Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sorry didn't mean to imply there where. I just got a mail about the list as I saw the thread. Should be an epic day. What legs people doing?
    Early morning leg for me. Strange to have a race wrapped up by 8am (give or take a few minutes ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

My predictions are one of the leading teams will go wrong on leg 5.

One runner will go AWOL before their leg starts.

Someone will go off too hard on leg 7 and pay dearly for it.

Best of luck to everyone running. Giving it a miss myself this year. It's a great craic of a race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck to you WW kids tomorrow. The form guide has Sli Cualann or TT Racers for the win, Rathfarnham for the search party, but the WWR has a habit of surprises right down the field, which is what makes it the best team race in the land. Gutted to be missing the chat at Shillelagh, but there's only so many weekends to fit in all those different races!

(Special shout out to Captain SloggerJogger and his Tinahely Tri Team. We'll have you in a wetsuit before the year is out, Mick;))

Just 5km to go in 127km ultra and only 2 mins between 1st and 2nd. Was 10 min gap with 10km to go.

Rathfarnham takes the win, just 1.02 ahead of TT racers. Who went wrong on leg 5.

Sli C in 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I believe Tim O'Donoghue smashed leg 7 again. Despite losing an hour on leg 1 and more time on leg 8, for route excursions ( :) )they weren't far off top 10. If those errors were ironed out good things will happen.

A fabulous event.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Rathfarnham takes the win, just 1.02 ahead of TT racers. Who went wrong on leg 5.

Sli C in 3rd

You'd have to wonder if a recce was done. The nav on leg 5 is pretty straightforward. I know it but still recced it twice. You can't be too careful. Cost them dearly in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

You'd have to wonder if a recce was done. The nav on leg 5 is pretty straightforward. I know it but still recced it twice. You can't be too careful. Cost them dearly in the end.

Ahh that's just the way it is when fast runners take to the WWR. Recces at chatting pace last Tuesday feel so different to race pace at 10am on a misty Saturday morn..All part of the unique appeal of this race. As shown today and many daze in the past it's not always the quickest team that finished first.

Leg 5 is deceptive, even Bernard got lost on it before. As all the traditionally road running clubs have found out fast club runners running in a fast straight line can lead you down the road less travelled it comes to the WW.

Being late for the start is impressive though, Turlough at least was late for leg 6, twice (we may forgive but we never forget :)

Someone always goes wrong on leg 5 as ahem, predicted. The black hole between glenmalure and glendalough.

The leg 6 wait is good craic for that reason.

I'd be interested in the leg 1 and leg 5 garmin tracks for the diversions :-)

Not finding the start is a new one on me. Details, Recces, logistics, speed - all in good balances makes a good team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 metamagical

The goings-wrong didn't begin at leg 5 yesterday: two teams narrowly missed the start and Sli Cualann went well off in Crone Woods on leg 2. The thick mist and fog in the early stages just added to the uncertainty over routes and runners that makes this a fantastic race. We missed out on a place again, but despite the appalling conditions on Djouce (the entire ridge route was under inches of water) I'm already looking forward to next year's battle. Thanks to all the organisers and Marshalls, and kudos to Rathfarnham for a great win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I was lucky enough to run Leg 4 for team Jinka, my first competitive outing on the WW. Fortunately for us weather conditions had improved greatly by the time we took off and I really, really enjoyed it.
    Congrats to all who ran and special thanks to all the organisers and volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Not finding the start is a new one on me. Details, Recces, logistics, speed - all in good balances makes a good team.

You own Garmin log seems to be the definitive route for leg 8. A lot of people, including myself, used it in our recces. If you continued along the WW to Clonegal, and put the amended route on the web as leg 8, might have an interesting finish next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Nem_e

I was Marshalling the Glendalough checkpoint and was chatting the TT Racers leg 5 runner later on in the Car Park.
    He had a 5 min advantage over Rathfarnham team but was convinced he missed the left hand turn up to the waterfall so turned back and waited for the next racer.
    Turned out if he’d kept going for 400 meters past where he stopped he’d have been at the turn.

It does make it a very interesting race, reading the race reports from the Solo guy’s their where a fair few times Racers who were passed would at a later point be passed again by the same person 

Nem_e wrote: »
    I was Marshalling the Glendalough checkpoint and was chatting the TT Racers leg 5 runner later on in the Car Park.
    He had a 5 min advantage over Rathfarnham team but was convinced he missed the left hand turn up to the waterfall so turned back and waited for the next racer.
    Turned out if he’d kept going for 400 meters past where he stopped he’d have been at the turn.

It does make it a very interesting race, reading the race reports from the Solo guy’s their where a fair few times Racers who were passed would at a later point be passed again by the same person 

Thats gas. That is a pretty easy turn to recce. I was expecting a wrong track somewhere in the middle of the mountain, but not the first turn left!! Shows a lack of planning methinks.

And there was me doing recces on legs I didn't even do :) You could probably say I was over recced.

Superb video of the Zegama marathon last weekend. Longer version and a bit more artsy than earlier one.

[url]

Bus down a few ppl for Carrauntoohil on Saturday. Decent weather forecast for it too at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Superb video of the Zegama marathon last weekend. Longer version and a bit more artsy than earlier one.

[url]

Bus down a few ppl for Carrauntoohil on Saturday. Decent weather forecast for it too at the moment.

Magic - some day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

[url]

Thank you so much for that!! I'm from that part of the world and I'm sooo homesick righ now :(. I'm going to have to hit the mountains this weekend and pretend I'm home... Of course, this race is on my bucket list. Maybe in a couple of years time :rolleyes:. Difficult to get into though, 450 places in total, 225 for the draw...

Check this one out too: Hiru Handiak, The Big Three. Click on 'Perfil' and remember that the "." is the decimal separator in Spain! Anyone here ever done it or considered it?

Oh, and let me know if you don't understand something and I'll translate!

Sky Running comes to the Mournes.

35km with 11,056ft of ascent and 11,024ft of descent. The highest point will be 2,801ft and the lowest point is at sea level.

Takes in Slieve Donard.

http://skyrunninguk.com/2014/05/28/skyrunning-uk-announce-new-race-mourne-skyline-mtr-in-northern-ireland/

Won't be able to do Carrauntoohil, which is disappointing as was building up all fitness over winter with an eye on the IC outings. Tore medial meniscus and sprained a few knee ligaments in mid April. On the plus side, am back running and the physio thinks surgery may not be necessary, no ligaments torn, knee isn't clicking. Even managed an 18km trail run/jog/walk around Sheeps Head on Sunday, though was uncomfortable afterwards. Just think the full tilt downhill on Carrauntoohil might be asking for trouble until the concentration and confidence is back up.

Anyway, after all that, have volunteered to do summit marshall, so hope to be able to jog up anyway. So hope the sun comes out and some of ye travel down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Pretty quiet on here for an IMRA season thread..is all the real fun happening somewhere else? Nice race last night. Just had a look cos I was bored, 6 LL races in and no race reports (excluding two ones on team positions). They've fallen out of fashion I guess? Pity, I remember some gems before (Colm Hill had a certain turn of phrase for instance :-))

Ronan

Brilliant race last night. Superb new course. 4km climb followed by 6km of twisty technical descent. Tough going in places when it leveled off.

Seems to be more competitive this year? Someone is always hounding or you're chasing someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ar Strae wrote: »
    Pretty quiet on here for an IMRA season thread..is all the real fun happening somewhere else?

The Facebook IMRA group is fairly active this year compared to previous ones, might be one reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The Facebook IMRA group is fairly active this year compared to previous ones, might be one reason.

True but I hate the way everything is moving to Facebook.

I'm not sure what the issue is but it appears to be difficult to get up-to-date maps etc onto IMRA events on the website. This is compounded by routes only getting agreed at the last minute. No fault here with the people concerned who are doing great work, but its the processes and hoops that have to be jumped through on permits etc from what I can tell.

I've had issues any time I tried to upload photos to IMRA site so I just gave up.
    Facebook isnt ideal but it allows for easy photo uploads and chatter.
    The IMRA website was great for its time but elements of it look stale now in my opinion e.g. news items on the home page can be there for months on end, so its not very dynamic and maybe thats one reason why people are finding favour with the FB IMRA group.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭paulocon2

Ar Strae wrote: »
    Pretty quiet on here for an IMRA season thread..is all the real fun happening somewhere else? Nice race last night. Just had a look cos I was bored, 6 LL races in and no race reports (excluding two ones on team positions). They've fallen out of fashion I guess? Pity, I remember some gems before (Colm Hill had a certain turn of phrase for instance :-))

Ronan

Always enjoy the race reports and just read the ones from Wednesday's race, great report from Ronan Hickey (possibly yourself), love the bit about EXACTLY "roughly 10 or 11k"!

Seems like photos etc. are mainly posted to Facebook these days. Would be nice to see the photos also posted to the IMRA website as well, I personally like the connectivity between races, reports, photos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

True but I hate the way everything is moving to Facebook.

I resisted for years but eventually succumbed to the dark side for reasons like this, i.e. info and updates for some events was only available on facebook and you could no longer browse without having an account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I'm not sure what the issue is but it appears to be difficult to get up-to-date maps etc onto IMRA events on the website. This is compounded by routes only getting agreed at the last minute. No fault here with the people concerned who are doing great work, but its the processes and hoops that have to be jumped through on permits etc from what I can tell.

I've had issues any time I tried to upload photos to IMRA site so I just gave up.
    Facebook isnt ideal but it allows for easy photo uploads and chatter.
    The IMRA website was great for its time but elements of it look stale now in my opinion e.g. news items on the home page can be there for months on end, so its not very dynamic and maybe thats one reason why people are finding favour with the FB IMRA group.

The great strength of the IMRA site was always its huge results database. You could click on a runner see all his races (and %) then click on a race, immediately see the result, click on another runner etc etc. I.e Either a race result or a runners result was 1 click away.

Now you get past "event details" when you click on a race that's finished (why?). When you click on a runer you get some stats up (does anyone ever look at these?)...and..ahem..enduro points :pac: .

There are 15 years of results sitting there unaccessed, unseen. It was prestigious for the site to win the golden penguin awards. But we lost de facto access to 15 years of races, pics and memories over the unfortunate changes that were never undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

T runner wrote: »
    The great strength of the IMRA site was always its huge results database. You could click on a runner see all his races (and %) then click on a race, immediately see the result, click on another runner etc etc. I.e Either a race result or a runners result was 1 click away.

Now you get past "event details" when you click on a race that's finished (why?). When you click on a runer you get some stats up (does anyone ever look at these?)...and..ahem..enduro points :pac: .

There are 15 years of results sitting there unaccessed, unseen. It was prestigious for the site to win the golden penguin awards. But we lost de facto access to 15 years of races, pics and memories over the unfortunate changes that were never undone.

I don't recall that it was ever the case that clicking on a runner would bring up his results history page. AFAIK it has always gone to the details page, as that's where the summary info is. Believe me, it makes no difference to me (with my webmaster hat on) which one it goes to. It may once have done, as the queries on the results page would once have taken a lot longer to execute and used a lot more server resources. That's changed in the recent massive backend re-write, so that page now flies.

And for clicking on an event... try using the site and get back to me and let me know what problems are actually there as opposed to the ones that you imagine are there. Real feedback is great to get. We don't have a bug testing team so the only way we find out issues is when someone tells us. But it would be good if you could actually ensure that it is a current issue.

No data has been lost AFAIK. There is a lot of hard work goes on to ensure that. If you think something has been lost let us know, and we might have some chance of getting back from an ancient back-up somewhere.

Golden penguin :D:D:D love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Enduro wrote: »
    I don't recall that it was ever the case that clicking on a runner would bring up his results history page. AFAIK it has always gone to the details page, as that's where the summary info is. Believe me, it makes no difference to me (with my webmaster hat on) which one it goes to. It may once have done, as the queries on the results page would once have taken a lot longer to execute and used a lot more server resources. That's changed in the recent massive backend re-write, so that page now flies.

And for clicking on an event... try using the site and get back to me and let me know what problems are actually there as opposed to the ones that you imagine are there. Real feedback is great to get. We don't have a bug testing team so the only way we find out issues is when someone tells us. But it would be good if you could actually ensure that it is a current issue.

No data has been lost AFAIK. There is a lot of hard work goes on to ensure that. If you think something has been lost let us know, and we might have some chance of getting back from an ancient back-up somewhere.

Golden penguin :D:D:D love it.

I don't mind the website it serves it's purpose well. I also like the fact that in keeping with imra it's done by volunteers. Does it count towards your non running 😊

It would be great if the Facebook page could be linked in so those of us who don't use it could see any hot topics being discussed .

Advertisement