Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BBC Four Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭brian_t

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Series 4 of Montalbano is being shown on BBC4 on Saturday 22nd June I think.

I'm not following the Inspector but did the series 4 repeat not start last Saturday.

Next weeks episode starts at 10pm due to the BBC Cardiff Singer of the World competition.

On Saturday 29th there is no episode due to Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What the hell has happened to Spiral? I presume it's finished it's run on Canal +.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Sardonicat wrote: »
    What the hell has happened to Spiral? I presume it's finished it's run on Canal +.

Over a while now afaik. Say it will be an Autumn transmission date. Ads on BBC 4 a good sign at least I guess

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the priest/Bishop who mentioned his granddaughter?? Montalbano didn't react to this at all.

I didn't watch but this is an explanation from a UK discussion board.

No, she was his niece. This was a translation error caused by the ambiguity of the Italian word "nipote", from which we get the English word "nepotism". "Nipote" means nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter depending on the context.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1520253/inspector-montalbano-bbc4-saturday-9pm/p72

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

At the end of that thread on digitalspy it says that Andrea Camilleri is in hospital after a cardiac arrest. Hope he'll pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

brian_t wrote: »
    I didn't watch but this is an explanation from a UK discussion board.

No, she was his niece. This was a translation error caused by the ambiguity of the Italian word "nipote", from which we get the English word "nepotism". "Nipote" means nephew, niece, grandson or granddaughter depending on the context.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/1520253/inspector-montalbano-bbc4-saturday-9pm/p72

Aahh, I should have thought of that because I've noticed some pretty odd translations from time to time. Thanks for clarifying.

Inspector Montalbano resumes on Saturday 6th July with A Nest of Vipers.

I presume that the last episode of what BBC4 call "series 4" will be on the following Saturday (called As Per Procedure).

Inspector Montalbano continues on Saturday 20th July with a repeat of the episode "Carousel" (BBC label this series 5 episode 1).

I presume that they will also repeat the episode "Love" (S5 - E2) on Saturday 27th July.

They will then have run out of Inspector Montalbano repeats so there must be something new for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Inspector Montalbano continues on Saturday 20th July with a repeat of the episode "Carousel" (BBC label this series 5 episode 1).

I presume that they will also repeat the episode "Love" (S5 - E2) on Saturday 27th July.

They will then have run out of Inspector Montalbano repeats so there must be something new for August.

I'm just back from a trip to Sicily. I swung by the location of the police station and they were filming new episodes.
    Mimi and Fazio were on set and taking pics with the locals.

Rumours of August start date for Spiral but nothing concrete. Getting a bit fed up waiting..! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Eod100 wrote: »
    Rumours of August start date for Spiral but nothing concrete. Getting a bit fed up waiting..! :P

Same here, but just bought the first couple of series DVD's off eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That Charles I: Downfall of A King doc looks decent (starts tonight at 9pm)

BBC4 does good historical Royal docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BBC Four are showing the PBS series Chasing the Moon on Tuesday to Thursday with two episodes per evening. It was shown only last week in the States the review I found was positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Roy Orbison presently knocking it out of the ball park. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

this is great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Aidric wrote: »
    Roy Orbison presently knocking it out of the ball park. :cool:
    this is great :)

You guys should probably follow the other BBC Four thread so.... ;)https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057829616

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

BBC Four are showing the PBS series Chasing the Moon on Tuesday to Thursday with two episodes per evening. It was shown only last week in the States the review I found was positive.

Watched the first 2 episodes this evening, brilliant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BBC News - Andrea Camilleri: Inspector Montalbano author dies aged 93

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48681253

RIP

New series alert!

Planespotting Live with Peter Snow on Tues-Wed-Thur at 8 PM

and

Revolutions, a six part at 9 PM on Tuesdays about inventions that changed the world with my favourite of the science presenters Prof Jim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00071ql
    In this major new series for BBC Four, co-produced by PBS, Jim Al-Khalili explores the extraordinary story of six remarkable inventions: the aeroplane, the car, the rocket, the smartphone, the telescope and the robot. All are familiar, yet hidden within them are thousands of years of thought, struggle, sacrifice, determination and insight.

The series also reminds us of both the visionaries we are all familiar with and those that many viewers will discover for the first time: Galilei Galileo, Leonardo Da Vinci, female pioneers Ada Lovelace and Bertha Benz, and medieval scholar Ibn al-Haytham, to name but a few. We peer into their original notebooks and sketches, and use state-of-the-art experiments, groundbreaking drama and CGI to shed new light on their discoveries.

Each episode explores little-known stories and is packed with incredible ideas, from the beginnings of robotics 2,000 years ago to the Hollywood starlet and inventor who, while trying to defeat the Nazis, made today’s mobile network possible. We see time and again how a completely chance discovery led to an application that no-one was expecting. The result is a mind-blowing, science-led journey through human history, full of unintended consequences and incredible connections. It celebrates the achievements of the some of the greatest minds in human history and reveals how science, invention and technology build on one another to change everything.

According to DigiGuide there are the first two episodes of Below the Surface on Saturday 3rd August.

• Advertisement

BBC Four showed series one of Mystery Road in September last year. Series two has already begun filming in Australia and co-stars Sofia Helin (The Bridge). She plays archaeologist Professor Sondra Elmquist who is conducting a dig near a remote coastal town when she encounters Pedersen’s Detective Jay Swan.

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2019/07/25/sofia-helin-to-star-in-series-two-of-mystery-road/

Darkness - Those Who Kill
    Den som dræber - Fanget af mørket (original title)

This 2019 8-part Danish crime drama was advertised tonight as "coming soon".

https://dramaquarterly.com/tag/den-som-draeber-those-who-kill/

Saturday 31st August, 9pm

BBC Four are showing the BBC NI series about The Troubles on Tuesdays at 8.30, looks interesting. Yes I know plenty can watch it on the regional channel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC Four are showing the BBC NI series about The Troubles on Tuesdays at 8.30, looks interesting. Yes I know plenty can watch it on the regional channel.
    +1

https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/09/06/spotlight-on-the-troubles-a-secret-history-bbc-one-ni-and-bbc-four-tue-10-sep/
    Seven episodes done by the Spotlight team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭cozar

watched 1st episode last night excellent. it had new information on it about Ian Paisley ad Martin McGuinness which i never heard before. a lot of video footage as well.

The Detectorists series 1 is starting a rerun on Sunday night with the first 3 episodes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zorro2566 wrote: »
    The Detectorists series 1 is starting a rerun on Sunday night with the first 3 episodes!

Here's a plot for another episode.
    Metal detectorists taken ill eating 'cannabis cakes' in High Melton

Still nothing on Spiral. Wonder if it will be next year at this rate!

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Still nothing on Spiral. Wonder if it will be next year at this rate!

From the start of October there are 12 Saturdays until Christmas. Spiral with 12 episodes only needs half of them - so there should be plenty of time.

Darkness: Those Who Kill finishes its run next weekend and on the following Saturday Sept 28th BBC4 will show the 2016 Pedro Almodóvar film Julieta.

Fans of European drama might be interested in The Killing Times Whopping Great Autumn/Winter Preview 2019 which covers all channels.

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2019/09/01/the-killing-times-whopping-great-autumn-winter-preview-2019/

Advertisement