Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The WEC used to have higher weight classes though, they were just amalgamated into the UFC iirc. Simply weren't high profile or high enough quality to really class as a title unification.

This was a good while before the WEC merged into the UFC.

By the time WEC merged with the UFC, the only overlap with divisions was LW.

Pettis was due to fight the winner of Edgar v Maynard in a title unification fight but that fight ended a draw. So Pettis took a fight with Guida in the mean time and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭RoboRat

To say CW is a mickey mouse title is beyond ignorant, there are some excellent fighters in CW albeit not at the same level as the UFC.
    Cage warriors calling their champs world champions is a farce,no one thinks they are actual world champions as the standard is so poor.

The UFC belt is the world championship nothing else comes close,at best cage warriors is a european level belt at worst its a uk and Ireland title.

I agree with this however, its more of a third tier promotion and mainly for European fighters. I would say the tiers are the UFC number 1, head and shoulders above the rest. Then Bellator, WSOF on the second tier and then EFC and CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MrStuffins wrote: »
    By the time WEC merged with the UFC, the only overlap with divisions was LW.

Pettis was due to fight the winner of Edgar v Maynard in a title unification fight but that fight ended a draw. So Pettis took a fight with Guida in the mean time and lost.

I know, but my point was that the other WEC fighters did merge onto the UFC earlier but without unification bouts. Their WEC divisions were just absolved and most of the fighters signed by the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anone know if the videos of Conors two losses are anywhere online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Haven't read back through this thread, so this could already have been brought up,, but I wasn't massively impressed with Conor last week. At the fight live, I thought he was brilliant but when I watched it back the next day, i was shocked at how much he got hit. There was a head kick and a few right hands that landed flush, and he did well to take them, but a better fighter might have really had him in trouble. He looked noticably sucked in at the weigh ins aswell, especially in the face. He's only 26 aswell, so it's going to get much tougher for him.

Unfortunately, I could probably forsee one of these weight cuts really affecting him, and it could be the reason for a poor performance in the future, and he'd probably move upto 155. But hopefully not.

Poirier is an excellent test for him next. I think it's fair to say that Brimage, Holloway and Brandao were all very good match ups for Conor, but Poirier is very well rounded and can do it all.

• Advertisement

Anone know if the videos of Conors two losses are anywhere online?

Those losses are only myth's to give hope to opponents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I was at the event where he had his first loss, I think I was on the card also.

It was a leg lock to an Eastern European chap in a community hall. It was quite a while ago before cameras were common on phones so not sure if it was recorded at all, and its always better to have videos of you winning on the youtubes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

10501894_887858584615775_4210329802173247135_n.jpg?oh=17c297a97f283e423fd5f181e3ee6851&oe=5450AA4A

Anyone know where this is??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Gonna' hazard a guess and say Ireland. :pac:

I was at the event where he had his first loss, I think I was on the card also.

It was a leg lock to an Eastern European chap in a community hall. It was quite a while ago before cameras were common on phones so not sure if it was recorded at all, and its always better to have videos of you winning on the youtubes :)

ha thats true, I knew he lost the two of them by submission however was reading up this morning and didnt realise they were so quick, as within 30-40 seconds of the first round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Last loss was to Joe Duffy 4 years ago. It was over in seconds. It was before Cage Warriors began filming everything so unless someone had a good camera phone, I doubt it. You aren't gonna glean anything from it, though. He's a completely different fighter. I was there myself. Ais Daly fought in the card too.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/conor-mcgregor-mural-dublin-1588801-Jul2014/

TheJournal.ie says that mural is on Dublin’s Clanbrassil St by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I had a video of the Joe Duffy loss somewhere before. Can't remember where I got it. Will have a look around when I'm back at home.

edit -> Youtube doesn't work on this computer. Is this it?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yep, that's it but tbh, anyone who has trained for 4 years is a different fighter. It would be like video of Usain Bolt losing a school sports-day race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Yep, that's it but tbh, anyone who has trained for 4 years is a different fighter. It would be like video of Usain Bolt losing a school sports-day race.

Agreed. Even personally the me today would smoke the me of four years ago, and I never have trained as much as these guys or treated it as my profession.

Say you are training 5-6 hours a day Mon-Fri. in four years that's approx 6000 hours you have spent honing your craft.

Conor is known for spending way more than the average time in the gym and going in crazy hours in the middle of the night, so there is no doubt in my mind he has gone way over my averaged calculation of time spent on the matts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

dulux99 wrote: »
    Haven't read back through this thread, so this could already have been brought up,, but I wasn't massively impressed with Conor last week. At the fight live, I thought he was brilliant but when I watched it back the next day, i was shocked at how much he got hit. There was a head kick and a few right hands that landed flush, and he did well to take them, but a better fighter might have really had him in trouble. He looked noticably sucked in at the weigh ins aswell, especially in the face. He's only 26 aswell, so it's going to get much tougher for him.

Unfortunately, I could probably forsee one of these weight cuts really affecting him, and it could be the reason for a poor performance in the future, and he'd probably move upto 155. But hopefully not.

Poirier is an excellent test for him next. I think it's fair to say that Brimage, Holloway and Brandao were all very good match ups for Conor, but Poirier is very well rounded and can do it all.

No pleasing some people,didnt see him in one bit of trouble at any stage of that fight pure domination Conor has a serious good chin your going to get hit in any ufc fight its a given cant expect him to perform mayweather type defence tatics,his 3 ufc fights have been flawless imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

No pleasing some people,didnt see him in one bit of trouble at any stage of that fight pure domination Conor has a serious good chin your going to get hit in any ufc fight its a given cant expect him to perform mayweather type defence tatics,his 3 ufc fights have been flawless imo.

I have to admit, watching it on TV, the shots he took flush stood out for me aswell, however I think that was due to nerves, my nerves.

3 UFC fights 3 great wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

Mcgreggor is great, but i will eat my hat if he ever beats Jose Aldo

TrafficBug wrote: »

Thanks for letting us know..

Really putting your neck out there,good lad,the odds are stacked against him even getting a title shot never mind getting one and beating him,havent seen one person say hes going to beat aldo.

In fairness you mustn have watched aldo against lamas the last time because it was a bang average performance hes not unbeatable in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Thats me betting all my cash on Aldo anyway..thanks for that!

When did I say he was in trouble? All I said was that he was very open to being hit, and a more refined, powerful striker could put him in trouble.

dulux99 wrote: »
    When did I say he was in trouble? All I said was that he was very open to being hit, and a more refined, powerful striker could put him in trouble.

Its a contact sport,if he didnt get hit you'd be complaining hes fighting nobodys who cant hit him,if he gets hit then people complain hes liable to take a shot,its bound to happen I didnt see him getting tagged with anything significant whatsoever so dont know how you arent impressed absolutely wrecked brandao.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Diego is probably the hardest hitter Conor has faced in the UFC, I though Diego would put him away if he connected and he didn't Conor has a good chin

Its a contact sport,if he didnt get hit you'd be complaining hes fighting nobodys who cant hit him,if he gets hit then people complain hes liable to take a shot,its bound to happen I didnt see him getting tagged with anything significant whatsoever so dont know how you arent impressed absolutely wrecked brandao.

Haha alright pal, if you can't objectively take my point that he looked quite easy to hit, in an otherwise dominant performance, then there's no point even having more of a discussion.

@TheNotoriousMMA is up next on @MMAjunkieRadio talking about ‪#‎UFCDublin‬, a new book deal & ‪#‎UFC178‬!
    Tune in here: http://t.co/8FkKrrQRCN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Poirier gets hit a lot but has a very strong chin, no way is Conor KOing him anywhere near as easily as he has other guys if that's the route the fight goes.

As long as he can keep this on the feet for long periods and not get subbed I'd fancy Conor though. Poirier was caused trouble by Akira, Brandao and Holloway standing up previously, Conor is in a different league to them when standing up.

Poirier gets hit a lot but has a very strong chin, no way is Conor KOing him anywhere near as easily as he has other guys if that's the route the fight goes.

As long as he can keep this on the feet for long periods and not get subbed I'd fancy Conor though. Poirier was caused trouble by Akira, Brandao and Holloway standing up previously, Conor is in a different league to them when standing up.

The beautiful thing about the sport is you just dont know,conor could catch him with a peach and knock him out in the first round,and vice versa they both have good chins but people that can take a shot have been knocked out before wouldnt rule anything out in this fight although im hoping in expectation conor does the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

Our McGregor documentary is on RTE Player again (for another 16 days)

Full documentary - http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10305774/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement