips and decided coldly and shyly to climb to the border of the lake, gripping trees branches, and managed my way to the dry land. Not a paying move, especially since I then took a wrong turn back into the wood, going in the opposite race direction

Sounds familiar!

I'm convinced Slogger, Kurt and Posneg watch the video of "the Lake" Apres match over a couple of bottles of red and to the soundtrack of uproarous laughter and hearty back slapping!

(That's said, sorry I didn't have a go at the lake this year. Sounded like a great event again, as usuasl SJ!)

• Advertisement

In my defence I can only say the the optimal route around the pool was the only route marked!

Jerome was fortunate that Adrian was hot on his heels as Jerome entered the woods at the end of the pool, in effect following the marking backwards, only for Adrian to point him in the right direction.

A great set of reports and Ken is right, they really add to the colour of an event looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Opinion - Maulin should have been cancelled when no race director was in place 7 daze before de event.
    Ahem - down with the winter league:D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Easy to do RD when you have an experienced Deputy Race Director available - you would think people would like to avail of the opportunity :-)

Any takers for the Maulin WL race on Saturday???

Date for your diaries: Run The Line - 29th Nov 2014

Same start location and routes

RD for Maulin found :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

RD for Maulin found :)

where was he/she hiding ?

PaulieC wrote: »
    where was he/she hiding ?

Not sure but Rach K had a big part to play in getting this resolved.

Looking forward to Saturday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have just added 4 places to the carpool on imra.ie for Maulin. Leaving Irishtown at about 9:15 and heading through Sandymount/Merrion/Booterstown/Stillorgan if anyone wants a lift. Will be coming back straight after the race though, I don't think I'll need to be hanging around for no prizegiving :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Anybody know of a good route going from Bray Head to the Little Sugar Loaf?

I'm trying to do a Bray head - Little Sugar loaf - Great Sugar loaf run. But most walking routes that I have found seem to approach the little sugar loaf from the west side, whereas I would prefer to approach from the east coming from Bray head.

Any ideas/links to routes?

• Advertisement

I did it a few years ago so the route is a bit sketchy in my mind. From the Bray Greystones road we went down a minor road near the crossing from Bray head a little ways, jumped a gate, ran along a farm trail and along a field before it led to a trail from the east of little sugar loaf. Didn't get permission from anyone in Kilruddery. Strictly speaking you are probably supposed to but when I ran it I didn't bump into anyone. Sorry I can't remember more specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

I did it a few years ago so the route is a bit sketchy in my mind. From the Bray Greystones road we went down a minor road near the crossing from Bray head a little ways, jumped a gate, ran along a farm trail and along a field before it led to a trail from the east of little sugar loaf. Didn't get permission from anyone in Kilruddery. Strictly speaking you are probably supposed to but when I ran it I didn't bump into anyone. Sorry I can't remember more specifics.

Slogger's right, jump the gate and you're through on to farmland.
    The link below should give you all the info you need. It was the route used in the Dirty Dozen Race a couple of years back. A very enjoyable race too. It crossed the M11 to summit the Sugarloaf and finished in the Glenview Hotel.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/35093470/#

Cheers lads, yea I tried it last week but only got as far as a big farmers gate. I could see the little sugar loaf just beyond the farmland but the field in between was full of cows. I'll bring the cattle prod the next time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

you could gain access through the main gates of Killruddery and head up that way.

you could gain access through the main gates of Killruddery and head up that way.

Thats not a bad idea. Ideally I'd want to avoid roads as much as possible but if I went up Bray head then looped back down the side by the golf course onto Newcourt road I would only have about a mile or less of road to run on before I got to Killruddery.

Is access OK at Killruddery? Might try this out on the weekend. Thanks.

Yea nice one. Tried that out today -http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479427217

Lots of route choice heading up the Little Sugar Loaf. From the top of the Little I could see the trail heading off in the direction of the Great Sugar Loaf but was short of time today so I'll follow that next time I try this in a couple of weeks. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

GOAL Killiney Hill relay on tomorrow night - Wednesday. Always a good social evening out.
    I was trying to drum up interest in a carboot type of thing and have some items donated by Moire and Greg to sell in aid of GOAL.
    I might try again with a proper carboot evening at a later date.

And well done to all at the Glacier Lakes. The lunatic fringe of Leinster IMRA rides again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Update on registartion for the Wicklow Way Relay now up:

https://www.imra.ie/forum/reply/id/3704/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Anyone done the Clare Glens Race in Co Tipp before, looking for another race that mightnt be too challenging for a newbie.

• Advertisement

Some photos from the Camaderry section of today's race. Glorious day. Didn't feel I would have been up to the challenge. Regretting it now!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157644375652624/

Advertisement