Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Was to attempt my "long run" today, 6.5 miles in about an hour.

Was gonna do it this morning but was been eaten alive out in the garden by small cannibals otherwise known as midgets by the Connys (midges!). Decided to put the run off till this evening and headed off over Seanadh Pheistin in glorious sunshine.

Found the whole thing a bit of a struggle, decided to try and test the auld Diesel engine and do a "fast" mile. Took advantage of a good downhill and my recently acquired belly overhang to get some forward momentum going and try and do a sub 8 min mile. Felt like I was running through jam and was all over the place finishing it in 7.54! Felt worse than some of last nights beer milers looked :)

Got 6.51 miles done in 58.34.

TbL

Ya fecker, i can't believe you're making such good progress!! Genuinely fair play, i hope you'll be back at full pelt in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Plan = 6.5 miles in about an hour
    Actual = 6.51 miles in 58:34

Result = Success

Glad to hear no mention of soreness/aches ect. Don't be throwing in random tests off the cuff until you get go ahead from physio/coach.
    Who am I to be giving advice to you, I'll get my coat :D

Tnx Marty, got a different orthotic (less severe correction that the first one) that I was told to wear on "longer runs" while I use the original one for all other runs. Still not fully better but definitely going in them right direction. See you at the Streets.
    Ya fecker, i can't believe you're making such good progress!! Genuinely fair play, i hope you'll be back at full pelt in no time.

Tnx T, the last 10 days have seen drastic improvement and I'm delighted coz I was starting to get seriously depressed (and fat). I've lots of "maintenance" to do on the feet after every run but if it keeps me running I'll happily keep it up! I'm really wary of trying anything fast, even a couple of strides at this stage, but if the foot keeps incrementally improving I should be back doing some reasonable sessions in a few weeks. Got my plan for the next few weeks and it's mainly easy miles with some tempo stuff on a cross trainer. It's been a frustrating 10 weeks with a few false dawns, and a fortune spent on massage, physio, consultants and a Connemara witch doctor but hopefully I'm on the way back :) How are you doing with your own recovery?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Plan = 6.5 miles in about an hour
    Actual = 6.51 miles in 58:34
    I'd be delighted with this run so you truly should be, especially after 10 weeks off, I did this last week and was v smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Was to attempt my "long run" today, 6.5 miles in about an hour.

Was gonna do it this morning but was been eaten alive out in the garden by small cannibals otherwise known as midgets by the Connys (midges!). Decided to put the run off till this evening and headed off over Seanadh Pheistin in glorious sunshine.

Found the whole thing a bit of a struggle, decided to try and test the auld Diesel engine and do a "fast" mile. Took advantage of a good downhill and my recently acquired belly overhang to get some forward momentum going and try and do a sub 8 min mile. Felt like I was running through jam and was all over the place finishing it in 7.54! Felt worse than some of last nights beer milers looked :)

Got 6.51 miles done in 58.34.

TbL

Are they not the most evil b1stards !!! They simply love me :mad:

Good to see you getting back TBL (THL ? ) - think there's a lot left in that auld diesel engine yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I see your misses fraped you on boards the other night

THL (The Hot Lemon)

Great to see you back

• Advertisement

Monday: today was to be the first day back on a plan for the next marathon cycle. The next few weeks are mainly easy runs to get back into the swing of things before we get more specific.

The plan was for 40 mins easy. I had run for almost an hour in Sunday (my longest run in weeks) and when I got up on Monday the foot was a bit sore. Put off the run till the evening and did 3.5 miles in around 33 mins around the pitches in Dangan. No sign of the archery club out practicing so I didn't have to dodge any wayward arrows!

Tuesday: plan was for 20 x 2 mins easy off 30 seconds. Decided to can this and give the foot a chance to calm down. Had a PT session focusing on core and strength. One of the exercises had me in a crouch on my feet and hands, I had to shuffle forward and reach down and pull a weight along behind me by sliding it forward. Looked simple but it had me in a hoop. Felt like I was in the middle of the preliminaries for the Worlds Strongest Geriatric Man competition :)

Wednesday: plan called for 55 mins easy. Was heading to London for the rest of the week so got this done nice and early this morning over Seanadh Pheistin. Foot held up nicely and I got 6.21 miles done in 54 mins.

Got into another airport type sprint with another traveller today in Gatwick. There's a walkway "tunnel" at the terminal that brings you directly to the hotel reception. It was very busy and the frequent travellers know to move quick or you'll be delayed at check in. Got into a bit of a competitive speed walking with a bald, beady eyed bastard, as I got up along side him he sped up, I upped it so did he, I picked up my bag so I could move faster and the bollix almost broke into a trot. I started to feign a limp to play the auld man invalid card but to no avail.

His sweaty fcuk you grin at reception soon turned to a scowl as I pulled out the hotel loyalty card and jumped the queue :)

It's the simple pleasures that keep you sane while travelling!

TbL

Thursday & Friday: was preparing for a meeting almost through the night on Wednesday and was pretty wrecked on Thursday. Did toe yoga shoeless under the table for hours as the meetings went on all day and by the time I got back to the hotel the toes wanted to go to bed. Obeyed the toes, so no run. Had an early morning meeting on Friday and a combination of fatigue and a delayed flight saw my mojo wane and I again took the easy option of an early night.

Saturday: plan called for 40 mins easy. Got 3 miles easy done and I decided to throw in a few auld man strides. Did 6 strides of between 60-80 metres and so far (fingers and toes crossed!) the foot is holding up. Set the Garmin to pace for the strides and was happy, if a little surprised to see the pace come in under 5.30 for them all.

Tomorrow was supposed to be a rest day but given the two missed days I'll go out for more easy miles.

Hopefully not travelling at all next week and I'm going to see if I can push on a bit and do some (short) faster drills.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good stuff TbL, glad theres signs of improvement for you.

tang1 wrote: »
    Good stuff TbL, glad theres signs of improvement for you.

Thanks Tang,

I now know how you must have felt when you were out with your hips!

I'll be doing a few trips up the motorway to the Pale over the next few weeks and by then I should be up to medium/slow so should be perfect time for our running date :) Will I have to detour far off the motorway to find you?

TbL

Thanks Tang,

I now know how you must have felt when you were out with your hips!

I'll be doing a few trips up the motorway to the Pale over the next few weeks and by then I should be up to medium/slow so should be perfect time for our running date :) Will I have to detour far off the motorway to find you?

TbL

Jaysis i feel privileged, at last a running date!! I'm 5mins from Enfield, i could meet you there & do few miles along the canal if that suits you?

• Advertisement

Jaysis i feel privileged, at last a running date!! I'm 5mins from Enfield, i could meet you there & do few miles along the canal if that suits you?

It's a date. You're not allergic to flowers are you :)

I'll pm you.

TbL

I'll pm you.

TbL

I only like Juliet Roses, so no cheap rubbish! Drop us a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'll pm you.

TbL
    I only like Juliet Roses, so no cheap rubbish! Drop us a pm.

Get a room :P

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Get a room :P

Jealousy gets you nowhere M!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

If you're up on regular trips to Dublin now would happily grab a run with you (whilst you're at your slow pace I might just hang on ;) ) Can discuss the other stuff over a run if you'd like.

Can discuss the other stuff over a run if you'd like.

:eek: are we talking 'extras' here ? You'll need a permanent room the way you're going TBL ;)

I can just imagine - rub downs, rolling, body glide, gel ....

If you're up on regular trips to Dublin now would happily grab a run with you (whilst you're at your slow pace I might just hang on ;) ) Can discuss the other stuff over a run if you'd like.

Tnx PM,

I'll definitely take you up on that offer and thanks for that stuff today.

TbL
    kit3 wrote: »
    :eek: are we talking 'extras' here ? You'll need a permanent room the way you're going TBL ;)

I can just imagine - rub downs, rolling, body glide, gel ....

Haha Kit,

The TbL mobile home/ boudoir is hitting the road again!

Who do you think PM was wearing the pink tutu at the beer mile for :)

TbL

Today: was to be a rest day but given that I'd missed 2 days during the week I decided to head out for a "long run".

Thought I was clipping along at a reasonable pace around mile 3 but when I looked at the watch, 8.58 pace! The last 4 miles were an awful slog, not coz of the foot but the lower back started to stiffen up and was fairly uncomfortable. Auld age is a b1tch!!

Got 9 miles done in 1.23:46, average 9.18.

Off to find a stretching rack!

TbL

Today: did a good old fashioned 3 mile Nursing Home Special very easy.

Had a badly needed massage today and it ironed out some of the niggles.

Headed up a small and narrow boreen near the house, about half a mile up I could see a herd of cows, and from the trail they were leaving behind them they were on the beer & kebabs for the weekend. :) Despite a combination of weaving, hopscotch and mini long jumping I ended up with shoes covered in sh1te!

Didn't bother with a watch and the foot felt really good and although tonight's pace was very slow I thought it would give me a bit of grief after yesterday's "long run".

After consultation with coach I'm going to give Achill a miss. I'm going to put the head down, drop the weight and get a few decent weeks in while trying to work in some faster stuff.

TbL

Good move on Achill at this stage. There's a second one on there at the end of August - fairly tough course though (UM1 once described it as a 'psycho' course ;)

• Advertisement

Good move on Achill at this stage. There's a second one on there at the end of August - fairly tough course though (UM1 once described it as a 'psycho' course ;)

Is there another half in Achill in August Kit? Never heard of it, did Norman Bates run it? ;)

TbL

Is there another half in Achill in August Kit? Never heard of it, did Norman Bates run it? ;)

TbL

It's the Achill Ultra - 13.1 mile course x3. Also includes a full & half - UM1 was second in the ultra last year - can't link on the phone but google Achill ultra should do it

Should have added - spectacular course, expertly measured ;)

Today the plan called for 45 mins easy run.

I had a strength and core session today and although she said I was getting stronger (she wasn't likely to say I was regressing!) but I don't really see it yet however I'm going to stick with it once a week for the summer. Was completely wrecked after today's hour session and it's incredible the cumulative effect a few simple looking exercises can have on you.

Headed over to the grass pitches in Dangan after work and trundled around nice and handy. 4 days in a row running and the foot seems to be holding up so hopefully it'll be Thunderbirds are Go, soon.

Got 5 miles done in around 9.15 pace.

TbL

Today I was supposed to do 50 mins tempo on the spin bike or cross trainer.

Coach away on holidays didn't want to bother him and besides it was too nice a day to be stuck indoors so I hit the UCG track for some sort of "speed/tempo" session. My program was to be approached on a day to day basis so I decided to try a couple of 400m reps and if I felt any grief from the foot I'd pull back immediately.

Got a short warm up done and hit the track, had in my mind that 100 seconds would be a reasonable return to the track after such a layoff.

Hit the first rep in 1.31, thought this was too fast so decided to walk first 100 metres and slow jog the 300 metres back to the start as recovery (kept this up as my recovery between reps)

The second rep was very consistent another 1.31, the third I dropped a second to 1.32.

Decided to push it out slightly for what I decided should be the last rep and managed the fourth in 1.25.

Very happy with that, recoveries were long but I didn't expect to hit those sort of rep paces.

Short cool down and total of 4 miles for the day.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I'd take it you enjoy that!! I'd imagine it was a nice feeling to stretch the legs after a rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

It's the Achill Ultra - 13.1 mile course x3. Also includes a full & half - UM1 was second in the ultra last year - can't link on the phone but google Achill ultra should do it
    Great race tbl,nice athmosphere and great,but tuff,scenic route..

I'd take it you enjoy that!! I'd imagine it was a nice feeling to stretch the legs after a rest!

Absofeckinlutely T, amazing what a couple of 400m's can do for ones mindset, I was buzzin after it coz it was unplanned and unexpected.

I've had false dawns before but really hoping to build on this now, gonna ask coach to regig the plan to incorporate some track for the next couple of weeks. I've been told that strengthening the ligaments in the foot is a long term process but the feeling after yesterday's run makes it worth it!

How are you doing?

TbL

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Great race tbl,nice athmosphere and great,but tuff,scenic route..

Is it a different course than the one held on 4th July UM, I found that kinda hilly!!

TbL

• Advertisement

Is it a different course than the one held on 4th July UM, I found that kinda hilly!!

TbL

It's a different course. I've done both and found this one hillier. It's near the start of the Island around the Atlantic Drive - very spectacular. Garmin link taken from their website.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/355456631

Website - http://www.achillultra.com/achill-marathon/route.php

Advertisement