Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Allowing them to use calculators is the issue. My two at home cant do simple maths in their heads either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Today: plan called for 4 miles recovery, as I'm playing squash tomorrow I decided to switch the days around and I did tomorrow's in today.

Had a hour of one on one yoga and was wrecked after it, jezus it feckin tough and afterwards I ended up doing 6.2 miles easy around the pitches in Dangan. I was in sh1te form, tired, cranky, contrary and generally moaney, hated every minute of this and the company I had for 4 miles will probably never run with me again!

While I'm at it I might as well get in a mini Rant: what the fok is wrong with young wans/lads behind cash registers these days!!

Bought some paracetamol and ibuprofen in a chemist and it came to €10.53, I handed the young wan a twenty and she rang it into the till: change €9.47. I found a one euro coin and preferring a tenner in the change I handed it to her and explained that I wanted a ten in the change. Jezus, you should have seen the look on her face, you'd think I was holding the joint up at gun point! She muttered something and then called over another young wan and they had a conflab in a little huddle. One of them pulled out their mobile and started tapping away, showed it to the other wan and she handed me my change, apologising, saying "me maths ain't great!"

What are they teaching kids in school!!!

I'm off to bed.

TbL

Nice running & even nicer ranting ;) Good to see you living up to the name - hope bed improves your form ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sounds like your suffering from a bad case of BRDWS* TbL, you'd want to keep an eye on that, can be quiet serious!!!

*BRDWS(Boards Running Dates Withdrawal Symptoms).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

tang1 wrote: »
    Sounds like your suffering from a bad case of BRDWS* TbL, you'd want to keep an eye on that, can be quiet serious!!!

*BRDWS(Boards Running Dates Withdrawal Symptoms).

or else just a simple case of COMS...:p hope you're back to you usual witty self tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I'd be more worried bout a 6page essay on a4 mile run :)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

ultraman1 wrote: »

Haha, I'll probably crash the Internet ala Kim Kardissians arse with the tome I'll write if I ever go sub 3!!! The offer still stands to proof read your posts or ghost write your race reports :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ultraman1 wrote: »

We'd all be worried if you did 6 LINES! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

ger664 wrote: »
    Allowing them to use calculators is the issue. My two at home cant do simple maths in their heads either.

Not even 9+1?

Yesterday: plan called for a 4 mile Nursing Home Special. I had an hour of PT, strength & core, she said my strength was getting better but I was nowhere near where I should be with the core work! Shortly afterwards I played 50 mins of squash that had me wrecked so I canned the run and retired to the couch with a pack of Buffalo flavoured honky dorys. They're grand when you're eating them but a blast of buffalo repeating burps would have one wondering what sort of ****e is actually in them and forced the missus of the couch (must remember to keep a pack handy when moving the missus of the couch was the actual plan :))

Today: plan called for 6 miles easy, weather today is shocking and with the summer almost at an end I can't remember a full weekend of sunshine! Glad to be heading off to some heat & sun on Monday! Got 6 very easy miles done.

I'm looking to race a half in Sept/Oct and was considering the Athlone flatline or Charlieville, was leaning towards Charlieville, anyone done both and got a recommendation? Tnx.

TbL

Glad to be heading off to some heat & sun on Monday! Got 6 very easy miles done.

I'm looking to race a half in Sept/Oct and was considering the Athlone flatline or Charlieville, was leaning towards Charlieville, anyone done both and got a recommendation? Tnx.

TbL

you coming to Dublin again so? beautiful weather up here today :p

I've done Athlone but it was 23 degrees last year so it was a total sufferfest, I remember thinking how they're allowed to call it 'flatline' its not pancake flat but then I suppose where is :) it was very well organised, they had lots of pacers but support out on the course was thin on the ground. Hopefully a proper runner has done it and can give you a better idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Race series - Dublin HM. It's where all the cool people are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Haven't done both TbL but did Charleville last year and I couldn't see there being a faster course anywhere in Ireland. It's as pancake flat as you are going to find. Great depth at around the level you are at so it's difficult to get isolated anywhere too. It's a cracking race and the organisation is top notch.

Haven't done both TbL but did Charleville last year and I couldn't see there being a faster course anywhere in Ireland. It's as pancake flat as you are going to find. Great depth at around the level you are at so it's difficult to get isolated anywhere too. It's a cracking race and the organisation is top notch.

Cheers NE, that's good enough for me, just signed up. Charlieville it is!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I would totally agree with NE here. Good choice.

Today: plan called for 10 miles steady. Was told to do these at 7.50-8.10 pace, weather dependent.

Got dropped of at Tully Church and ran home. Traffic was very heavy and makes running on that road a pain in the arse.

Happy enough except for the last 2 miles that are mainly uphill and where the effort levels increased.

1. 7.58
    2. 7.48
    3. 7.48
    4. 7.47
    5. 7.51
    6. 7.44
    7. 8.07
    8. 7.56
    9. 8.15
    10. 8.06

TbL

Monday: plan called for 3 miles recovery. Travelling on holiday so got no run in.

Tuesday: plan called for 6 miles easy. Hiroshima like sunburn coupled with copious mosquito bites in the most unusual of places left me in no humour to run, o retired to the air con with the after sun.

Today: plan called for 2 mile wu/cd with 5 x 1k off 3 mins recovery. This auld bogger doesn't do sun holidays very well, it's 35 degrees, I'm leaking sweat like the Irish water network leaks drinking water, we're in accommodation that you couldn't swing a cat in coz the fooker would die of claustrophobia the minute you brought him in the door and to top it all off the place is full of bloody foreigners :)

I decided to try and give myself another day to acclimatise and postpone the session till tomorrow, got out at 10.30pm (it was still nearly 30•) and got 3.2 miles done very easy.

Ba humbug to holidays it's gonna be hard to get any quality done!

TbL

Think you're best to just go with the flow & get in what you can - you don't want to be getting cranky on your holidays now, do you ??

kit3 wrote: »
    Think you're best to just go with the flow & get in what you can - you don't want to be getting cranky on your holidays now, do you ??

You're probably right Kit, I'd say I'm driving the clan daft, was messing with them in the pool today and the missus held me under the water for an inordinate length of time, didn't look to apologetic either, when I finally came up blue in the face :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Late to the Charleville/Athlone party!!
    Having done Athlone it's a fast course and the fact it has 1:25 pacers swings it for me. (well ok; that and the fact I am going to the Andy Lee fight the night before Charleville).
    I'll still be able to get the early train back to Dublin to watch Tyrone in the All Ireland the day after the Lee fight. The only question is whether it'll be the Dubs or Mayo in the final :) Charleville would leave that a bit too tight.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Having done Athlone it's a fast course and the fact it has 1:25 pacers swings it for me. (well ok; that and the fact I am going to the Andy Lee fight the night before Charleville).
    I'll still be able to get the early train back to Dublin to watch Tyrone in the All Ireland the day after the Lee fight. The only question is whether it'll be the Dubs or Mayo in the final :) Charleville would leave that a bit too tight.

You away in the sun too then - watch that heat stroke - can lead to serious delusions :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You away in the sun too then - watch that heat stroke - can lead to serious delusions :p

I actually know a fella who refused tickets to the lee fight because all his Tyrone buddies would be down in Dublin the night before the final :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Multiple delusions
    1. that the Lee fight will be worth spending hard earned cash on
    2. that the Tyrone lads won't be on the holidays in September

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Think you're best to just go with the flow & get in what you can - you don't want to be getting crankier on your holidays now, do you ??

FYP

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    FYP

Thought I'd try the gentle approach since he's on holidays ;)

Yesterday: was supposed to do the session but another day of sun and a severe lightening storm last night meant no running again. Am getting a little perturbed by missus TbL's attitude, she was positively encouraging me to go out in the deluge and lightening!!! Pity any poor fooker in a tent last night as they'd have needed Noah's ark to survive the night.

Today: managed to get out just after 11pm to get the session in. Was sweating bullets after a few paces. Decided to only do 1k warm up and I decided to plod on and see how many of the 1k reps I could do. The pace was 4.00/4.10, off 3 mins recovery. Recovery was generous but I knew I'd struggle this early in the cycle with that pace in the heat.

Considered stopping after 3, then 4 and had to stop after 260m of the last rep for an ice cream puke :)

1. 4.10
    2. 4.06
    3. 4.13
    4. 4.20
    5. 4.31 (running time )

Only got in .5k cd.

Found that inordinately tough and it's just as well that there's 18 weeks to target marathon.

In other news, I'm now a certified auld codger. I've finally succumbed and bought a pair of Croc things, twasn't by choice, my cool hipster Billabong sandals from the 80's finally passed away and the only thing the local shop had that fit me were those awful auld man Crocs. I was tempted to wear my work shoes to the beach :)

TbL

Pictures of the crocs or we don't believe it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

menoscemo wrote: »

cough, cough , splutter... any other delusions you'd like to share with us, Meno? :pac:

Pictures of the crocs or we don't believe it ;)

There you go Kit, although I told a white lie, they're not Crocs (I'm too mean to pay for them!), I thinks they're Crocks the Chinese knock off equivalent :)

TbL

Yesterday: plan called for 1m wu/cd followed by 5 miles @ 7.30/7.40 pace. Real busy day yesterday so ended up with another unwanted rest day.

Today: plan called for 14 miles easy. Although it was a bit cooler today I didn't think I'd get the time to get this done so I decided to do yesterday's run instead.

It was cloudy on the warm up but the sun soon broke through. I thought I'd manage this run reasonably handily but it went pear shaped. I ended up stopping after 2.4 miles for a 90 second break as I was cooking. Head felt like a firecracker. Couldn't even manage the 5th mile. Come backs are frustrating and disheartening and I'm a long, long away from where I was only a couple of months ago but I gotta solider on!

1. 7.31
    2. 7.37
    3. 8.42 (excluding the stop!)
    4. 8.11

TbL

• Advertisement

you'll get there tho, its hard working running on holidays, in the heat when your needed elsewhere so give yourself a break ( :) )

Advertisement