Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Support Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rusty247

Just a few competency questions, some CV questions and what you think the role entails. The interviewers were very friendly so there's nothing to worry about. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Oh dear. That went tits up! :D Didn't finish ANY section, some I wasn't even close to finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

A lot of these aptitude/psychometric tests are designed with way too many questions, that your average candidate has very little chance of completing successfully. They want to see how you work under pressure. After you fail to complete all the questions in the first section, you start thinking you have to work faster and the pressure is on.

I've done a good few of these tests and the majority of them I didn't complete in the given time. I've done 3 where I didn't finish all the questions and got through to the next stage. And the one where I did complete all the questions, I didn't get a call back but I think that was down to the group exercises after the testing.

IMO if you go at a pace where you feel comfortable and confident with the answers you're giving you have a better chance than rushing through them and making mistakes, doubting yourself on your last answer etc. They are looking for candidates who aren't going to rush and make mistakes under pressure.

I'd say you'll be grand! :-)

I wonder do they take into account people's behaviour at these things? Because there was a woman there who was... annoying. Every time they went to collect up the test scripts, she delayed them, for various reasons. Handing up the wrong thing, still trying to answer questions well after we were told to stop, not having her name and other info written in. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Shows an inability to follow instruction. Would be interesting to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Yeah that wouldn't look good and they definitely take behavior into account IMO. They obviously won't want to hire someone who can't follow instructions well.

I remember at one centre, there was this guy who was extremely annoying. They left about 12 of us in a conference room for about 15 minutes and he wouldn't stop talking and asking other candidates questions. I was thinking he was a plant by the company to see how other candidates would react to him or if they'd say something stupid to one of his questions.

At the end of the day session he asked a few more stupid questions that came across as arrogant and cocky. I remember looking at other candidates and could see them smiling to one another which wouldn't of gone unnoticed as there was easily 8 or 9 people observing us.

So maybe the woman was put there on purpose and people were observing the body language of other candidates around her. Looking for people laughing, smiling to one another, sighing, rolling their eyes to heaven etc. This kind of behaviour would certainly be a red flag for examiners.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid! Assessment centres can be nerve racking ,especially when its your first one.

• Advertisement

Brozy wrote: »
    Yeah that wouldn't look good and they definitely take behavior into account IMO. They obviously won't want to hire someone who can't follow instructions well.

I remember at one centre, there was this guy who was extremely annoying. They left about 12 of us in a conference room for about 15 minutes and he wouldn't stop talking and asking other candidates questions. I was thinking he was a plant by the company to see how other candidates would react to him or if they'd say something stupid to one of his questions.

At the end of the day session he asked a few more stupid questions that came across as arrogant and cocky. I remember looking at other candidates and could see them smiling to one another which wouldn't of gone unnoticed as there was easily 8 or 9 people observing us.

So maybe the woman was put there on purpose and people were observing the body language of other candidates around her. Looking for people laughing, smiling to one another, sighing, rolling their eyes to heaven etc. This kind of behaviour would certainly be a red flag for examiners.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid! Assessment centres can be nerve racking ,especially when its your first one.

Interesting!

Well, if it wasn't act, I don't fancy her chances of getting to the next round.

If it was, I internalised my annoyance thankfully. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 the_shark

Oh dear. That went tits up! :D Didn't finish ANY section, some I wasn't even close to finishing.

Was tough enough to complete on time ,you weren't that tall guy sitting in the middle that was finished with 2minutes to go for every section!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AuntieMaggie

Oh dear. That went tits up! :D Didn't finish ANY section, some I wasn't even close to finishing.[/QUOTE=

Same here. It was frustrating.

the_shark wrote: »
    Was tough enough to complete on time ,you weren't that tall guy sitting in the middle that was finished with 2minutes to go for every section!

Heh, no, unless I've suddenly sprouted a penis! :D

Just because he finished each section, doesn't mean he got them right. He might have done shít for all we know.

Heh, no, unless I've suddenly sprouted a penis! :D

Just because he finished each section, doesn't mean he got them right. He might have done shít for all we know.

Ha sorry,go TMNT ! But ya I know,he just seemed very confident,maybe too much,doesn't matter anyway.hope we hear back ASAP now !

• Advertisement

the_shark wrote: »
    Ha sorry,go TMNT ! But ya I know,he just seemed very confident,maybe too much,doesn't matter anyway.hope we hear back ASAP now !

First interviews early next week, yeah?

First interviews early next week, yeah?

Monday and Tuesday first round of interviews and Thursday and Friday second interviews,that's what the chap said at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

I had an aptitude test with AIB a few weeks ago. What you said there, is exactly how I felt as I headed home afterwards. Didn't finish any of the sections, noticed that the people on either side of me had finished more questions than I had, one of them was going back finishing off earlier sections when she had a few seconds to spare, she definitely wasn't supposed to be doing that but it was none of my business. One thing I could say though is that the questions I did manage to complete, I was confident I had answered a lot of them correctly, I didn't want to guess them and make too many mistakes for the sake of finishing the test. Anyways, I got called for interview, I didn't think it went to well at the time, could have been better, didn't get called to a second interview but I wouldn't rule yourself out getting called for interview just yet.

I had an aptitude test with AIB a few weeks ago. What you said there, is exactly how I felt as I headed home afterwards. Didn't finish any of the sections, noticed that the people on either side of me had finished more questions than I had, one of them was going back finishing off earlier sections when she had a few seconds to spare, she definitely wasn't supposed to be doing that but it was none of my business. One thing I could say though is that the questions I did manage to complete, I was confident I had answered a lot of them correctly, I didn't want to guess them and make too many mistakes for the sake of finishing the test. Anyways, I got called for interview, I didn't think it went to well at the time, could have been better, didn't get called to a second interview but I wouldn't rule yourself out getting called for interview just yet.

What do you think caused you not to get called for the second interview?

What do you think caused you not to get called for the second interview?

I would say being a little under prepared for the questions they asked. I had an interview for a different job a few hours earlier (which thankfully, I was successful in) so it meant that in the days coming up to the interview I had to prepare for 2 interviews. I used some of the same information for both interviews but I definitely would have been able to give more attention to the AIB one if I only had that one to prepare for. My advice to you would be to be prepared to have any answers to any questions that they might ask about your CV, and be prepared for very detailed questions about your competencies, how you demonstrated them in the past, and what the overall result was. I thought I had prepared quite well but they dug a bit deeper than I had expected and I found myself having to think of things on the spot, sometimes pausing a little bit which probably doesn't come across as confident or convincing at all.

I would say being a little under prepared for the questions they asked. I had an interview for a different job a few hours earlier (which thankfully, I was successful in) so it meant that in the days coming up to the interview I had to prepare for 2 interviews. I used some of the same information for both interviews but I definitely would have been able to give more attention to the AIB one if I only had that one to prepare for. My advice to you would be to be prepared to have any answers to any questions that they might ask about your CV, and be prepared for very detailed questions about your competencies, how you demonstrated them in the past, and what the overall result was. I thought I had prepared quite well but they dug a bit deeper than I had expected and I found myself having to think of things on the spot, sometimes pausing a little bit which probably doesn't come across as confident or convincing at all.

If it's not too much trouble, could you PM me examples of competency questions you were asked and anything they asked you in relation to the job you were interviewing for?

I realise I haven't even got an interview yet, but just wanna be prepared for if I do get called. :)

If it's not too much trouble, could you PM me examples of competency questions you were asked and anything they asked you in relation to the job you were interviewing for?

I realise I haven't even got an interview yet, but just wanna be prepared for if I do get called. :)

I admire that you're really trying to be super prepared! I'll do my best for you tomorrow, instead of sending a half arsed message now. Its 2 weeks ago now so I just don't remember everything, so I'll spend a bit of time thinking about it and I'll send you a message.

I admire that you're really trying to be super prepared! I'll do my best for you tomorrow, instead of sending a half arsed message now. Its 2 weeks ago now so I just don't remember everything, so I'll spend a bit of time thinking about it and I'll send you a message.

Thanks, no bother if you can't remember, I know I like to forget about interviews as soon as I finish them!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 vinny18

Has anyone heard anything from the aptitude test yesterday?

had interview on Thursday
    nothing yet :)

Hi guys!
    Have people still not heard anything since the second round interviews last week? I was hoping we would have found out by now, though I'm sure they're really busy.... Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

nope, nothing yet.
    I am dragging my phone everywhere but no call yet

vinny18 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything from the aptitude test yesterday?

Not a thing. The day's only half over though, give them a chance! :)

Rusty247 wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Have people still not heard anything since the second round interviews last week? I was hoping we would have found out by now, though I'm sure they're really busy.... Thanks! :)
    nope, nothing yet.
    I am dragging my phone everywhere but no call yet

They said in the aptitude test yesterday that offers would be out the week of the 20th. That was for our group, but maybe it's the same for everyone?

Join the club! :/ Hmmm, that would make me a bit better but I was told we'd find out this week? :/

Join the club! :/ Hmmm, that would make me a bit better but I was told we'd find out this week? :/

Oh OK, scratch what I said so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

i think they sad this week as well
    :confused:

We still have two and a half days left I guess... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mtnh

I'm getting impatient!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dani13xxx

I missed a phone call this morning at around 12 from a private number and was thinking this could be in relation to the aptitude test i sat yesterday. I am not sure however if they would call on private?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 vinny18

I doubt they would call on a private number, when they called me in relation to sitting the test the number was not private so no reason to change to private afterwards :)

Advertisement