Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boggers Log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Really bad luck TbL, hopefully you will bounce back stronger and faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Tnx T,

I think a stress fracture of the foot takes about 6-8 weeks to heal.

Might be joining Career Move in the pool, hope she's done a resuscitation course :)

TbL

its small consolation I know but there's a challenge in there somewhere for the next 6 or so weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aero2k

Really sorry to hear about this awful luck - Boston would be my dream race but I'm not really into mixing long distance travel and racing. I lived there in '86 and remember being very envious of all the participants.

Best of luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

aero2k wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about this awful luck - Boston would be my dream race but I'm not really into mixing long distance travel and racing. I lived there in '86 and remember being very envious of all the participants.

Best of luck with the recovery.

Tnx.

I was really looking forward to it and am getting a little maudlin sitting here on my arse when I should be in the thick of it and the thought of swimming for the next 6 weeks is giving me palpitations :)

Great race report and time in Rotterdam.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

the thought of swimming for the next 6 weeks is giving me palpitations :)
    It won't be that bad. Stop being a baby :p I felt like you do when I tore the tendon in my hip except it was more 6 months than 6 weeks :D

How well can you swim?

If you can swim front crawl a little bit get yourself a pull bouy. It will help in the beginning when you swim because it gives you a better position in the water, it's easier to breathe and you don't do any kicking so better for the stress fracture.

Learn to breathe bilaterally and then do the sessions on Kurt's thread. I couldn't swim more than 2 lengths at a time in November but once you pick up the basics you'll improve rapidly and then it's really fun :D

P.S If you can't swim front crawl get some lessons ;)

• Advertisement

My swimming stroke is like my running style, UGLY!! But I can swim an ok distance, my freestyle breathing is atrocious!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

My swimming stroke is like my running style, UGLY!! But I can swim an ok distance, my freestyle breathing is atrocious!!

TbL
    You can't swim if you can't breathe but that's fixable :)

Ok here's what you do:

1) Make friends with Kurt Godel.

It'd be easier if you were a woman with big boobs but look we all just have to work with what God gave us :D

2) Read through the first couple of pages on the swimming for tri beginners thread

3) Have a look at the swimsmooth website. Download the app. It'll show you what you should be doing and how you should be breathing.

4) Next time you're in the pool .......

'Try and do a few lengths (rest at the wall after each) slowly, while breathing out slowly when head is underwater (exhale through nose). Breath in every two strokes, keeping everything slow. Once you get used to that you can try breathing every 3 (bilateral breathing on both sides). The swim smooth book/website would explain all this better.'

5) Start working your way through Kurt's sessions

...... simples :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hey TbL

Only catching up now. Absolutely gutted here too for you. Speedy recovery !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

TbL

Cmon u run like a duck surely u should be able to swim like one.

Get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I see you all over everyone else's log, but nothing here. How's the foot ? And more importantly, the head ?

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I see you all over everyone else's log, but nothing here. How's the foot ? And more importantly, the head ?

Haha PC,

Ecoli must have been telling you that I'm high maintenance. :)

Honestly, it's been horrible, I've been going spare!

I was away with work so couldn't even get to a pool, I've put on a few pounds and feel the fitness draining away. I trying to see a strength and conditioning coach so that I can work on that aspect while I'm not running but finding it hard to arrange an appointment!

Still have no written report but am seeing the consultant in the Bons tomorrow morning.

The not knowing has been wrecking my head, once I'm told exactly what's wrong and how long it'll take to fix then I'll focus and work towards that (and pick my next marathon), and hopefully that'll get the head straight.

Hard to come on here and see all the great Boardsie performances while I'm sitting here on my ass but it's hard to stay away for too long as well :)

Tnx PC

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

PaulieC wrote: »

Just popped in to ask pretty much the same so thanks Paulie...and of course TbL for the update ;) I know you have no choice but to sit tight...in the meantime, if it's any consolation, you may feel the fitness draining away but I'm telling you, at your level it won't be long coming back...the muscles remember...even if the brain can't ;)

With a bit of luck I could be back running in 4 weeks.

Saw the consultant yesterday and left in a fairly positive frame of mind.

The only negative is that as well as the stress fracture I have a severe case of metatarsalgia that has caused hammer/claw toe in most of the toes. Apparently I need to address this urgently as if it gets worse it will effect my running and could require surgery (which he said I should do everything to avoid as it couldn't guarantee success). Luckily Mrs TbL doesn't have a foot fetish :) and I'm at the age where foot aesthetics don't really bother me.

Apparently the hammer toe could have been a contributing cause of the fracture.

The physio gave me a rake of "toe yoga" exercises (I kid not) to do but it's kinda awkward to get your toes into the correct position, so she suggested that a family member might help until I get the hang of it. Took the shoes and socks off in the living room last night and explained what I needed someone to do..."hello, hello, where's everyone gone!!" They'd disappeared like Jimmy Hoffa and I was left trying to position the toes myself!!

Got casted for an orthotic with a metatarsal bar that should also help alleviate the issue.

Was told that I can swim, cycle and possibly some easy cross trainer.

Did 20 mins on the cross trainer yesterday followed by 10 mins on the boxing heavy bag. Was blowing pretty hard afterwards but it was great to get the heart rate up from exercise rather than from eating a bag of minstrels!

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow, and make sure you give it large Meno, coz come 4 weeks I'll be targeting your PB again :)

TbL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good news on the injury front, hope you can get out for a cycle or swim fairly regularly over the next few weeks, keep the fitness up and keep you sane!

Best of luck with the recovery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good to hear TbL, hopefully recovery goes well for you & you'll be back on the road soon. Sounds like you have Robbie Fowler foot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Correct Decision not getting on that plane last week. Four weeks will fly so don't do anything stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

What's the plan for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good news, TbL, nice to get to the bottom of what's going on. What caused this hammer toe situation anyway - running related or something else? best of luck with the rehab - keep us updated, injury recovery is always of interest, especially to other aul lads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Good luck with the recovery TbL....
    Hopefully the initial disappointment has faded and you're looking at the big picture now.
    Your goal is still there for you.... :)

Hammer toe.... Well I've heard it all now.... If Bulmers ever comes down with this ailment we'll have to get him to change his username to Hammer Toe Joe.. Has a nice ring to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

See, the time will fly by and in the long run you'll be better off giving the body a bit of a rest!

Your toes didn't bother me in Lanzarote - in fact it was great when you arrived poolside because everybody else legged it and we had the place to ourselves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

See, the time will fly by and in the long run you'll be better off giving the body a bit of a rest!

Your toes didn't bother me in Lanzarote - in fact it was great when you arrived poolside because everybody else legged it and we had the place to ourselves ;)

Was it just the two of you that were left poolside? I'd say if the truth be told that it was the budgie smugglers and not the toe that cleared the place. Eitherway PaulieYifter seemed happy enough :D

PS Glad to here that you have a clear diagnosis and path to recovery now, C. Make sure that you don't use the shortness of the 4 week lay-off as an excuse to do nothing. Recovery well.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Make sure that you don't use the shortness of the 4 week lay-off as an excuse to do nothing.

That's what prompted me to ask;
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    What's the plan for the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PS Glad to here that you have a clear diagnosis and path to recovery now, C. Make sure that you don't use the shortness of the 4 week lay-off as an excuse to do nothing. Recovery well.

Have you not heard? he has taken up a career as a boxer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057419137

Rumour has it he will be challenging Kiltschko by the end of the year ;)

And we get to see the constructive and non-polemic walshie :cool:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    And we get to see the constructive and non-polemic walshie :cool:

Read the other threads on the boxing forum; he is even worse over there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

menoscemo wrote: »

Wasn't he a mod over there before?:D

Ah ok, no I'll pass, even for entertainment value. I'll keep my image of a reasonable walshie intact...even if it was only for a few paragraphs :) tbh I was surprised he didn't recommend a minimum number of punches per minute before TbL would be considered worthy ;) :pac:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    tbh I was surprised he didn't recommend a minimum number of punches per minute before TbL would be considered worthy ;) :pac:

Ehhh did you not read that? 350 punches per round is the 9 minute mile of the boxing world :pac:
    walshb wrote: »
    In 180 seconds you need to be aiming for 350-450 shots thrown. And if you can build up stamina and speed this number will increase.

Ehhh did you not read that? 350 punches per round is the 9 minute mile of the boxing world :pac:

Haha can I claim shock? :o

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good news, TbL, nice to get to the bottom of what's going on. What caused this hammer toe situation anyway - running related or something else? best of luck with the rehab - keep us updated, injury recovery is always of interest, especially to other aul lads. :)

Overuse, genetics and auld age Murph, definitely not my choice of shoes, I'm an Echo shoes kinda guy rather than those winkle picking long pointy yokes the wannabe trendy young lads are wearing :)
    Was it just the two of you that were left poolside? I'd say if the truth be told that it was the budgie smugglers and not the toe that cleared the place. Eitherway PaulieYifter seemed happy enough :D

Might wear my peedos instead of shorts for my next marathon M, congestion wouldn't be a problem for me then!

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    That's what prompted me to ask;

Hey J, got a strength & conditioning session tonight with someone that knows what they are doing. I'll be doing some bike, cross training and attempting to become the oldest heavyweight champion of the world :) I wasn't gonna update the log as I didn't want to be logging stuff like fecking 20 mins of toe yoga!! But I might start logging every few days coz laziness is starting to creep in. Last night I was to do over an hour but only spent about 10 mins on the punch bag before I made a lame excuse and quit!

Best of luck in Limerick
    Have you not heard? he has taken up a career as a boxer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057419137

Rumour has it he will be challenging Kiltschko by the end of the year ;)

Ah look who's crawled out of the coal hole :) did the cleaner find you passed out in the disabled jacks!!! Shouldn't you be planning another marathon rather than slagging me as I reckon a sub 3.04 will be mine in Longford!

Jezus they're a tough crowd over on the boxing forum, they probably thought I was a troll or an idiot (or quite possibly both). One of the mods gave some some decent pointers as well though, so I might yet have a career in boxing!

Tnx P, I didn't realise you had a toe fetish, I was wondering why when I "lost" my t shirt on that mountain run, that you also suggested that I give barefoot running a go, it's starting to make sense now :)

TbL

Advertisement