Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Just because Gunni went and spent afew months training in the Gi and competing doesn't mean Conor or any other grappler needs to go to the hallowed aul US of A to do the same. Like he and all the rest of the guys say, you can become one of the best in the world training in THIS country. I think this weekend showed that. Gunnar might have gone to the US and gotten his BB from Renzo, but where did he spend much of his career? Ireland & Iceland. Who would he cite as his biggest influence and Coach? John Kavanagh. Last I checked Kav was knocking around D12, not San Fran. Which isn't to say training abroad and getting new ideas should be avoided. It's actively encouraged. That doesn't mean one should have to upsticks to compete with the best and, eventually, become one.
    Conor's guard is very good. He rolls in the Gi as well as out of it very often against some of the best guard players in the country and the world, day in, day out. He'll never be a Damien Maia and hunt submissions off his back or pull guard, because he utilises his BJJ to get back to his feet so he can utilise his greatest weapons. His top control, guard passing, transitions etc are all excellent - and not just against people of his size or smaller. He is one of the most relentless guard passers I've ever rolled with. Tom King would tell you the same thing I'm sure, as would Gunnar. Constantly changing directions and pressures to create openings. Add in strikes and the openings increase exponentially. Did you see the lateral drop reversal he hit on Brandao at one point? Incredible timing and technique to reverse the takedown. Conor is one of the new breed in MMA in every sense of the word - a student of the game, not just a student of a game. Well rounded in every range of combat. His striking is superior to his grappling, but that doesn't mean it's in any way a weakness.

darced wrote: »

Aye since the day Cain did it to Lesnar, it seems to be the single most important wrestling move!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Breakingnews.ie have this story, MMA is going mainstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/video-does-conor-mcgregor-deserve-the-hype-fellow-fighters-offer-mixed-opinions

What you guys think of Luke Barnatt here,pretty bitter stuff from him if u ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

amkin25 wrote: »
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/video-does-conor-mcgregor-deserve-the-hype-fellow-fighters-offer-mixed-opinions

What you guys think of Luke Barnatt here,pretty bitter stuff from him if u ask me.

Forget Barnatt, Swanson comes across as an absolute gentleman in that video.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Forget Barnatt, Swanson comes across as an absolute gentleman in that video.

Yeah can't help but like Cub but bitter stuff from Barnatt,can't stand the guy to be honest hope he gets Wanderlai and gets his head taken off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

[What you guys think of Luke Barnatt here,pretty bitter stuff from him if u ask me.

Luke barnatt is an absolute clown he was accusing Conor of buying followers on twitter there a while ago,the cheek of him to call out Wanderlei aswell no doubt a publicity stunt but I though it was hiliarious silva would ruin him in seconds the fella is going no where in the ufc he was robbed last time I though in fairness but hes still no good,very bitter and jealous man.
    Conor Subbed Dave Hill (who is a submission fighter) to win the Cage Warriors Featherweight title. That was over two years ago now, watch that and tell me Conor ground game is a weakness. He is on a different level now to then.

Wasting your time trying to educate some people(no on one here in particular just general mma fans),they like to believe he had no career before the ufc hes achieved nothing in their eyes 2 different belts in different divisions but hes done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

This so called weakness of Conors is ridicilous he was submitted years ago 08 and 2010,completely difference fighter back then if you're using that against him you can say aldos weakness is bjj seen as he was submitted a few years ago

His striking is clearly his best attribute but I dont worry about his ground game at all his coach John Kavanagh had 4 fighters on the dublin card,3 won by submission and conor by TKO so I wouldnt be too worried about his BJJ hes getting coached by the right man.

I was overstating it when I said I fear for him but this is definitely Poirer's best chance of success.
    Granted he almost got caught by Koch but later on he looked sneaky from the top and showed decent GnP and would have been another D'arce finish if the bell hadn't saved Koch.
    I don't think he has the wrestling to take McGregor down but he's probably going to be going for it all night.

Its an awful pity this is two weeks after the mayweather maidana fight imagine getting to these 2 events in one week that would be epic but wouldnt fancy staying in vegas for 2 weeks waiting for the ufc after the mayweather you'd spend some amount of $$$.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 begood20000

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Tickets on sale August 1st, ranging from $100 to $1000, (€75 - €750).

According to mmajunkie.com, Poirier vs McGregor may be the co-main event!

QUOTE]

Anyone think of going to this? Would be great to see McGregor fight again. And of course Jon Jones and the return of Cruz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Its an awful pity this is two weeks after the mayweather maidana fight imagine getting to these 2 events in one week that would be epic but wouldnt fancy staying in vegas for 2 weeks waiting for the ufc after the mayweather you'd spend some amount of $$$.

So if the two of them were on same week youd hear over yeah?.

califano wrote: »
    So if the two of them were on same week youd hear over yeah?.

I would probably try and make it as ive never been to vegas,not a fan of long treks but that would be very hard to turn down seeing floyd and then see that UFC card,its one or the other now I havent even priced it yet but I assume your talking 3ish grand to head over for the ufc with flight accom and spending money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Do you think Conor will get co-main event ahead of a former champion like Cruz??

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

srumball wrote: »
    Do you think Conor will get co-main event ahead of a former champion like Cruz??

I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If it somehow ends up being a title eliminator then they might. MMA Junkie have it billed that way (although that's not much indication).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

I very much doubt it.

Agreed! Conor is inside the Top 10 now, just saw it now

Don't see them putting him ahead of Cruz either but there is a far bigger interest in Conor and Poirer than Cruz fighting what maybe a decent fighter,but not a big name and i don't believe he was ever a big draw even as champion his fights always went to decisions.

All things being equal it almost should be co-main event and i think this will be the UFC card of the year easily,Conor already has big drawing power across the board i think,not just here but people in the States are definitely taking note,if he wins this one his drawing power will be massive and will almost be a headliner of pay-per views from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Wasting your time trying to educate some people(no on one here in particular just general mma fans),they like to believe he had no career before the ufc hes achieved nothing in their eyes 2 different belts in different divisions but hes done nothing.

Regardless of what he's done before, if you are to compare Poirier and McGregor then you have to go by what they've done in the UFC. It's the common denominator

evil_seed wrote: »
    Regardless of what he's done before, if you are to compare Poirier and McGregor then you have to go by what they've done in the UFC. It's the common denominator

These people were slating him before he was matched with Poirier though,Dustin has beaten better guys in the ufc than Conor only because he's had more fights,hes lost every big fight hes been in really where as Conor is a Prospect,people fighters inc are saying he doesnt deserve attention hes all hype are imbeciles in my opinion,I dont see anybody claiming hes going to take aldos belt bar himself whose doing this hyping I'd like to know who they are,anybody I know into MMA arent hyping him,hes a serious prospect and should(and is) be treated that way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

No. Don't mean to sound like an ass, but did you even read it? The first line makes it pretty obvious that they are overall.
    Maybe I'm mistaken but from what I can see, those are his UFC stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Honestly, last week i'd have thought Conor doesn't stand a chance against Poirier. But there's no getting away from how impressive the guy was on Saturday night. He completely outclassed Brandao, He looked amazing when doing it! I think Conor can do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe I'm mistaken but from what I can see, those are his UFC stats.

Hmm, now I'm confused. Looks like top half is overall but bottom half is UFC.

I'm in Vegas in September, albeit 3 weeks before this. Shame, as this would have been awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Barnatt has has a run in with Conor recently. They seem to grate off on another. Big fan of Luke Barnatt myself and can understand to some degree as to why he has that opinion of Conor. But then again he could be trying and get a bit of publicity himself out criticising Conor.
    Luke barnatt is an absolute clown he was accusing Conor of buying followers on twitter there a while ago,the cheek of him to call out Wanderlei aswell no doubt a publicity stunt but I though it was hiliarious silva would ruin him in seconds the fella is going no where in the ufc he was robbed last time I though in fairness but hes still no good,very bitter and jealous man.
    I think Conor's agent was found to be using shady means of getting Conor's twitter followers up, very quickly. It's not unheard of and could very well be true. He's hardly a clown for calling him out on it if it's true which he seems to think that he knows something we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

These people were slating him before he was matched with Poirier though,Dustin has beaten better guys in the ufc than Conor only because he's had more fights,hes lost every big fight hes been in really where as Conor is a Prospect,people fighters inc are saying he doesnt deserve attention hes all hype are imbeciles in my opinion,I dont see anybody claiming hes going to take aldos belt bar himself whose doing this hyping I'd like to know who they are,anybody I know into MMA arent hyping him,hes a serious prospect and should(and is) be treated that way

To be fair theres no shame in losing to either Cub or the Korean Zombie, Poirier is still only 25 and I'm sure he learned a lot from both losses.

Barnatt has has a run in with Conor recently. They seem to grate off on another. Big fan of Luke Barnatt myself and can understand to some degree as to why he has that opinion of Conor. But then again he could be trying and get a bit of publicity himself out criticising Conor.

I think Conor's agent was found to be using shady means of getting Conor's twitter followers up, very quickly. It's not unheard of and could very well be true. He's hardly a clown for calling him out on it if it's true which he seems to think that he knows something we don't.

Show me the evidence of him buying followers and ill retract my abuse,I dont like barnatt anyways he thinks hes a top fighter for some reason dont rate him personally although I did admit he was robbed in berlin

xtal191 wrote: »
    To be fair theres no shame in losing to either Cub or the Korean Zombie, Poirier is still only 25 and I'm sure he learned a lot from both losses.

I agree them 2 are no eijits,point I was making Poirer isnt unbeatable the best fighters hes beaten is probably Koch or Corisani,I fully admit conor hasnt beaten anyone decent in the Ufc so far either,its neither here nor there anyways it should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

According to this he has 78% real followers.

https://www.twitteraudit.com/TheNotoriousMMA

Not as bad as some other fighters, Roy Nelson has 58%, Anderson Silva 56% and GSP 59%

According to this he has 78% real followers.

Not as bad as some other fighters, Roy Nelson has 58%, Anderson Silva 56% and GSP 59%

Ive 30 fake followers cant remember paying them to follow me Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ive 30 fake followers cant remember paying them to follow me Haha

if you havent posted for a month, it counts as a being a "fake" account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Just booked Vegas for Conor's fight!

Staying at the MGM too.

Will be amazing to be there & to see Jones v Gus 2 as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement