Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telltale Working on Game of Thrones Game?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

@SeanTheMan Would you generally read books? The only people I've seen complain about the detail of ASOIAF are those who wouldn't otherwise read, were first introduced through the TV show and wanted more of the background, to get further along in the story (through excitement or to avoid spoilers) and were overwhelmed/bored by the amount of depth (or unnecessary sh!te, depending on who you ask :p).

I would consider myself a big fantasy reader and picked up the first book about 15 years ago and just could not get past the first one as it just bombards you with character after character, at least it's not as bad in that regard say compared to the Malazan books which they can go and fúck right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,601 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

1st details revealed:

http://www.telltalegames.com/blog/86265/your-story-begins-first-details-on-game-of-thrones-a-telltale-games-series
    You will play the game from five different points of view. Each character you play as is a member of House Forrester; either a direct family member, or a person in service to the House. Scattered across Westeros and Essos, each character will play their part in seeking to save House Forrester from destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Looks like they are taking the GRR Martin Approach and giving us 5 intros so they can spam us with 5+ seasons of the game :pac:
    You will play the game from five different points of view. Each character you play as is a member of House Forrester; either a direct family member, or a person in service to the House. Scattered across Westeros and Essos, each character will play their part in seeking to save House Forrester from destruction.

Playing as five characters not only reflects the epic scope of Game of Thrones, but is also something that the player needs to be mindful of. This is because the actions of one character can ripple out to affect the rest of House Forrester. Multiply the actions of one character by five, and you're truly playing the Game of Thrones…where you win, or you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Don't like any of Telltale's work. Don't know why they just don't make cartoons instead of games that are barely interactive. That being said i'm very interested in this because its set in the world of Ice and Fire and im a massive fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cormac... wrote: »
    Looks like they are taking the GRR Martin Approach and giving us 5 intros so they can spam us with 5+ seasons of the game :pac:

It's lifted directly from how the books are presented, in the book each chapter is a characters name and told from their point of view, and jumps back and forth between them.

These episodes tend be short enough as it is so how much actual story will we get if the story has to be told from all 5 views :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

All five POVs might not feature in every episode, and its 6 episodes.

I think it might work well, and am definitely looking forward to it.

These could be longer episodes than we are used to, we just don't know yet.

calex71 wrote: »
    It's lifted directly from how the books are presented, in the book each chapter is a characters name and told from their point of view, and jumps back and forth between them.

These episodes tend be short enough as it is so how much actual story will we get if the story has to be told from all 5 views :confused:

That's what my thinking was, I've read the books and watched the show and I'd speculate this will be more about the overall story and less about the individuals. It'll be hard to build up a relationship with someone you're only playing as for 2 hours.
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    All five POVs might not feature in every episode, and its 6 episodes.

I think it might work well, and am definitely looking forward to it.

These could be longer episodes than we are used to, we just don't know yet.

I thought the 1st chapter of the Walking Dead Season 1 was plenty long compared to the Wolf Among us (please don't post any spoilers, I'm not finished the former but I am finished the latter). TWAU was about 8 hours all in, TWD Season 1 seems more like around 10 hours.

Best bet would be to break up chapters into 2 characters each, so that way they won't feel so isolated. But what do I know. I'm just a lowly fan.
    I'll still buy it :pac:

Release dates yall

Check out @telltalegames's Tweet: https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/538025079599144961

2nd Dec for Pc and PS4 us
    3rd Dec for PS4 Euro, xbox one and 360
    following week for ps3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Release dates yall

Check out @telltalegames's Tweet: https://twitter.com/telltalegames/status/538025079599144961

2nd Dec for Pc and PS4 us
    3rd Dec for PS4 Euro, xbox one and 360
    following week for ps3.

It's Telltale. Give it a year and buy the game when it's all there and get it for half the price.

titan18 wrote: »
    It's Telltale. Give it a year and buy the game when it's all there and get it for half the price.

Or you could say "It's Telltale. Buy it straight away and enjoy the episodes as they comes out"

Myself, might wait til around Christmas/New Years, see if there is a sale on season pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm really disappointed about this, one of my favourite series is being developed by the studio that I consider to be the worst out there. There already are two game of thrones games and even though they reviewed poorly I reckon they will be much better than this. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

titan18 wrote: »

Absolutely. Thats how I played the first Walking Dead game. I was late to the party and all episodes had been released before I started it and it was great.

For the second game the wait for new episodes was tedious so I will wait for all parts of this to be released before playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed about this, one of my favourite series is being developed by the studio that I consider to be the worst out there. There already are two game of thrones games and even though they reviewed poorly I reckon they will be much better than this. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

You sir, have appalling taste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

GarIT wrote: »

When are games based on movie/TV shows ever up to scratch? Its the rush to release that means they are usually subpar.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    When are games based on movie/TV shows ever up to scratch?

If someone doesn't pull this sentence apart on this forum I'll eat my hat :P

Potatoeman wrote: »
    When are games based on movie/TV shows ever up to scratch? Its the rush to release that means they are usually subpar.

mmmmm Telltale's The Walking Dead?? No rush with that and no rush with GOT either. Now, Activisions movie/tv show cash in's on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

sheehy83 wrote: »
    mmmmm Telltale's The Walking Dead?? No rush with that and no rush with GOT either. Now, Activisions movie/tv show cash in's on the other hand...

It wasnt a direct tie into the show and was not a timed release. Anyway most tie in end up rushed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

They gonna make so much money off the 100 episodes they release....

Out now on xbox one, not sure about PS4 but the one has a 2.4GB patch so I assume it's installing the whole series to unlock later :confused:

That could actually be a good thing maybe, and indicate the the series is nearly finished and will get more regular releases?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

PcGamer said it was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Started this lastnight, only played the first two chapters

First impressions are good, I'm not a massive GoT fan - haven't read books but I do like the TV show - and the story starts off at an interesting point.

The graphics look odd to me though, it's typical Telltale style but it has been given a sort of watercolour type treatment and it doesn't work IMO - a bit distracting

I'm liking it so far though, apart from that bloody Oirish accent one of the characters has.

COYVB wrote: »
    You sir, have appalling taste

Probably, but I like games for gaming, not story. Story is important but shouldn't be the main point, that's why I think TWD was bad.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought it was great, won't go into spoilers until a few more have played it. I might have to play again to see if give outcomes can be much different.

I agree about the water colours look, it is a bit odd. Have noticed things randomly going blurry at some points.

Only other quibble I have is the family seem a bit too similar to the Starks but that's not really a big deal. Can't wait for the next episode.

I will probably end up getting this so how do the episodes work. Do I have to deal with the same problems walking dead had or buying episodes separately or is the price on steam the whole game?

Only played half of it last night. Impressions are good so far. Though I also don't like the art style so much.

I does assume you have watched the show so does little or no explaining of the where and why of the setting, and could also have some spoilers if you haven't seen it but are planning on watching a box set for Christmas or something perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played the start yesterday, and it was excellent, and on par with the other telltales games, that I have played. Grabbed it on the Xbox One, as it was cheaper than getting it on steam.

I thought it was good. I love the art style. It looks better than the walking dead. Some of the real actors look a bit weird though; uncanny valley kind of thing. It plays like a mediocre episode of the TV show which is good enough for me. There were one or two genuinely great moments. Trying to be diplomatic with Cersai was a minefield, exactly how I imagined it to be.
    I should seen this coming: one of the main playable characters being killed off is exactly what GoT does but it was still incredibly shocking!

I feel like it suffers from some of the same problems TWD had. You are given the illusion of choice and the majority of the choices are too black and white. Even when you make one choice, the opposite ends up happening regardless. I'm sold on this despite that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

It's classic TellTale stuff, definitely agree that choice is just an illusion in these games, but that doesn't stop the 2-2.5 hour being great fun.

I think TellTale have done a great job at capturing the feel of Game of Thrones, so many of the encounters/conversations are extremely tense.

I like how in Kings Landing, I spoke to nobody
    but Margery
    for fear of one of Cersei's spies or Varys or someone finding out something.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    It's classic TellTale stuff, definitely agree that choice is just an illusion in these games, but that doesn't stop the 2-2.5 hour being great fun.

I think TellTale have done a great job at capturing the feel of Game of Thrones, so many of the encounters/conversations are extremely tense.

I like how in Kings Landing, I spoke to nobody
    but Margery
    for fear of one of Cersei's spies or Varys or someone finding out something.

I spoke to the
    coal boy but Margeary's other hand miad is peeved at me for asking her to leave the room. I presume Ethan dies no matter what you do? Feel like I chose the wrong sentinel too.

Is that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau that plays the maester? I thought he looked and sounded an awful lot like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭rizzla

Really liked it. The engine is really starting to show its age though. Also, do Telltale no longer show what decisions other people made at the end of the episode. Kinda liked to see if I went against the grain.

Advertisement