Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Textbook case of a PR disaster to the end. Only taking back 'unopened' games is the final insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah, such a shame for the staff. They bear the full brunt of this, and if XV does end up closing because of poor pr, theyre out of a job.

I doubt it will close due to poor PR, I'd say closing down XV and focusing on HMV was the plan all along with this being just a means to get every cent they could before shutting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Quote From the NCA
    “If consumers have pre-ordered and paid a deposit or in full for a product then a contract is in place and unless the contract provides otherwise, consumers should not have any additional charges or conditions imposed upon them.

To me that mean that it doesn't matter if the game is unopened or not.. XV shouldn't have done it in the first place so any agreement (purchase resulting from that could/should be unlawful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You could try the NCA again or the small claims court with regard to taking opened games back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And how many preordered XBox Ones would be left to collect by this point and how many others missed out due to having to cancel as they didn't want to buy the game, or were simply unable to afford the game at the time?
    Are those people going to get their consoles now or have they missed their chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

NCA on Matt Cooper now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

NCA said that XV were completely in the wrong do what they did i.e it was illegal.

If I was anyone that opened a game that I had to buy and they are not going to refund it back then I would be paying the 25 quid for the small claims court, no judge is going to rule against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Glad to hear sense, sorry - the law, prevailed. If we get anything out of this recession maybe it will be heightened awareness and opposition to charlatan stunts like this. Companies who do this deserve to be skewered by the market, not to the point of the ordinary staff losing jobs, but so the shareholders feel a serious dent in their pocket.

Well done to the shock and awe campaign against XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Well done to everyone who contributed to this outcome, it's great to see what can be done.

Although I think the NCA turn around time is excellent here, Xtravision retraction really doesnt help people who were effected though with the Xbone right? Either

A)
    You bought the xbox with the extra game. You hardly didnt play the game in the last 5 days on a brand new console? So you can't return it.

B)
    You left the xbox behind. Did they sell on your pre-order by now?

I agree with others calling for Xtravision to be forced to take back games that were forced on people, opened or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I think everyone with a PS4 preorder should cancel it now and get it elsewhere.
    I love how people claim to never shop their again but will be picking up a Ps4 this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's just a baffling decision. Say Xtravision got 2,000 maybe even 3,000 consoles to sell. The margin they would have made on each game is a pittance compared to the sales and loss of good will they've lost. It's all very well making a few extra quid at a console launch just before Christmas but they did so by alienating the people that would be spending money on games all through the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Would xtra vision staff be able to sue their employers for forcing them to do something illegal and opening themselves up for torrents of abuse due to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I love how people claim to never shop their again but will be picking up a Ps4 this Friday.

A PS4 most have already fully paid for and would find it extremely difficult to get another before Christmas, let alone people who might have time off worked booked for that release date.

I'm all for never shopping there again, but yes, I'm willing to forego that temporarily in order to make sure I can get my console with minimal fuss. Is that hypocritical? I don't care. The way I see it, with the amount I spend in there usually, the fact that I haven't actually been affected by this policy, and given that I've told my sisters who were supposed to be getting me an XV voucher for my birthday in a few weeks to get me a voucher for Gamestop instead, I'm fairly comfortable with the position I've taken.

so was situation talked about on liveline or anywhere on the radio id love to listen in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It's a (caught between a rock and a hard place situation) for many though in the lead up to Christmas.

If people cancel now it will probably be well into the new year before they get their hands on a ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

so was situation talked about on liveline or anywhere on the radio id love to listen in

It was on Matt Cooper yesterday, I've no idea about anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Where does this leave anyone who got their money refunded for refusing to buy the extra item?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

joe316 wrote: »
    NCA said that XV were completely in the wrong do what they did i.e it was illegal.

If I was anyone that opened a game that I had to buy and they are not going to refund it back then I would be paying the 25 quid for the small claims court, no judge is going to rule against you.

Will you be able to claim costs, like the 25 euros, against XtraVision also?

It's ridiculous to expect people not to have opened the game.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Where does this leave anyone who got their money refunded for refusing to buy the extra item?

Up s creek if there are no more units available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Up s creek if there are no more units available.

Do they have any come back I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Do they have any come back I wonder?

I doubt they have much. Contract was changed and then they backed out. I guess they could try to get the original contract enforced, but if there are no units available, then they will still be without. Not sure if it's worth trying to get compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

return an "unopened game", do they think that those that bought the extra game would not open and play it, that's ridiculous, they should refund it either with store credit or in cash. They are at fault.

I drop into xtravision every Thursday to put a way the latest bluray release until Friday, Golden Discs in future, and extra 10 minute walk, but at least xtravision won't be getting my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

As regards the game being unopened that is total bull.

Xtravision held our consoles to ransom and forced us to buy something we did not want.

I returned my opened game tonight after a call to Xtravision customer care.

The press release they issued is total crap like everything else they have said in the last week.

Opened game take it back or small claims court it is that simple.

The law trumps any ****e from Xtravision management as we have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Penn wrote: »
    A PS4 most have already fully paid for and would find it extremely difficult to get another before Christmas, let alone people who might have time off worked booked for that release date.

I'm all for never shopping there again, but yes, I'm willing to forego that temporarily in order to make sure I can get my console with minimal fuss. Is that hypocritical? I don't care. The way I see it, with the amount I spend in there usually, the fact that I haven't actually been affected by this policy, and given that I've told my sisters who were supposed to be getting me an XV voucher for my birthday in a few weeks to get me a voucher for Gamestop instead, I'm fairly comfortable with the position I've taken.

Nothing to do with this, but I literally cant think of a company who's vouchers I'd trust less

Cant they give the universal gift voucher? i.e cash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Surely buying a voucher from xtra vision is like getting an IOU from someone with stage 4 lung cancer! Theres no way they'd pull a stunt like this if they weren't planning on closing down in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

The best part of 50'000 views Xtravsion sucks we all know and I am sure they must realise we all know it.

This is the social media age we are in and trying to rip people off selling a tech product brings this to mind.

kamikaze%20pilot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I'd love to see there sales figures before this and after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Vicxas wrote: »
    It was on Matt Cooper yesterday, I've no idea about anywhere else.

Was on again this evening,I'm sure it'll be on the podcast.

Advertisement