Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

NTMK wrote: »
    You are talking about a company who are barely staying open atm. <snip>

I dont think it needs saying that XV wont be open by the next series console launches

Its also sickening that these Managers actions are going to cost hundreds of jobs and that is the last thing the great staff of XV need to be worrying about before xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Its also sickening that these Managers actions are going to cost hundreds of jobs and that is the last thing the great staff of XV need before xmas!

They dont give a ****.
    i saw it with hmv and a friend of mine was a regional manager with them. he doubted that any of the corporate managers ever stepped foot in a hmv and it was comfirm to him by their attempt to bring in a tattoo cover up policy and attemting to introduce a skirt as a part of the uniform for female staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Oryx wrote: »
    No company commits commercial suicide like this unless the head guys know they have nothing to lose. As has been said, it sounds like this is their last grab before they fold.

Why would they have done that deal with HMV if they were on the way out? HMV got enough bad press in this country without attaching their name to another sinking ship grabbing all they can before they go under.

I'm surprised Xtra Vision have lasted this long personally, haven't gone there in a good 10 years at this stage. For the folks making major purchases there you'd question the wisdom, this kind of service isn't new for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

SmurfX wrote: »
    Why would they have done that deal with HMV if they were on the way out? HMV got enough bad press in this country without attaching their name to another sinking ship grabbing all they can before they go under.

I'm surprised Xtra Vision have lasted this long personally, haven't gone there in a good 10 years at this stage. For the folks making major purchases there you'd question the wisdom, this kind of service isn't new for them.

HMV got all their premises on the cheap through the deal, which they are in the process of converting into HMV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Heard it on rte radio today. Consumers council are saying they have agreed a contract whemcyhey accepted your money and are breaking it when they say you need to buy a game when collecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Vicxas wrote: »
    It's illegal. Plain and simple. It's like you coming to buy a car off a car salesman and then him telling you you need to buy volcano insurance before he'll sell it to you.
    That's not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Absolam wrote: »
    That's not illegal?

Ya its like buying the car and then him saying you have to buy volcano insurance before they'll give you the keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Tuesday 26th November 2013

In response to the situation regarding pre-orders of XBoxOne consoles in Xtra-vision stores, Xtra-vision can confirm that from today (Tuesday 26th November) onwards, any person who collects their pre-ordered XBoxOne console at any Xtra-vision store will not have to purchase an additional game in order to receive their console.

Customers who have already collected their XBoxOne console and purchased an additional game can return the unopened game to the Xtra-vision branch where the purchase was made between November 22nd and November 26th, and the cost of the game will be refunded on presentation of proof of purchase.

Xtra-vision regret any upset or inconvenience that may have been caused to customers.

We can confirm that customers who have pre-ordered PlayStation 4 consoles will not have to purchase an additional game in order to receive their console.

- ENDS -

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Translation - "Jesus, just shut-up already you nerds."

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FrJackHackett

In response to the situation regarding pre-orders of XBoxOne consoles in Xtra-vision stores, Xtra-vision can confirm that from today (Tuesday 26th November) onwards, any person who collects their pre-ordered XBoxOne console at any Xtra-vision store will not have to purchase an additional game in order to receive their console.

Customers who have already collected their XBoxOne console and purchased an additional game can return the unopened game to the Xtra-vision branch where the purchase was made between November 22nd and November 26th, and the cost of the game will be refunded on presentation of proof of purchase.

Xtra-vision regret any upset or inconvenience that may have been caused to customers.

We can confirm that customers who have pre-ordered PlayStation 4 consoles will not have to purchase an additional game in order to receive their console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

COYVB wrote: »
    Tuesday 26th November 2013

- ENDS -

Where is this being reported? Haven't seen anything on it (At least not on RTE)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As expected, no word about Microsoft making them do it like some staff claimed, and nothing which will cost them money to fix ("unopened game" so they can sell it again for full price).

Most people will probably have opened the game they didn't want simply because they'd already paid for it.

Where is this being reported? Haven't seen anything on it (At least not on RTE)

I has it sent on to me by a number of the PR companies. Will imagine that it'll start popping up over the next hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

what about people who didn't take the console because of this and then were passed over for the next on the list

They have no console now and possibly XV have none to give them

This shambles could have been easily avoided in the first place

I has it sent on to me by a number of the PR companies. Will imagine that it'll start popping up over the next hour or so.

Ah cool.

Too little too late though. I'll be collecting the PS4 on Friday night and then not a single Xtra penny will be exchanged between us going forward. I've always been a supporter of Bricks & Mortar, and since Game went t!ts up, Xtra-vision was my first port of call. (Always nice to have a quick natter with the staff on games to look out for, or to swap impressions). Gamestop are just too much of a rip off in general anyway, and, ironically enough, the manager of my local XV said he didn't think Gamestop would last in the physical world (In Ireland at least) due to their pricing structures. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We were just sent the same press release from them too, I was on my lunch break when it arrived, glad to see it's been posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I would say the XtraVision staff are relieved with this news as well. The damage is already done though.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

zenno wrote: »
    I would say the XtraVision staff are relieved with this news as well. The damage is already done though.
    Yeah, such a shame for the staff. They bear the full brunt of this, and if XV does end up closing because of poor pr, theyre out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It's a case of too little, far far too late with regards to Xv's statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's a case of too little, far far too late with regards to Xv's statement.

It'll be a long time before I shop in there again. The damage is done. Amazon all the way!

The Irish Times.

CONOR POPE, Consumer Affairs Correspondent

The company concluded its statement by saying that it regretted “any upset or inconvenience that may have been caused to customers”.

Following the intervention of the National Consumer Agency, Xtra-vision has agreed that consumers who pre-ordered Xbox One consoles do not have to purchase an additional game in order to collect their consoles.

Xtra-vision was forced to act after the National Consumer Agency (NCA) launched an investigation into the practice following a number of complaints from affected consumers.

“Through our intervention with Xtra-vision [we have] achieved a positive outcome for affected consumers by securing compliance in line with consumer legislation,” the chief executive of the NCA Karen O’Leary said .

She also urged consumers to understand and assert their rights. “If consumers have pre-ordered and paid a deposit or in full for a product then a contract is in place and unless the contract provides otherwise, consumers should not have any additional charges or conditions imposed upon them.

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/xtra-vision-forced-into-u-turn-over-xbox-sale-1.1608005

Straight from the XV Facebook page:

"Dear all, we're happy to announce that from today onwards, anyone who collects their pre-ordered XBoxOne console at any of our Xtra-vision stores will not have to purchase an additional game in order to receive their console.
    Anyone who has already collected their console and purchased an additional game, you can return the unopened game with proof of purchase to the store where you made the purchase between November 22nd and 26th, and you'll be refunded.
    We regret any upset or inconvenience that may have been caused."

They are HAPPY :rolleyes::mad: to announce...... They really do have some brass swinging between their legs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Fairplay to the NCA. They've done their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Fairplay to the NCA. They've done their job.

Nice to see them act so quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Just waiting on them to blame some rogue manager for implementing this. XV and HMV should be boycotted for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The unopened game part is a bit rich. They should just take the game back, opened or not and issue a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Penn wrote: »
    nothing which will cost them money to fix ("unopened game" so they can sell it again for full price).

Most people will probably have opened the game they didn't want simply because they'd already paid for it.

Sneaky to the end. with only two or three games to play on the system, who wouldn't have opened the one they begrudgingly paid for over the last five days? does this mean they won't fully refund these?

If anything, XtraVision should take back the opened games as a gesture of goodwill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sneaky to the end. with only two or three games to play on the system, who wouldn't have opened the one they begrudgingly paid for over the last five days? does this mean they won't fully refund these?

Yup. They specifically said "unopened games". It's because if they were opened, they can't resell them at full price.

What they could have done, is offered a full cash refund on unopened games, and full in-store credit if the game is opened.

Advertisement