Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Broadband Speeds in Tramore

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Folks, if your getting nowhere with your ISP then take it up with ComReg. It's easy, just keep an eye so its not left slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I did just that last week, waiting to hear back from comreg. I'll post up here once I do to let you know how it worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

I got the tail end of the news on the radio today mentioning COMREG looking into phone companies offering higher speeds than they are able to provide... And there doing somethign about it

I didnt get the story just the ending does anyone know what there doing??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cant add much of interest to anyone here but the internet speed in our house is absolutely pathetic the last few weeks and it used be fairly good! Are the estates mentioned above the only ones getting the new improved thing or will nearby estates get it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

Decided to humour myself today and see was there an update, naturally enough there wasn't. So in the 2 weeks between my call's,not one piece of information exchanged between tech support and the ground engineers.

DeiseGirl, the estates close to the cabinets will be tied in,so the likes of ballycarnane woods and cairn dubh will connect to the cluin mhor cabinet's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just an update on my end.

UTV spoke with me last week and assured me they would investigate with eircom, following on from my COMREG complaint. They were not given any notification from eircom of a problem in the exchange, and informed me it will take a number of attempts before eircom give them an answer we can work with, effectively. I got a call Monday to confirm they are talking with eircom but it will take more time to get answer they can work with. I was told my problem sounds very like congestion in the exchange.

(Paraphrasing, of course, but that's the gist)

I haven't got a call back just yet, but I genuinely think UTV are looking into it and eircom are just being slow. So I will give it a little more time before seeking an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Sully wrote: »
    Just an update on my end.

UTV spoke with me last week and assured me they would investigate with eircom, following on from my COMREG complaint. They were not given any notification from eircom of a problem in the exchange, and informed me it will take a number of attempts before eircom give them an answer we can work with, effectively. I got a call Monday to confirm they are talking with eircom but it will take more time to get answer they can work with. I was told my problem sounds very like congestion in the exchange.

(Paraphrasing, of course, but that's the gist)

I haven't got a call back just yet, but I genuinely think UTV are looking into it and eircom are just being slow. So I will give it a little more time before seeking an update.

I actually had an engineer at my house the other day and said that they were working on the exchange and we should soon see some improvments.

He also told me that eFibre is to go live on the 14th March in Tramore. :)

However he said once it's switched on, it could take a week before anyone can see the correct speeds etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Paying for 'up to' 8mb. I usually get 5.5mb down and 40 ping.

SpeedtestnetbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.png

It's been like this all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

Keno wrote: »
    Paying for 'up to' 8mb. I usually get 5.5mb down and 40 ping.

SpeedtestnetbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.png

It's been like this all day.

I second that sentiment Keno, Last night at 2-5AM I was getting between 10-12Mbps download speeds on my line, in accordance with my package. Today however since midday it has been like this:
    3310588159.png

and still is. Just utterly infuriating

• Advertisement

And it gets better!

3310596462.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm feeling the effects of this tonight, getting extremely p***ed off now at this stage.

3310659822.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

There are actually loads around the town mate, the went around setting up the bases for them first and once that was done they started fitting the vDSL cabinets. Wherever there was an old cabinet, a new vDSL will be placed within 10 metres of it.

Have seen other cabinets as well as the ones you mentioned at:

Newtown Hill
    Meadowbrook
    Marian Terrace
    Roselawn
    Moonvoy

Not sure if someone pointed to this map yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Haven't posted in a while but here is the latest speed test which is somewhere near normal and has been for the last week or so!

With UTV!

3312209407.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

E fibre is coming but who knows when, I'd say sooner rather than later!!!

I have to ask is anyone on here actually looking for faster broadband now, there is a lot of moaning but people putting up with the service they didn't sign up for - I hate to say it but its so Irish ???

Mine at this minute
    Ping 60
    Download speed 11.78
    Upload speed 6.53

If you don't like what your getting let your feet do the talking, I bet they'd install efibre alot faster if they actually started losing customers because of their disgraceful service. Money is all there interested in so hit them where it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

E fibre is coming but who knows when, I'd say sooner rather than later!!!

I have to ask is anyone on here actually looking for faster broadband now, there is a lot of moaning but people putting up with the service they didn't sign up for - I hate to say it but its so Irish ???

Mine at this minute
    Ping 60
    Download speed 11.78
    Upload speed 6.53

If you don't like what your getting let your feet do the talking, I bet they'd install efibre alot faster if they actually started losing customers because of their disgraceful service. Money is all there interested in so hit them where it hurts.

I agree totally however up in till june . We had excellent speed
    , and I essentially have had free broadband and line rental since then becuase I didn't believe eircoms bs and pushed and pushed . Had engineers in my house three times
    , doesnt help anyone that u r threatened everytime before each visit

rasper wrote: »
    I agree totally however up in till june . We had excellent speed
    , and I essentially have had free broadband and line rental since then becuase I didn't believe eircoms bs and pushed and pushed . Had engineers in my house three times
    , doesnt help anyone that u r threatened everytime before each visit

If you're getting for free thats a plus alright.

Its terrible that you're being threatened, they're unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

If you're getting for free thats a plus alright.

Its terrible that you're being threatened, they're unbelievable

Every single time (eircom procedure) im sure but it was, if there is no problem up to the entry point on house you ll be billed, didn't bother me but imagine what it sounds like to a person who doesn't understand and this is while it was widely known , but officially " oh there's no problem u r the only one"
    €25 a month just to have a line with a phone I never use to be told that , broadband is only €13 extra or something pm

There's no point switching to another service when all the lines are eircom controlled we'll still have the same problem regardless. If I pick up the phone in my mothers house and call about the slow speeds and mention nothing that I know there's a problem on the exchange in Tramore,Eircom will troubleshoot as normal and say nothing about the bigger issue at hand.

They've not openly come out and announced a fault,instead the real problem is hidden behind smoke and mirrors.

More than likely the majority of us here are using our net for netflix,gaming and downloads and that's why we notice the difference but if your household does nothing but browse you wouldn't even notice the difference in speeds between peak and off peak times.

I called yesterday for an update and they've no idea. I'm encouraged to pay my bill as normal and then when the issue is resolved I'm to call back to fight tooth and nail for a full refund because apparently despite the fact that I'm paying for an uncongested service,the fact that I received "some" service is meant to be good enough.

At this stage I doubt the problem will be fixed,fibre rolled out next month and when people start jumping onto that,dsl congestion will drop and Eircom won't have fixed the issue.That's their solution right there

DaveC85 wrote: »
    There's no point switching to another service when all the lines are eircom controlled we'll still have the same problem regardless. If I pick up the phone in my mothers house and call about the slow speeds and mention nothing that I know there's a problem on the exchange in Tramore,Eircom will troubleshoot as normal and say nothing about the bigger issue at hand.

They've not openly come out and announced a fault,instead the real problem is hidden behind smoke and mirrors.

That only applies if you need a landline which I don't have or need and I have VoIP phone, so rather than the internet coming over the phone, the phone comes over the internet.
    And its not satellite internet either, from what I know its wireless repeaters. I wasn't going to move either because I was convinced it was either phoneline or satellite.

We would regularly have Neflix on in both rooms in the evenings, I also work from home parttime and the broadband is fine, no probs what so ever. I have no problem Skyping relatives in Oz.

I did have different landline internet and I got out of the contract because I wasn't getting the service I was paying for. I did have to contact Comreg but it wasn't difficult as the service provider was in breach, it did take about a few phone calls and I had to contact Comreg 3 times, but it was all done and dusted in about a week.

I'm sick of companies offering bad service and thinking people just have to put with it.

• Advertisement

rasper wrote: »
    Every single time (eircom procedure) im sure but it was, if there is no problem up to the entry point on house you ll be billed, didn't bother me but imagine what it sounds like to a person who doesn't understand and this is while it was widely known , but officially " oh there's no problem u r the only one"
    €25 a month just to have a line with a phone I never use to be told that , broadband is only €13 extra or something pm

I pay 30 for and 10 for VoIP phone ( that give me 5 hours free calls to any landline (or VoIP phone although these are usually free with most VoIP service providers). I pay 7 for Netflix, its 47 for the lot and given that the broadband it reliable thats fine with me :-)

I pay 30 for and 10 for VoIP phone ( that give me 5 hours free calls to any landline (or VoIP phone although these are usually free with most VoIP service providers). I pay 7 for Netflix, its 47 for the lot and given that the broadband it reliable thats fine with me :-)

Who's your provider mate? Wouldn't mind getting in contact with them to find out how suitable it would be for gaming. Running the xbox one at the moment and when it comes to map packs for the likes of battlefield it's taking me way too long than necessary to download them.

DaveC85 wrote: »
    Who's your provider mate? Wouldn't mind getting in contact with them to find out how suitable it would be for gaming. Running the xbox one at the moment and when it comes to map packs for the likes of battlefield it's taking me way too long than necessary to download them.

Total Wireless Ltd, the phone number is 051 582 150.

Total Wireless Ltd, the phone number is 051 582 150.

One major problem I would have with this is the fact that its €120 installation fee - no other provider charges that and it is a massive capital down payment. With fibre so close to being introduced, provided said issues on are resolved (why I started this thread), I can't see how that is competition with up to 100Mbps speeds. If 4G become available in Tramore through various providers then there are potential speeds of 50Mbps+ with regards a wireless system as real competition.

From Total Wireless' website: http://totalwireless.ie/

"What does it cost?Well, we like to keep things simple.
    So it’s like this:
    Domestic use (up to 8MB):
    € 30 per month, plus € 120 installation*, or €39 per month with
    no installation fee
    Business use (up to 12MB): € 140 installation*, € 48 per month.

The * means it’s a standard installation - which is fixing the small antenna to an existing pole on your house, and a cable connection to one computer or existing wireless router.
    If you’d like WiFi around the house, so you can use iPads, laptops etc, then you’ll need an optional WiFi router. We can supply these at a cost of € 30.
    We ask for the installation fee to be paid upon installation, as is the first month, afterwards the monthly fee is paid by standing order.

Fast. Reliable. Broadband."

Wireless Solutions, at the moment anyway, are not the solution. It varies depending on where you live and is very much weather dependent.

Sully wrote: »
    Wireless Solutions, at the moment anyway, are not the solution. It varies depending on where you live and is very much weather dependent.

Sully its annoying that you keep rowing in with misinformation and information thats not true, anytime I have stated my actual experience of this broadband, you contradict me.

You just surmise on this and your wrong, weather doesn't affect it. I only know this because as a customer I get €30 for every one I recommend when they sign up (I've made €150 so far) but I've also had to email them a few questions. Nor does it vary where you live, they can either give you the service or not, they are nice guys and will tell you straight.

On the weather question the reply I received was and I quote "weather does not affect the propagation of the radio frequencies used for the distribution of wireless broadband" so there you go

I have recommended them to people near Fenor, near Kilfarrasy, Duhill and Mooncoin, they all have Neflix now and have no problem watching it, they are all delighted with their broadband.

I really do think you just want to moan and claim that there is no alternative despite the fact that there is.

I am not saying this is the ideal for everyone, but if you are completely pi***d off with the phone companies and the terrible service, if getting rid of your landline so you don't have to deal with them at all makes you smile and if you want decent broadband for work, gaming or watching tv then a real alternative exists, stop moaning and use it

One major problem I would have with this is the fact that its €120 installation fee - no other provider charges that and it is a massive capital down payment. With fibre so close to being introduced, provided said issues on are resolved (why I started this thread), I can't see how that is competition with up to 100Mbps speeds. If 4G become available in Tramore through various providers then there are potential speeds of 50Mbps+ with regards a wireless system as real competition.

From Total Wireless' website: http://totalwireless.ie/

"What does it cost?Well, we like to keep things simple.
    So it’s like this:
    Domestic use (up to 8MB):
    € 30 per month, plus € 120 installation*, or €39 per month with
    no installation fee
    Business use (up to 12MB): € 140 installation*, € 48 per month.

The * means it’s a standard installation - which is fixing the small antenna to an existing pole on your house, and a cable connection to one computer or existing wireless router.
    If you’d like WiFi around the house, so you can use iPads, laptops etc, then you’ll need an optional WiFi router. We can supply these at a cost of € 30.
    We ask for the installation fee to be paid upon installation, as is the first month, afterwards the monthly fee is paid by standing order.

Fast. Reliable. Broadband."

Yep you could be right on that but there is a €39 alternative. In fainess you don't have speeds of anywhere near what your suggestion, thats down the line somewhere, I am talking about now, so I would say it is very much real competition, thats if you want what you said you wanted, decent broadband!!!

Fibre will be excellent but if you can get it but you'd still need your phoneline and I wouldn't change over when what I have now does the job nicely and I don't have to deal with the likes of eircom - thats when I did eventually get through to them.

Things might change but I am actually happy with what I have.

By the way my neighbour has vodaphone 4G (its here) with speed tests showing well over 30Mbps yet they use my internet for skyping their daughter in Oz because theirs keeps needing to reconnect or cutting out and mine works fine- I know cheek.

Lads are ye sure this isn't just a moaning session????

Sully its annoying that you keep rowing in with misinformation and information thats not true, anytime I have stated my actual experience of this broadband, you contradict me.

You just surmise on this and your wrong, weather doesn't affect it. I only know this because as a customer I get €30 for every one I recommend when they sign up (I've made €150 so far) but I've also had to email them a few questions. Nor does it vary where you live, they can either give you the service or not, they are nice guys and will tell you straight.

On the weather question the reply I received was and I quote "weather does not affect the propagation of the radio frequencies used for the distribution of wireless broadband" so there you go

I have recommended them to people near Fenor, near Kilfarrasy, Duhill and Mooncoin, they all have Neflix now and have no problem watching it, they are all delighted with their broadband.

I really do think you just want to moan and claim that there is no alternative despite the fact that there is.

I am not saying this is the ideal for everyone, but if you are completely pi***d off with the phone companies and the terrible service, if getting rid of your landline so you don't have to deal with them at all makes you smile and if you want decent broadband for work, gaming or watching tv then a real alternative exists, stop moaning and use it

You must have some connection with this company, seeing as you keep going on about it.

I'm not contradicting your personal experience, and I don't think I have ever really spoken about Wireless Broadband online. I do have a bit of experience with selling fixed line services and I have done rural where people use wireless solutions. I have spoken with them about their experiences and I know from my own knowledge. Even Sky TV is impacted by the weather. Nothing to do with the company you use, there are hundreds who do the same thing. Many implement their technologies different to respond to poor weather. Weather can and does impact on wireless solutions to many customers. Many customers swear by it.

I'm not ruling it out as a solution completely. It's not for everybody and it has it's limitations. That's all I am saying.

And as for mobile phone operators 3G broadband - I come across this on an almost daily basis. Most people openly admit the service is poor and is even worse during poor weather. Again, location depending. One lad in Tramore gets great service because he is within a short distance from the mast.

Not a moaning session at all Sparkling Sea. As I said the reason I started this thread was to raise awareness of the issues in the system here. Up to about October/November-ish my broadband was absolutely fine, and had been for the last 10 years, getting the maximum 3Mbps, then 8Mbps, then 12Mbps (current) speeds that were available to my landline from Eircom/BT/Vodafone (current).

Since the issues began I have kept note and from speaking to other users it became apparrent that it wasn't just my line that was suffering issues with speed which suggested it was a congestion isssue. The only reason I would not consider moving to a Wireless Provider is as I said; the capital outlay.

eFibre should be available soon and I feel it is worth the wait til March/April rather than moving and signing a 12 month contract with a Wireless Provider. Should the speeds not be satisfactory with eFibre and the speeds still suffer dreadfully (i.e. unable to load videos/pictures) then I would consider moving to Wireless.

Thanks very much for the advice on an alternate solution but as you (Sparking Sea) said, you get €30 for each referral you get. This thread is not here to help you line your pocket, it is here to try to raise awareness and assist locals in knowing issues and making a complaint about inadequate landline services in the area connected to Tramore Telephone Exchange. I have no problem with referrals and advice on other services, just do it in another thread or a Bargain Alerts thread or something. I'm sure the Mods will agree with me on this on.

• Advertisement

Spoke with a chap working on fibre cabinets recently. He was telling me that the cabinets could have been installed when the fibre was a year or so ago, but eircom didn't want it done like that. Also, he thinks that not every cabinet will be made live in March (assuming they go live in March at all) and that most, if not all at this stage, cabinets are ready and just need to be made 'live' by eircom. That's pretty much what eircom have said on Boards.

He also said confirmed what someone else told me - that fibre will temporarily elevate the congestion in Tramore when people move over to it, but when demand increases in fibre congestion will appear again. As it has already in many parts of the country. Then its up to eircom to address the equipment in the exchange to increase capacity.

He personally didn't think fibre would work well the way it was setup and said that fibre to the home is possible, but it can be messy.

Advertisement