Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice to see you back on the road again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fair fux, great to be far enough out the other side of the injury to be setting the next goal, or rather getting back to it. You seem to have been very sensible and conservative in the rehabilitation stage which isn't always the case around here. Any insights into what caused the injury and how to minimise the risk of reoccurrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Morning,

Ok so keep us updated on the decision process.

Valencia 4 months, 5 days and one hour - 15th Nov?

http://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/en/marathon/marathon10k/

San Sebastian 142 days, 10 mins. So Nov 29th.

http://www.maratondonostia.com/english.asp

Both look great. San S all about the tshirt, ooohhhhhhhhh. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    Morning,

Ok so keep us updated on the decision process.

Valencia 4 months, 5 days and one hour - 15th Nov?

http://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/en/marathon/marathon10k/

San Sebastian 142 days, 10 mins. So Nov 29th.

http://www.maratondonostia.com/english.asp

Both look great. San S all about the tshirt, ooohhhhhhhhh. Can't wait.

ah jaysus, its too early for maths calculations, could you not have put both of them in months or both of them in days!! :D

just saw the SS t-shirt & medal, definitely worth doing for that alone..

edit: Valencia has a half marathon too *cough cough* just sayin like :p

This could be really great. Both described as fast and flat. Watching the route video now on SS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ha TbL, did you realise you were bringing your own cheerleading squad? :p

annapr wrote: »

Cheerleading? Sure he'll have about an hour to find us on the course and then cheer us home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

annapr wrote: »

Looks like I've been volunteered for BARF (Boards Annual Running Festival) :)

Both Valencia and SS are class cities and the marathon in Valencia is top notch.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Catching up here on the Dart home - there was me thinking I was going to have a quiet, under the radar, solo weekend in San Seb :rolleyes: - 2:30 pacers in San Seb, cider and hundreds of Michelin stars :)

Today: plan called for 6 miles easy.

Had a very tough workout on the squash court at lunch time, so much so that I was very close to canning the run. Sat in my car half way up Seanadh Pheistin, with half my gear on watching the rain bounce off the windscreen for 20 mins before I finally got my ass in gear.

Started off very slow but finished strong enough, only did 5 miles coz of the delay in getting out.

Gonna do my 12 mile "long run" tomorrow and hopefully I'll make a bit more progress and hit a sub 8.40 average.

TbL

• Advertisement

weekend in San Seb - pacers in San Seb, cider and hundreds of Michelin stars

All of my favourite things. This just gets better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Basque food is amazing. Also agree on the cider , very tasty and I'm not normally a cider drinker.

Not sure all that eating and drinking is conducive to running a fast marathon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Hey TbL, glad to see the recovery going well.

I had an interesting chat with a bird who very nearly made me cry while sticking thing in my butt. While doing this, she only talked about you.... You may know her as Tricia :D

Haha Marty,

You're in capable hands Marty, she's very very good, and I'm glad I left a lasting impression ;)

Hope she sorted you out

TbL

Today: the plan called for a 12 mile "long run".

Jezus the weather here was atrocious, ended up bringing the kids to Jurassic World in the cinema to try and keep the peace. Film was crap and you'd need a NAMA sized loan to pay for the popcorn and drinks!

Not great preparation for this run and I only decided to do it at the last minute, finished a 3 course meal in Furbo and 10 mins later the missus had dropped me off in Inverin and I started to wobble my way home through the wind. Nearly chucked a couple of times.

Pace was slow but not bothered as I've 17/18 weeks to target marathon and I finished it a bit stronger than the 12 miler two weeks ago.

Average pace was 8.37, last two miles were very slow but that was more down to the wind and the hills!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Jesus A, you're getting as puerile as the rest of us :)

Yep AMK was the original flame but his head was turned by a previous poster here, CianC!

I've certainly seen a frisbee before but I've never seen a frisbee "team" training until last April when I was jogging around the pitch laughing my ass of at the college kids practicing their "sport" in the pissing rain :)

Best of luck tonight Tang

TbL

Feeling so proud....I'd like to think that I helped with this progression:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Feeling so proud....I'd like to think that I helped with this progression:D

i will definitely give you all the blame credit :p

Today: as I'm travelling tomorrow I took the opportunity to met up with Coach this evening in the PP at the papal cross car park.

He turned up on a fancy bike and some fancy coloured running gear. I'm seriously concerned that his foray into track has caused him to fall further from the fold and try tri :) He must have seen my look coz he reassured me that he hadn't done a "Career Move"!!!

Hadn't seen the man in months and it was great to see him and get the magical mystery tours up and running today. Was told that a gentle reintroduction was called for and we were going to focus on leg turnover so after a 2 mile warm up we started on 200m reps with a very generous recovery.

Found this harder than I'd care to admit and the last few metres of each rep pinched a bit.

3 miles easy and 12 x 200m.

Got the outline of my plan for the next few weeks and it looks interesting, challenging and a good bit different in approach to the last cycle so if I can keep the body healthy it looks like Thunderbirds are Go!!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hope you didn't get locked in this time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bitterly (see what I did there!) disappointed you were in town and shunned us mortals for your fancy coach :D

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Hope you didn't get locked in this time! :)

Haha TJ, I actually remembered that and asked L what time the feckers locked the unsuspecting in!!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Bitterly (see what I did there!) disappointed you were in town and shunned us mortals for your fancy coach :D

Hey FD, I be afraid you'd poke the belly off me with those lethal elbows of yours, forgot my ear muffs so couldn't run with AQuinn, and either Murph is playing hard to get or Anna won't let him out to play :)

TbL

Ooh, what a spoofer. My phone never rang at all today. I'll never be able to compete with a younger guy in lycra. Sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Did coach show you his furry glen ;) he's will known for that around the park :)

Did he take you up the Khyber :)

I'll stop now :)

Did coach show you his furry glen ;) he's will known for that around the park :)

Did he take you up the Khyber :)

I'll stop now :)

No but he did say the last time ye were running there together that you wanted to show him the Emmet Stagg way, and in my bogger naivety I thought this was a stretch of road in the park ;)

TbL

Plan today called for 4 miles easy.

Am in Copenhagen today and most of tomorrow and I managed to get out around 6 local time. Didn't spend any time researching a route and ended up just heading out from the hotel and making it up as I went along.

Got a bit lost on the way back and ended up doing 5.41 miles very easy.

If I can get up early enough tomorrow I'll try and find a different route for my mini session.

TbL

Today: plan called for mile wu, some dynamic stretching, followed by 8 x 5 minutes @ HM pace off 90 sec recovery, with a mile cool down.

Left the curtains in the hotel room open so I'd wake nice and early to get this one done. Was fairly apprehensive about this as Ive only one 7.5x mile to my name in 3 months! Last cycle my HM pace was circa 6.30, but obviously I'm a fair bit off that at the moment so I was told to go with 7.10-7.20 and see how it felt.

There was a strong wing blowing this morning but I managed to find a relatively flat and straight pathway where the wind was blowing crossways.

Got the mile warm up done and did the stretches and started on the first block, after .2 mile I saw the pace was 6.31 and pulled it back as I knew I'd be goosed if I tried to maintain that pace. Happy enough with the session except for the second last block where I mentally faded. Was tired afterwards but happy enough, as it's another step back to form. finished with a mile very very slow jog. Paces below for each 5 min block.

1. 6.52
    2. 6.50
    3. 6.56
    4. 6.54
    5. 7.02
    6. 6.56
    7. 7.09
    8. 6.47

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice work, C. Glad to see you getting back to doing some pacier runs pain free..........well other than the Auld Age pains which I assume like me you just take them as a given :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice going C, theres plenty of speed in those legs yet.

...I was told to go with 7.10-7.20 and see how it felt....

Still great at following instructions, I see! Nice run. :)

• Advertisement

Today: plan called for 4 miles recovery, as I'm playing squash tomorrow I decided to switch the days around and I did tomorrow's in today.

Had a hour of one on one yoga and was wrecked after it, jezus it feckin tough and afterwards I ended up doing 6.2 miles easy around the pitches in Dangan. I was in sh1te form, tired, cranky, contrary and generally moaney, hated every minute of this and the company I had for 4 miles will probably never run with me again!

While I'm at it I might as well get in a mini Rant: what the fok is wrong with young wans/lads behind cash registers these days!!

Bought some paracetamol and ibuprofen in a chemist and it came to €10.53, I handed the young wan a twenty and she rang it into the till: change €9.47. I found a one euro coin and preferring a tenner in the change I handed it to her and explained that I wanted a ten in the change. Jezus, you should have seen the look on her face, you'd think I was holding the joint up at gun point! She muttered something and then called over another young wan and they had a conflab in a little huddle. One of them pulled out their mobile and started tapping away, showed it to the other wan and she handed me my change, apologising, saying "me maths ain't great!"

What are they teaching kids in school!!!

I'm off to bed.

TbL

Advertisement