Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Has anyone tried to contact Larry Hyrb/Major Nelson? I'd be curious what he'd do if he was made aware of it.

[Edit]
    Edelman PR handled the XBox 360 brand PR in Ireland, I don't know if they're involved in XBone, but I'm sure they'd be able to point people in the right direction.

Don't forget to contact Microsoft Ireland directly about it too, the more noise and bother this causes XV the better. If they start getting phone calls from Microsoft directly asking them what the frak they think they're up to I'm sure arses will be kicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I really couldn't believe - until now thanks for the link Zen - that this was an official policy. I started from a somewhat sympathetic position but this is madness, they must be about to fold the business to create this sort of sh1t storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Good Job. XV is put back in to its place. We will meet again on next console launch lads. Those pricks never learn...
    You mean the PS4, yeah? I don't think XV will make it another 8 years to the next next gen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Disgusted it wasn't mentioned on right hook technology segment. They talked about the console but didn't mention anything about xtravision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

50-60 euro for a game? Which xtravision are these bargains? I looked to see what games they had and most were 65-70 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Bepolite wrote: »
    I really couldn't believe - until now thanks for the link Zen - that this was an official policy. I started from a somewhat sympathetic position but this is madness, they must be about to fold the business to create this sort of sh1t storm.
    I agree. There's no other explanation as to why anyone would do this. Even if they are making pi$$ all on sales of the consoles, heck it gets people into the shop and who knows, some people may have bought some games or accessories in there if they weren't too overpriced. Utter madness.

MS Ireland should come out and release a statement saying that this is nothing to do with them to avoid being dragged into it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,608 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

NCA released a statement to TGL. basically xv should not have add terms to the sale as it was not agreed with the customer at time if preorder. Too f*cking right!

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2013/11/nca-releases-statement-regarding-xtra-visions-pre-order-controversy/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

zenno wrote: »
    Independent.ie:
    However, the company is sticking to its position, believing that it is not falling foul of consumer law. A spokesman for Xtra-vision said that the firm had no official statement to make on the matter. A spokesman for Microsoft did not return calls on the issue.

Neither party give a toss. Such is life I guess. But "please, give us your business again!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Fair play to xtravision and hmv for reversing their decision. I must go onto Amazon, cancel my recent orders and buy from Xtravision instead.

Feck that! They still shafted those who preordered the Xbox one.
    No apology from xtravision HQ for the inconvenience they caused people.
    I wouldn't give them the steam off my urine at this stage.
    I look forward to the day they close down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Neither party give a toss. Such is life I guess. But "please, give us your business again!"

Well the National Consumer Agency are dealing with them now, so XtraVision have no choice now but to comply with their demand. XtraVision have broken a contract agreement between themselves and their customers in my opinion, so they have no choice but to comply with the law.

As was mentioned on the link from Sheehy83
    The NCA is following up with Xtravision directly.

In general, if consumers have pre-ordered and paid a deposit or in full for a product then a contract is in place for the supply of that product from the retailer to the consumer. The consumer is entitled, under Sales of Goods legislation, to receive the product at the agreed, contract price. Unless the contract provides otherwise, consumers should not have any additional charges or conditions imposed upon them and the trader has to supply the product at the agreed price. Where a consumer has paid a deposit, then they must pay the outstanding balance.

Retailers should always make the price of what they are selling clear to consumers at the time of purchase to enable the consumer to make an informed decision. If there is a requirement for extra, non-optional charges, then these have to be indicated to the consumer at the time when they agree to purchase the product. Therefore both the consumer and the retailer are fully aware of what is being purchased and the agreed price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

zenno wrote: »
    Well the National Consumer Agency are dealing with them now, so XtraVision have no choice now but to comply with their demand. XtraVision have broken a contract between themselves and their customers so they have no choice but to comply with the law.

As was mentioned on the link from Sheehy83

I requested their T&Cs this morning on the back of the thread in the legal discussions forum. They're only T&Cs are those on their website. They've nothing in their contracts (unless it's on the receipt) that they can stand over. I hope that info is of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

XV released a one line statement to Matt Coopers radio show after being contacted several times all day today in relation to the X1 issue. It reads as follows:

"This will not be the case for the PS4 launch on Friday"

Is it just me or is that an outrageous statement to make, with no apology, no responsibility of guilt and no effort to make it up to those who got shafted?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

No company commits commercial suicide like this unless the head guys know they have nothing to lose. As has been said, it sounds like this is their last grab before they fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Oryx wrote: »
    No company commits commercial suicide like this unless the head guys know they have nothing to lose. As has been said, it sounds like this is their last grab before they fold.

And if they fold soon, you might want to look at this... http://www.consumerhelp.ie/out-of-business :)

Always bring an umbrella, because you'll never know when it is going to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Maybe they're trying to pull a ' bold Xtravision...HMV will save the day! :D' type of stint, discrediting the folding business and enhancing the stable(ish) one.

Were Smyths or HMV doing the same thing regarding the extra purchase? (can't remember from earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tony67

What a disgrace.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKQT0PdJpgM
    Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Maybe they're trying to pull a ' bold Xtravision...HMV will save the day! :D' type of stint, discrediting the folding business and enhancing the stable(ish) one.

Were Smyths or HMV doing the same thing regarding the extra purchase? (can't remember from earlier)

My current job is calling certain PS4 pre-order customers to inform them we will only be able to provide Knack/Killzone bundles if they want them before Christmas at an extra expense of €40 (these are hard bundles provided direct from Sony, not laid out by the company) and even doing that I feel like a right s**t even though it is out of the control of the company, and of course in the case of the PS4 all customers are happy to just be getting one.

This is absolutely disgusting behaviour on the part of Xtra Vision. Whatever about the PS4, the Xbox One is expensive enough as is

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Kikin

Hope the NCA have some teeth and properly follow this up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

edit: someone has already posted the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Doylerzz

It's illegal what they are doing with the new xbox when you purchase or leave a deposit for an agreed amount that becomes a contract and xtravision vision must honour that contract by delivering the goods as described in the contract , not by adding some bull**** like you have to buy an xtra game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Doylerzz wrote: »
    It's illegal what they are doing with the new xbox when you purchase or leave a deposit for an agreed amount that becomes a contract and xtravision vision must honour that contract by delivering the goods as described in the contract , not by adding some bull**** like you have to buy an xtra game

It's illegal. Plain and simple. It's like you coming to buy a car off a car salesman and then him telling you you need to buy volcano insurance before he'll sell it to you.

Xtra Vision have been incredibly short sighted and have done more damage to their already fragile customer base.

Their silence is also damning. It's very 'bury your head and hope it blows over' syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, is there anything XV could say to fix things? An admission of guilt won't rebuild the trust they've lost. Offering some sort of compensation to those who had to buy an extra game probably won't rebuild the trust either.

I think they know they've lost a lot of gamers. They just don't care. The majority of their customers, even if they heard Matt Cooper yesterday, won't give two sh*ts because it doesn't affect them.

I know for myself anyway, a mea culpa by XV wouldn't be enough. Maybe if they took back whatever extra you had to buy to get your preorder (whether opened or not, and they could use your account details to see what you had preordered) with a full cash refund, plus gave a €10 voucher for XV, maybe I'd consider shopping there again.

Until they take a financial hit from it, nothing is going to change, and no apology would be enough, because they'll just try and do it again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

Short and sweet lads. If you've paid in advance (even a deposit) for the console they have a contractual obligation to supply the goods at the agreed price. Trying to force you to buy anything else is breach of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

The arrogance shown by xtravision is truly outstanding! Did they think they were dealing with a few snotty nosed teens and kids? Although I am not directly effected though as someone in his mid 30's I am fed up watching us all get screwed over day in day out in modern Ireland but to try and screw with the one thing that many of us have left that makes us happy is the last straw!

Xtravision Front-line Staff and Customers deserve better treatment than that dished out by these knuckle headed managers who made these decisions! Let it be a warning to other retailers Gamers are a Fickle bunch and will strike back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

There's a Facebook Page now, it was only a matter of time I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Down with this sort of thing? :rolleyes:

Way to go to be taken seriously, lads.

Edit: Banner image seems to have been updated. Good stuff.....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Vicxas wrote: »
    It's illegal. Plain and simple. It's like you coming to buy a car off a car salesman and then him telling you you need to buy volcano insurance before he'll sell it to you.
    Any car salesman can make volcano insurance a condition of sale. He just cant wait to tell you that till after you've paid for the car. Its business 101. It really beggars belief that well paid, educated corporate managers in XV would do something so completely idiotic.
    Xtra Vision have been incredibly short sighted and have done more damage to their already fragile customer base.
    I agree. It may not seem a big deal to them, but its gaining momentum, and could be a cock up on par with Gerald Ratner's mega gaffe.
    Their silence is also damning. It's very 'bury your head and hope it blows over' syndrome.
    I doubt they know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Mr E wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing? :rolleyes:

Way to go to be taken seriously, lads.

down-with-this-sort-of-thing-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They were talking about it on RTE 1 again this morning. Nice to see xtra vision have back tracked I suppose. They're still a bunch of ***** though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Any car salesman can make volcano insurance a condition of sale. He just cant wait to tell you that till after you've paid for the car. Its business 101. It really beggars belief that well paid, educated corporate managers in XV would do something so completely idiotic.
    You are talking about a company who are barely staying open atm. <snip>

I dont think it needs saying that XV wont be open by the next series console launches

Advertisement