Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Any chance of getting Seery or Holohan on the Fight Pass Prelim Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gatame wrote: »
    Anybody considering going over for this?

Strongly tempted... Completely financially impossible, but strongly tempted... :D

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Any chance of getting Seery or Holohan on the Fight Pass Prelim Card?

I was thinking the same. Probably too soon for Pendred after the beating he took, maybe the same for Seery.

Holohan finished quick though, he's an outside chance if they wanted to bump up the Irish feel on the undercard.

ASOT wrote: »
    Has anyone here gone to events in Vegas yet? Whats it like tickets wise? Think a few of us will be heading over for 3/4 days as its coming up the same priceish as another holiday we were looking at for them dates. How difficult would it be getting tickets for this?

I've done 2 in Vegas, both massive cards so tickets were hard to come by. Ticket prices are down since then I believe, and events rarely sell out. But if you're going to be spending the money on a Vegas trip, it would be worthwhile spending the extra few quid on a Fight Club membership to ensure best shot at the tickets you want. Be prepared to spend silly money though. Both events I went to I ended up paying nearly $300 for very average seats.

Get online now and book hotels. Should be good deals available and you can always cancel. The venue isn't set in stone yet as far as I know, MGM or Mandalay Bay. When I went to UFC 100 I booked up rooms in both places before they were confirmed, then cancelled the ones I didn't need. Ended up staying in The Hotel at Mandalay Bay, 2 of us for 4 nights for barely $400. That's about €35 a night when you convert and divide! Stunning hotel too.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Strongly tempted... Completely financially impossible, but strongly tempted... :D

Carpe Diem! #YOLO! Ah sure go on! :P

I was thinking the same. Probably too soon for Pendred after the beating he took, maybe the same for Seery.

Holohan finished quick though, he's an outside chance if they wanted to bump up the Irish feel on the undercard.

Yeah, I didn't mention Pendred as I think he probably needs a good bit of recovery before he can even train again at full effectiveness. I didn't think Seery looked too tarnished, and he's pushing on in years so I'd say he'd jump at the chance. Even after the fight he was talking about his punching being sloppy and that's the sign of a man eager to fight. I'd love to see Holohan again. I just think it'd be a smart move for the UFC to have any of the "lesser" Irish fighters on a card again soon. It'd help draw in any new fans in Ireland and cement the fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Pendred would have been considered seen as hes a bit more known in the U.S after being on tuf,Can see them keeping the other irish lads to european cards is there any before christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

If Poirer takes McGregor to the ground, I fear for him.
    Tricky customer from top position.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

darced wrote: »
    Then maybe Swanson before a title shot?

Swanson, Frankie or Mendes next I guess if he gets by Dustin.

Don't know if I fancy his chances vs any of those though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

mdwexford wrote: »

Should be title fights. At this stage of his career I would avoid those guys

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Next Tommy Toe Hold show looks good!

10488064_796610490389594_7290876887716924825_n.jpg

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »

I'd love to see a Bermudez vs McGregor fight for a bit of time stalling between fights depending on how their TheNotorious' and Bermudez' next fights go. Two sexy men? Aw yiss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

If Poirer takes McGregor to the ground, I fear for him.
    Tricky customer from top position.

This so called weakness of Conors is ridicilous he was submitted years ago 08 and 2010,completely difference fighter back then if you're using that against him you can say aldos weakness is bjj seen as he was submitted a few years ago

His striking is clearly his best attribute but I dont worry about his ground game at all his coach John Kavanagh had 4 fighters on the dublin card,3 won by submission and conor by TKO so I wouldnt be too worried about his BJJ hes getting coached by the right man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This so called weakness of Conors is ridicilous he was submitted years ago 08 and 2010,completely difference fighter back then if you're using that against him you can say aldos weakness is bjj seen as he was submitted a few years ago

His striking is clearly his best attribute but I dont worry about his ground game at all his coach John Kavanagh had 4 fighters on the dublin card,3 won by submission and conor by TKO so I wouldnt be too worried about his BJJ hes getting coached by the right man.

Exactly what you said. His training partner is Gunnar Nelson, one of the best BJJ artists in the business, albeit lacking in experience. Conor's striking is completely on-point, so he just needs to put in a few weeks of hard work on the ground with Gunni, keep the striking sharp, and he won't have too many problems with Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Poirier was just on Mondays MMA Hour.

He was talking quiet a bit on Conor.

This is a big task for him. He wins this convincingly, he might just get a title shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Keno wrote: »
    Poirier was just on Mondays MMA Hour.

He was talking quiet a bit on Conor.

This is a big task for him. He wins this convincingly, he might just get a title shot.

I think Mendes and Swanson deserve a shot first. I would have Conor next in line if he beats Poirier.

The only way he would get a title shot straight after Poirier would be if he absolutely wrecks him in devastating fashion.

It will however jump him up the rankings and he would be in the kind of spot where an injury to a title contender would leave him in with a shot of filling in.

Tickets on sale August 1st, ranging from $100 to $1000, (€75 - €750).

According to mmajunkie.com, Poirier vs McGregor may be the co-main event!

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/ufc-178-jones-vs-gustafsson-2-set-for-las-vegas-mgm-grand-garden-arena/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,191 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We don't even have to make assumptions like that (you're still right btw).
    There's more to grappling than wins by submission. Saturdays fight was on the ground for a decent portion, Diego is a solid grappler and Conor controlled him, passed his guard, defended multiple leg attacks. Eddie Bravo commented on his jits after the Holloway fight.
    But as with everything, Joe Public wi t take any notice until he subs somebody.
    The problem with McGregors ground game is that it was awful in his last defeat all be it four years ago,I'm sure it is very good now but obviously there are some doubts till he gets put on his back in a fight again.
    I'm sure you'll agree 4 years is long time in grappling - especially as you transition up the initial ranks.
    I know he got his purple belt >2 years ago. It's not unrealistic that he was a white belt when he list to Duffy, at best a recent blue belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Dustin 16-3-0 RECORD 15-2-0 Conor

44% KO/TKO 87%
    38% SUB 7%
    19% DEC 7%
    69 in HEIGHT 69 in
    145 lbs WEIGHT 145 lbs

SIGNIFICANT STRIKES
    4.45 LANDED PER MINUTE 4.55
    49.24% ACCURACY 38.82%
    3.13 ABSORBED P/M 2.18
    57.09% DEFENSE 71.79%

GRAPPLING
    1.41 TAKEDOWN AVERAGE 3.71
    31.43% TAKEDOWN ACCURACY 83.33%
    63.64% TAKEDOWNS DEFENDED 100%
    1.67 SUBMISSION AVERAGE 000

Dustin on left, Conor on the Right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

The problem with McGregors ground game is that it was awful in his last defeat all be it four years ago,I'm sure it is very good now but obviously there are some doubts till he gets put on his back in a fight again.

Remember Gunnar went to America to improve his ground game and get his blackbelt and conor has not made that leap so you just hope Conor has came up to his level rolling with him everyday,in reality that is how you get better at jiu jitsu

Four years ago is a long time in grappling. Gunni got his BB in four years and others have too albeit be it a rare occurrence. Conors grappling is strong and certainly not a weakness, and he is an excellent purple belt. He trains with other SBG black belts, browns and purples on a daily basis, not only Gunnar.

Gunni was graded up to brown belt by John Kavanagh, and considers him his main coach. I think Conor is in more than safe hands right where he is. Comparing someone's abilities as a white belt to when they are a purple belt is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Conor's ground game is not a weakness. I've seen him roll with Gunnar and hang with him every step of the way and it wasn't just a once off either. He more than holds his own against one of the most technical grapplers I've ever seen, day in, day out. Expecting Poirier to automatically have a huge advantage out of the gate isn't just idle speculation, it's just plain wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

srumball wrote: »
    Dustin 16-3-0 RECORD 15-2-0 Conor

44% KO/TKO 87%
    38% SUB 7%
    19% DEC 7%
    69 in HEIGHT 69 in
    145 lbs WEIGHT 145 lbs

SIGNIFICANT STRIKES
    4.45 LANDED PER MINUTE 4.55
    49.24% ACCURACY 38.82%
    3.13 ABSORBED P/M 2.18
    57.09% DEFENSE 71.79%

GRAPPLING
    1.41 TAKEDOWN AVERAGE 3.71
    31.43% TAKEDOWN ACCURACY 83.33%
    63.64% TAKEDOWNS DEFENDED 100%
    1.67 SUBMISSION AVERAGE 000

Dustin on left, Conor on the Right

Are those stats just from the UFC because if they are they're totally unquantifiable. Dustin has had 10 fights and Conor has only had 3. Hardly a fair sample range to go by..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Are those stats just from the UFC because if they are they're totally unquantifiable. Dustin has had 10 fights and Conor has only had 3. Hardly a fair sample range to go by..

No. Don't mean to sound like an ass, but did you even read it? The first line makes it pretty obvious that they are overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Conor Subbed Dave Hill (who is a submission fighter) to win the Cage Warriors Featherweight title. That was over two years ago now, watch that and tell me Conor ground game is a weakness. He is on a different level now to then.

Ah sher wrestling is nothing but a Wizzer these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

No. Don't mean to sound like an ass, but did you even read it? The first line makes it pretty obvious that they are overall.

No some are just UFC. Conor has scored a sub win and has been taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conor Subbed Dave Hill (who is a submission fighter) to win the Cage Warriors Featherweight title. That was over two years ago now, watch that and tell me Conor ground game is a weakness. He is on a different level now to then.

People will still keep there head in the sand and just say his ground game is terrible because of losses four years ago, theres no point even trying to explain it anymore!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement