Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Gigs 2014

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 111 ✭✭SPS1

Ap/Celph/Snowgoons didn't go ahead for playing.

What happened with Brother Ali last time he played Dublin? I heard a rumor about the crowd or something.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

SPS1 wrote: »
    Ap/Celph/Snowgoons didn't go ahead for playing.

What happened with Brother Ali last time he played Dublin? I heard a rumor about the crowd or something.

Crowd was great last time Brother Ali played, I was even chatting to him afterwards and had to help him find the rest of the crew he was with.

Rhymesayers don't come here anymore because of the additional costs in flights/ferries/transport compared to what they pull in at the venue.
    In the UK they can hit 3 or 4 cities, whereas here they only hit Dublin. So they would probably loose money coming here.
    And merch is where they make thier earnings, and the merch tables are not really that popular here compared to other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Danny Brown and Vic Mensa were great last night. Mensa had the crowd going crazy, like could have been doing the gig on his own. Danny was great and brings awesome energy as always. I think the sound in the Academy is pretty poor though, hard to hear anything clearly after a while, was the same with ASAP Rocky. Also, first few people in got free carhartt tour t-shirts, which was really sweet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Danny Brown and Vic Mensa were great last night. Mensa had the crowd going crazy, like could have been doing the gig on his own. Danny was great and brings awesome energy as always. I think the sound in the Academy is pretty poor though, hard to hear anything clearly after a while, was the same with ASAP Rocky. Also, first few people in got free carhartt tour t-shirts, which was really sweet.

I ended up not going, went over on my ankle playing football yesterday so cant really stand upright for too long, let alone go to a gig.
    Soundwise, i always hang near the engineers booth, it always sounds best there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

The Sugar Club's doing a screening of the new Stones Throw documentary as well as hosting a live Q&A and music set with Peanut Butter Wolf;
    http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/our-vinyl-weighs-a-ton-this-is-stones-throw-records

Sounds class, definetely heading along

• Advertisement

Saruwatari wrote: »
    The Sugar Club's doing a screening of the new Stones Throw documentary as well as hosting a live Q&A and music set with Peanut Butter Wolf;
    http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/our-vinyl-weighs-a-ton-this-is-stones-throw-records

Sounds class, definetely heading along

Not going to miss this, I really hope that Jonwayne will be in attendance as well as he is billed on some of the European screenings.

Just to put the calander of gigs in one place:

Hare Squead - Academy - 10th January

Pharoahe Monch - Sugar Club - 8th Feb
    Boss Level Series - Whelans - 8th Feb
    Danny Brown - The Academy - 25th February

Homeboy Sandman - Sugar Club - 6th March
    Dead Prez - Sugar Club - 12th March
    Earl - The Academy - 26th of March
    DOOM & Live Drummer - - 23rd March

Stones Throw Documentary/Peanut Butter Wolf - Sugar Club - 6th April
    Madlib DJ Set - Sugar Club - April 17th

Big Daddy Kane - The Sugar Club - 4th May
    Onyx - Voodoo Lounge - 16th May
    Apathy/Celph Titled/Snowgoons - - 20th May **Cancelled**
    Schoolboy Q./Isaiah Rahad/Vince Staples - Vicar Street - May 27th.

Pusha T - Vicar St - June 9th
    Jurassic 5 - Vicar St - 17th June (maybe with Ugly Duckling on support)

Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis/Danny Brown/Angel Haze - Marley Park - 10th July

I've struck out the cancelled and done gigs. I'll try to keep this updated as new gigs get announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Will the Madlib DJ set be worth going to? I'm off on holidays and will be back for that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭CR 7

Are we getting a special version of the show?:pac:

SIVU46F.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

CR 7 wrote: »

SIVU46F.jpg

Dylan Moran is DJing for him.

• Advertisement

Will the Madlib DJ set be worth going to? I'm off on holidays and will be back for that week.

You'd never know whar Madlib will pull out to play, it could be rare funk 45's, it could be his own jazz records, it could be the Pinata album, you really dont know.

But I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You'd never know whar Madlib will pull out to play, it could be rare funk 45's, it could be his own jazz records, it could be the Pinata album, you really dont know.

But I'll be there.

If I'm in Dublin on that day I might head along to it. I'm heading to Rome the week before though so money could be tight.

It's a pity that Gibbs is touring with Tech N9ne and not Madlib.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Those DOOM And Madlib gigs are tantalizingly close.

The music Madlib played on that archive digging interview at the French Radio Library was awesome, I'd happily pay to listen to him spin some old stuff.

http://sampleface.co.uk/saturday-matinee/madlib-at-radio-frances-vinyl-library/

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

CR 7 wrote: »

SIVU46F.jpg

What am I missing here?

(other than the gig, unfortunatly)

edit: the spelling mistake, I see it now :)

Sadistik will be touring Europe this summer with Cunninglinguists. No dates announced yet, but let's collectively cross our fingers and toes that they hit Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

De La Soul are playing Belfast in May apparently

https://cqaf.ticketsolve.com/shows/873510795/events

Andy_rse wrote: »
    De La Soul are playing Belfast in May apparently

https://cqaf.ticketsolve.com/shows/873510795/events

The hip hop scene up north gig wise has been grabbing my attention for a while now. They've been bringing over a lot of UK hip hop recently. Skinnyman, Dirty Dike, Verb T & Task Force to name a few.

Never taken a trip up that far yet but might have to for this one, £15 to see them is a steal!

HighClass wrote: »
    The hip hop scene up north gig wise has been grabbing my attention for a while now. They've been bringing over a lot of UK hip hop recently. Skinnyman, Dirty Dike, Verb T & Task Force to name a few.

Never taken a trip up that far yet but might have to for this one, £15 to see them is a steal!

It'll be an outdoor gig so hopefully there'll be some decent weather. If you decide to go It's about a 5 min walk from Central station if you get the train up and not too far from the bus depot and a premier inn just across the bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Apparently I won a plus one ticket to Homeboy Sandman tomorrow for being one of the first 50 people to buy a ticket to DOOM. Anyone else get this?

Heard good stuff bout him so I better get my Spotify on pronto

Sadistik will be touring Europe this summer with Cunninglinguists. No dates announced yet, but let's collectively cross our fingers and toes that they hit Ireland.

No Irish date, not even a UK date which seems to be increasingly the case. There's still a few empty dates but it's wishful thinking at this stage.

• Advertisement

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Apparently I won a plus one ticket to Homeboy Sandman tomorrow for being one of the first 50 people to buy a ticket to DOOM. Anyone else get this?

Heard good stuff bout him so I better get my Spotify on pronto

Nope, but i'm going tonight, should be a good one. Homeboy Sandman is excellent.

I've got a plus one if anyone is interested?
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    No Irish date, not even a UK date which seems to be increasingly the case. There's still a few empty dates but it's wishful thinking at this stage.

Boooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭countbezukov

Dom Kennedy doing a European tour at the end of the month, only found out now but unfortunately no Irish date. Somewhere like the Sugar Club/Twisted Pepper would have been good.

The Sugar Club are doing well in upcoming gigs... BBNG just announced http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/badbadnotgood

Brian wrote: »
    The Sugar Club are doing well in upcoming gigs... BBNG just announced http://www.thesugarclub.com/listings/event/badbadnotgood

Nice one! Didn't think they'd be back over again so soon, only played the end of last year.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any tickets listed for sale just yet, despite the website saying they should have been available at 8pm.

Missed out on 1 or 2 last time, here's the refresher:

Ugly Duckling - Twister Pepper - 21st March

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Missed out on 1 or 2 last time, here's the refresher:

Jazzy Jeff is playing Twisted Pepper on Fri, May 3rd.

Grandmaster Flash playing the Village on Sun May 5th.

Massive bank holiday weekend with those two and Big Daddy Kane

So:

Ugly Duckling - Twister Pepper - 21st March **The Animators on Support**

Jazzy Jeff - Twister Pepper - 3rd May
    Grandmaster Flash - The Village - 5th May

Jonwayne - Twisted Pepper - 25th April

Phew, I'll be getting back from my holliers that day so wont miss it.

1798021_745575135460326_1317771099_n.jpg

• Advertisement

In work I'm rearranging peoples schedules, travel plans, customer engadgements all so that I can be back in Dublin for the 6th April for what I am calling a personal matter, which is really the Stones Throw Doc.
    Now i'm just hoping that I wont fall asleep due to jet lag during the screening.

Advertisement