Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Tnx Aquinn, so I'm not the only one counting down the days :)

Was in Milan during the week at the Milan World Expo and I spent a full day on my feet, walking around the different areas. Foot started acting up again and it now looks like it'll be another week before I make a slow return.

Didn't get much done this week cardio wise (I ate like I was carb loading for a marathon in Milan).

Had a PT session today that included the rowing machine, weights and boxing, I was knackered after it, cardio obviously not where it was and I need to do more of this.

Seeing the physio this evening and hopefully I get some good news, dying to get back into it.

During the week I was stretching/toe yoga'ing to this song:

http://youtu.be/irwrVcDTH54

I thought the beat sounded energetic, would get the blood pumping, break up the monotony and encourage me to exercise! Didn't pay much attention to the lyrics until the missus asked "did he just say what I think he said?" I googled the lyrics and let's just say it encourages blood pumping "exercise" alright :)

TbL

Today: a return of sorts [maybe]

Was at the physio yesterday and while she was confident that the stress fracture had healed pretty well she was more concerned by the tendons in the toes, especially the one beside the big toe. To cut a long story short she agreed that I could go out and do a brisk walk followed by 10 x 30 seconds very slow jog off 30 seconds brisk walk, witha walk cool down!
    Was both looking forward to, and apprehensive about this.

After about 8 mins of a walk I got into "faster" stuff, immediately I could feel the toe starting to complain, the gripping action with the toes on the push off was irritating the toe to the extent that it was noticeably uncomfortable. It didn't get any worse so I finished the 10 thirty second reps.

Happy to be at least back out on the road but TBH, I'm a bit pissed off that after 6 weeks with no running that the tendon hasn't completely healed.

I've to continue with this running routine and the toe exercises until Tuesday when I'm seeing the physio again and hopefully I'm going in the right direction but it's gonna be slower than I anticipated.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Slow progress is progress all the same. Hang in there! At least you'll be lacing up the shoes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

uncomfortable is better than very sore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Frustrating I know but as the lads have said its a move in the right direction & fingers (toes!) crossed it'll continue that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

This little piggy went to market,
    This little piggy stayed home,
    This little piggy had jam and bread,
    This little piggy had none,
    And this little piggy went crying all the way to town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ger664 wrote: »
    This little piggy went to market,
    This little piggy stayed home,
    This little piggy had jam and bread,
    This little piggy had none,
    And this little piggy went crying all the way to town

Hmmm - the little piggy down our way had roast beef ........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

kit3 wrote: »
    Hmmm - the little piggy down our way had roast beef ........

And ours went wee wee wee all the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Progress is progress. Don't forget you're age is a MASSIVE factor too. The elderly take longer to recover ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Can you lodge a complaint against Milan expo as wheelchair should have been provided? Am sure a colleague would have been delighted to spend the day pushing you about.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    And ours went wee wee wee all the way home

Yeah Ray, our wee'd too :)

Gonna make a complaint to the Board Big Boss about the ageism on here ;)

This little piggy wanted to run fast
    He thought he was good to go
    But got derailed by a toe
    The last 6 weeks have been hazy
    The little piggy went crazy
    But he's back up on his trotters at last!

Did a 40 min walk today including 12 x 30 seconds gentle jog (don't worry I won't be posting this every day in a training log!!!)

Not sure if it was because yesterday was worse than anticipated but today felt a bit better.

Looking to the next few months and my current plan is for a big PB at Valencia marathon on 15th November. Once I can run a few miles comfortably Ecoli and I will start another marathon cycle. A 10k plan was mentioned but the sub 3 marathon is my Holy grail and I know that I wouldn't commit sufficiently to a 10k, so it's sub 3 or bust.

Hopefully when I'm back posting it'll be against my next marathon plan.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Good man - fup Valencia - San Seb is calling!

Good man - fup Valencia - San Seb is calling!

Hey Paulie,

Are you doing SS, if you are I'd defo consider doing it, I've done Valencia 4 times and have heard good things about SS.

TbL

Ps I still owe you for the tickets!

Ah it's a long way off yet - we'll see - but their marketing is working on me.
    No need to make decisions yet.

Hope you're back soon - just remember your head will be melted with every twinge - try not to worry.

I haven't forgotten about the tickets ;)

Not a great week.

Every old niggle and ache has reared up.

No cardio work apart from a boxing session on the pads that left me so tired I was dizzy. Cardio down, weight up, not a great combo!

Managed the longest time on my feet running in 7 weeks today, 15 x 1 min very slow off 30 seconds walk.

Apologies for posting this drivel but I need to feel like I'm following a plan to keep my head from turning into minestrone!

Hoping to up the distances/time over the coming week and I'm still harbouring hopes of holding Duanningtons hand at the start of the Achil half on 4th July :)

Some great running/racing going on around here lately and TBH it's hard to read about it without feeling a touch of jealously.

Ye shower of lucky running feckers :)

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hang in there - you'll be back flying running waddling before you know it :D

Stay patient TBL - you'll be back strong before you know it - all that work you did is still there waiting to be called on :)

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Hang in there - you'll be back flying running waddling before you know it :D

Haha TJ, at this stage I could do with ducks webbed feet rather than these auld man useless toes! You're flying it yourself, some great sessions/races done lately, you must be getting some class advice :)

kit3 wrote: »
    Stay patient TBL - you'll be back strong before you know it - all that work you did is still there waiting to be called on :)

Hey Kit,

Thanks, just so feckin frustrating, when you get to auld man age the time seem to go by like dog years. If I don't get back running properly soon the missus will have me put in the pound :)

Reading the Honorary President of MCI log, doesn't help, "...mice cuple lops of forrrest, 62miles", and I'm posting reps of 60 seconds :)

Will you be in Achil for the half (think I remember from your log that you're not there that weekend)?

TbL

Haha TJ, at this stage I could do with ducks webbed feet rather than these auld man useless toes! You're flying it yourself, some great sessions/races done lately, you must be getting some class advice :)

Hey Kit,

Thanks, just so feckin frustrating, when you get to auld man age the time seem to go by like dog years. If I don't get back running properly soon the missus will have me put in the pound :)

Reading the Honorary President of MCI log, doesn't help, "...mice cuple lops of forrrest, 62miles", and I'm posting reps of 60 seconds :)

Will you be in Achil for the half (think I remember from your log that you're not there that weekend)?

TbL

Less of that old man sh1te (I suspect we are more or less the same age ;) ). Heading to Miltown Malbay that Saturday for sessions of a different kind & the MIL will be 80 on the Friday- had planned to head to Donegal to the SIL's for her birthday but the dog situation has made family relations somewhat difficult so it's all up in the air - fun & games :eek:. Will search you out if I'm around (would have done it otherwise :mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Keep the Faith, C.

Yeah - keep the faith chief - it will eventually be a distant memory and you'll be nice and fresh going into your next training block - the fitness won't be long coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Keep at it C, 15 x 1 minutes doesn't seem like much to the likes of you but its still a move in the right direction, cling to the positives!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Reading the Honorary President of MCI log, doesn't help, "L
    Was chatting to him at a #runningismysuperpower committee meeting,he reckons he would of sold his willy for the ability to do a 60 second rep on sat

With apologies in advance, but I'm hopeful that my posts in this log will change from been like a bad episode of Fraiser to a normal training log very soon.

Yesterday I was in Dublin and did 20 x 1 min along the canal, was running slow enough but was brought to a near full stop outside a bar on Stephens Green. I know I'm a bogger auld lad but Jezus christ on a bike, the get up on some of the young wans outside the bar! Since when did bits of napkins qualify as "clothing" :) In my day the young wans wore long baggy jumpers and 14 hole docs, I must be a dinosaur!

Today: safe back in conservative Connemara I decided to try and run for a bit longer. Had planned 4 mins x 3 but after the first 4 mins the foot felt ok and I managed 22 mins uninterrupted jogging, the second mile was even a zippy 9.38.

Very happy with that, although the knee tendonitis is still giving me a bit of gip, I'm hoping tomorrow the physio will let me build it up in miles rather than minutes.

Gonna ask Ecoli to start the process of building me slowly back up, and with a bit of luck might be able to start the process next week.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Very positive news TbL! Progress!
    Good to hear it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Gonna ask Ecoli to start the process of building me slowly back up, and with a bit of luck might be able to start the process next week.

TbL

Boston 2016 here we come.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

wont be long till u turn that 9 upside down. Easy and slow is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Very positive news TbL! Progress!
    Good to hear it:)

Tnx A, need to get back into it for my sanity, hope I'm not poxed and the knee starts to get worse while the foot is getting better every day!!
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Boston 2016 here we come.....:)

It's on the cards P, really was looking forward to it. Got a laugh out of your log yesterday, with some of those "sessions" you could have been a special advisor on here lately :)
    Good stuff :)

Thanks K, appreciate the pointers on the swimming, could never get the hang of the front crawl breathing, got pissed off with it and have only done a few breast stroke sessions in the pool.
    ger664 wrote: »
    wont be long till u turn that 9 upside down. Easy and slow is the way to go.

Hopefully Ger, I'll gladly take slow and easy (as long as it's running not walking!) over the next few weeks. Have you another target marathon in mind?

TbL

Advertisement